Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Pot Chocolate - What Did I Wrong?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by arnes_king, Jun 10, 2013.

1. #1 arnes_king, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
    Hi everyone,

i am new to this forum so greetings to all of you :)

Let me first write the introducing to my story..

Me and 3 friends are smoking weed now for a long time for almost everyday (the last 1-3 years), the last 1-2 months we are smoking minimum 1, most days 2 and sometimes up to 5 grams of weed per day (just us 4) .... I think that it is too much and it seems that our tolerance is now really really big because no matter how intensive and how much we smoke now it has almost no effect, i just get the buzz like when you take jut few hits and that's all..... It is possible to go past that limit but that happens after about the 8-9th joint and it's even then not that i get high like we did before, we just smoke too much until you can't anymore and you are falling asleep ... (we are smoking joints, bongs(selfmade), gravity bongs(also selfmade) and whatever other way we know, we have tried everything that we have ways to do)

After searching on google and from earlier knowledge i know that pot edibles are a great and you get really high from them, so i thought that we should try to make some pot brownies or pot chocolate and see if we will get high from them :)

After a lot of googling we decided to make pot chocolate because it was the easiest for us.

I know that you need first to decarboxylate the weed for the THCA to become THC and thus active.
    I wanted first to do that with cooking oil but because the lack of exact information i decided to do it the way i have read : "Preheat the owen at 300F (148.8C), then put the weed in a bowl into the owen and let it there for 15 minutes"

Ok we decided to try it, we took 1gram of weed (i know it should be more but because we were sceptical we didn't wanted to put more in), put it in a bowl, preheated the owen at 130-140C (don't know the exact temp) and after some time we put the weed into the owen for 15 minutes...

After 15 minutes we took it out and let it cool down for a few minutes, before that we have melted 150-200 grams of cooking chocolate with water (and a little cooking oil), then i took the weed (it was really crisp and easy grindable  like it was written it should be), i grinded it really soft and put everything into the melted chocolate....

We have coocked it for a few more minutes at very low temp and after that we put it into the freezed..
    After more then 30 minutes in the freezer it was cooled down but still not 100% solid, it was more like a pudding, i don't know if we put too much water or it should be longer in the freezer to become solid but we couldn't wait so we took it out, made 4 pieces for us 4, took spoons and we ate all of that ...

I know that when eating pot that it takes from 30 to 90 minutes to kick in and because of that we had already to that time smoked 2 joints (just got buzzed like everyday).. After maybe 45 hour we smoked another one because there were still no effects.... After another 90 minutes i knew that it would not kick in if it hasn't till yet so we went all home disapointed...

Can somebody please explain to me what have we done wrong and how to do it proper the next time?

I am sorry for such big texts but i love to write down every detail :)

Thanks in advance

2. #2 BadKittySmiles, Jun 10, 2013
     Edibles can provide stronger, longer lasting effects from less material than you'd usually smoke, but activation or decarboxylation is only the first of several very important steps when making a cannabis edible :)

To begin with, I would have decarbed at a lower temp (220f - 104c/105c) and for an extra ten minutes or so, as directed in the guides I'll provide you below, from the CannaPharm sticky or 'pinned' thread. :)

But just as important, after activating it, you then need to actually extract that glandular material, and then continue processing in your oil or 'edible solvent' to promote bioavailability.

Otherwise, as you experienced, most of your potency simply goes in one end, and out the other without absorption! :eek:

Cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult for the digestive tract to process and absorb all on its own, even when it's been extracted and it's in the form of a pure concentrate such as BHO. We use the edible solvents we do, not just to extract that glandular material, but to facilitate its rapid absorption and delivery!

Here are some tutorials that will help you create high quality and medical grade edibles :yay:

But first to get your appetite going, here are a few photo excerpts from the CannaPharm thread....

This entire Thanksgiving Dinner, including the turkey, was fully medicated!

[​IMG]

(Canna chocolate can be made by simply melting your favorite store-bought brand of chocolate, then adding the desired number of doses of canna oil, or hash oil! But if you feel up for it, you can start from scratch like we often do, and make your own with select chocolate liquors, cacao powders, cacao/cocoa butters, and hash oil or canna oil, preferably still made with coconut oil or clarified butter, but for a 'gourmedible' and a more pure chocolate, at the cost of some absorption efficiency, you can even make your canna oil from cocoa butter! We use pure cocoa canna butters sometimes for weddings, anniversaries, and even just around the holidays :) )

<span>[​IMG]</span>

<span>[​IMG]</span>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canna S'mores, made with marshmallow, PB Canna Cookies, and Hashy Bars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Capsules are one of the most simple edibles, no further cooking required, and they may be enterically coated for patients who may specifically benefit from the release of cannabinoids below the stomach, in the duodenum. Alternatively, they may be used as suppositories to directly treat even lower regions. :eek:  :)

<span>[​IMG]</span>

<span>[​IMG]</span>

Fast & frozen wash concentrate..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just when you thought that the liquor flavored "Kopper's Cordials" couldn't possibly get any better...

We turned around, and made them with Golden Dragon. <span>[​IMG]</span>

<span>[​IMG]</span>

<span>[​IMG]</span>

To learn more, just head over and check out the CannaPharm here at GC's edible section, via any of the three links below :D

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Cannabis Concentrate (Edible & Smokable recipes included... similar to RSO/Phoenix Tears & BHO, but bioavailable & made with food grade/drinking alcohol)

-Medical Grade Cannabis Concentrate-

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Hash Oil (starting with dry-sift hash, same as capsule recipe, oil can also be used for cooking)

Med-Grade Hash Oil

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Canna Oil (starting with flowers/bud/trim etc)

Med-Grade Canna Oil

[​IMG]

Edit - :)

If video tutorials are more useful for you, here is the World Summit edition of the CannaPharm information....

You'll be wanting Vol. 1 - & - Vol. 4. , but I'll also include the previews..... the extra time-lapsed footage of little seedlings germinating and growing over the course of a day, obscuring the little GrassCity hello sign in a matter of seconds is pretty neat to watch, too. :D  :yay:

Both Rick Simpson and I were the headlining 'star speakers' of the Cannabis World Summit, the Summit is an annual, 10-day, free and informative event, available to all members of our community who are interested in cannabis, in its medical applications, and in what the major players in the community are up to. :)
      Nine of the ten days featured three or more speakers for each day, Rick and I were asked to share the Big 4/20 day of the Summit alone due to the volume of content we provided the community, and to our track records with treating and even curing cancer, as well as other illnesses, with our medical oils! My medical oil video tutorials, Rick's interview, and his documentaries can be found on Day 5 / 4-20-2013, along with some bonus footage from Rick. :D

Here ya go!

BadKat's CannaPharm : The Cannabis World Summit Edition...

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 1: Decarboxylation" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEa9a1riXl8

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 2: Flowering & Revegetated Clones" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMKeEwMSgb4

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 3: Hash Machine Demo" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shrUhcPLqb0

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 4: Medical Grade Oil" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v6wKwQO6Ko

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 5: Powerful Topical Bone Bars" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHr1m5ZQA0

BadKittySmiles World Summit Preview.. Medical Grade Canna Oil, Hash, Edibles, Cloning and more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffzSeSfeuM

BadKittySmiles - GrassCity!!! - Cannabis World Summit - Comment to WIN FREE SIGNED BeeLine Hemp Wick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkbclJ5wZKk

Hope this helps, good luck with your next batch! :wave:

3. #3 arnes_king, Jun 10, 2013
    Thank you very much for your fast and awesome reply :D

I am thinking that the easiest way for us for now is to try it again with canna chocolate but now i will do it like i've read in your answer, first i will make canna oil following the guide in your post and after that i will just melt my favorite chocolate and add the canna oil in it :) I i have not mistaken anything then it should be ok to do it like that?

Just a question, how much weed should we use for our canna oil and how much chocolate to take with that quantity of canna oil? Consider us as heavy smokers with very high tolerance so i want to know how much grams of weed is good enough for us to eat? :)

4. #4 BadKittySmiles, Jun 10, 2013
     If you have a high tolerance and for whatever reason can't make your oil very concentrated, then it may mean that it takes more than a small chocolate square per dose. :)

But if you don't mind a slightly bigger snack, and your tolerance isn't sky-high, you can certainly make canna oil and skip out on the hash oil. :)  For dosage purposes, just keep in mind that you should only really need to eat a little less than you'd smoke in a session, or during the day for heavier smokers, and it should hit you harder and last several hours longer than smoking. So the amount per dose is up to you; some friends may need to eat a little less, or a little more depending on their own daily intake levels.

If you don't want an oily, tasteless mess, you'll want to avoid adding much more than a Tbsp or two of oil for every three or four ounces of chocolate. If you have a favorite brand, it can really vary depending on the quality; some cheaper brands will definitely taste 'diluted' sooner than higher quality brands, since they low grade chocolate can often be pretty diluted to begin with (darker chocolate is ideally what you're looking for, by the way)!

If you have access to ethyl alcohol, whether it's non-denatured lab grade or even high proof 'everclear' from the local liquor store, then you should DEFINITELY consider following the Concentrate tutorial that I linked in the above post. This way you can very easily keep it down to a single, small bite of chocolate if you want, and even that much may be too strong for you if you're not careful! :D

To learn how to use the length of processing to control the end effect of your oil (shorter for more cerebral, functional, but sometimes mind-racy 'high', or longer by several hours, for more sedation, and a couch-lock 'stone') you'll want to read the Concentrate tutorial anyhow, or watch Vol 4. of the videos above. The effects will still be very much strain dependent, but you do have much more control over the outcome when making edibles than you have when smoking!  :)

Edit - And remember, melt your chocolate gently, when it's just barely melted over a -double boiler-, this is when you stir in your oil until it's smooth! Coconut oil or clarified butter are your BEST options, not only for extraction and digestive purposes, but because they'll help keep your chocolate solid at normal room temps, especially if you're using canna oil and it's a bit diluted, and you need to go a little overboard with it. ;)

5. Okay and thank you very much again my friend :D

I am happy that you took so much time just to guide me here into the right directions :D

I will look trough all of the tutorials and text which you gave me and then attempt to make it like it should be this time :D

6. Hey

it's me again :)

So we have tried firecrackers tonight, here is how we made them :

i took some crackers, 1 gram of weed and some eurocrem (nutella-alike)

I've set the oven temp to 150Celsius (302Fahrenheit) and let it preheat for 10-15 minutes

We made the firecrackers watching the pictures, and put them in alu-foil into the oven for 23 minutes....

There were 3 crackers we divided them into 4 equal parts because there were 4 of us (the 4th came later)

After that we let it cool down and ate all the crackers evenly divided.... they tasted much like weed when you smoke it

Now it is 1 hour and 45 minutes since we ate the crackers but still no effect :/ 

I don't know what we are doing wrong so we don't get high but we will just try to make canna oil one time and if it fails again then we won't try again :/

7. #7 wegrass, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2013
    I highly recommend just following badkat's canna oil tek. I found it extremely easy and the finished product is out of this world. Firecrackers have always been hit or miss with me. Stick to the tek, follow the directions and temp exact. You will be rewarded!

Also, some people say if you wait 1.5hours after eating a meal, then eat your edible, it is most efficient. 
    I have found I get strong effects either way (empty stomach vs. 1.5hrs), but sounds like this is a big factor for some people.

8. Any of BadKat's recipes will blow your titties off for sure! The cookies have me going back to bed sometimes.

9. Hey guys,

ok, today we have tried to make cannabis oil with BadKat's method...

We took 1.5 gram of good weed, i bought olive and vegetable oil (i wanted coconut oil but there isn't any here to buy), i make it exactly like in the tutorial described :

Ingredients/Tools
    - 1.5 grams good weed (Coffee grinder)
    - Mixed vegetable with olive oil (couldn't find anywhere coconut oil to buy)
    - Oven safe plate
    - Aluminum foil
    - Separate pan
    - Large spoon
    Directions
    Decarb
    - Preheat oven to 212 f (100 c)
    - Place weed in plate
    - Double seal plate with aluminum foil
    - Decarb weed in oven for 20 minutes 
    - Turn oven off and let plate cool in slightly open oven for 10 minutes
    Heat
    - Preheat oven to 212 f
    - Heat the mixed oil in separate pan on stove
    - Add heated oil to glass dish and blend well
    - Place plate in oven for 45 minutes at 212 f
    - Keep oven on and let plate cool outside oven for 10 minutes
    - Mash and stir oil with spoon
    Heat Again
    - Place plate in oven for 45 minutes at 212 f
    - Turn oven off and let plate cool inside oven until cool
    Freeze
    - Put the oil into freezer
    - Leave it in the freezer for 45 minutes (i know it says 2 hours but i couldn't wait that much)
    Strain
    - Preheat oven to 212 f
    - Remove the oil from freezer, allow to thaw to room temp
    - Place plate in oven until liquified
    - We didn't strained it because we had no filters..

Here is a picture of the oil after that :

[​IMG]

After that i took 2 cooking chocolates, each 90 gram, melted them with "double boiling", added the oil, mixed a bit and poured it into 4 glasses for us 4..... i couldn't wait for it to get hard so i just drunk it, it was really bad but i drunk it, my friend waited for it to cool down and ate it.... Now more then 2 hours have past and nothing has happened for any of us 4 :/

I am really disappointed and i don't know if i will try it any more ....

Thanks everyone who tried to help

10. #10 BadKittySmiles, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013

Next time, just be sure you've given yourself enough notice beforehand, so you can follow through with the tutorial, and you should begin to have much better results. :yay:

You *may* feel something over the next few hours, but from the sounds of it, I might not risk holding my breath waiting! :p

Let's put it this way... what's worth more, the money you spend on your herb, or your time?

If your time is really THAT much more valuable, and if saving a few hours by not following through with the directions, or by not shopping for the recommended oil is worth more, than the risk of wasting your bud.... then there's nothing much to be disappointed about. It's just that you'd be better off finding edibles from someone who does have the time. :)

Look at it this way.... what makes more sense. :)

A.) Starting your edibles early enough, that you have time to follow the directions (and preferably with the right **ingredients!) so they work, meaning you don't waste the time, or the money you do invest, possibly resulting in a new love affair with the power that is a properly made edible?

or...

B.) Trying several times in a row, each time realizing yourself, or from the advice of others, that if you follow the directions your outcome may be better... then, still rushing anyway, even though you know you're probably walking into the same problems you had last time? :p

(** Always avoid common cooking oil unless you have a known metabolic/liver issue that requires the more common long-chain triglycerides these oils are comprised of. If you can't find coconut oil, clarified butter would have been a better option for its short and medium-chain triglyceride content. The cooking oil you used contains zero MCTs or even SCTs, and no saturated fat!... those components are why canna butter has always been so popular, and the higher MCT content in coconut oil, is what has caused its popularity to skyrocket among the community, arguably surpassing butter :)  Cutting the process short, and using a solvent that's weaker and produces less absorption to boot, crippled the oil!)

I would also have added some time to the oil portion of the process, to compensate for the lower temperature used. Heat processing longer also would have been a good idea in an attempt to make up for cutting the freezing step short.

When you make adjustments and changes, you need to be sure that you're compensating for them. :)

And like I mentioned earlier, and I even MORE strongly suggest now, before you try making even one more edible, you should have a look at either the concentrate tutorial I provided, or Vol 4 of the video tutorials on making oil, to learn how to use the length of processing to manipulate the end-effect of your edible!
      In the earliest tutorials I directed the bare minimum required to begin seeing results at levels patients want in an active oil without causing degradation, this allows you to increase the processing time in 40 - 60 minute increments, sampling in between, so you may stop when you reach the ideal medicinal effect or sensations you're after. Next time you make oil, you have an idea where to stop without taking samples. :)

But processing for the bare minimum amount of time, at a lower temp than suggested, and then cutting the freeze short, all with a lower quality oil or 'edible solvent', could not possibly contribute favorably towards your outcome. :(

------------------

A Section I Call 'Tough Love' :p

Every time that you put in parentheses that you didn't have time for a step, or that you couldn't find an ingredient right away (or that you didn't have the time yet to devote to reading the tutorials recommended, for potency and dosing advice!).... each time, that was a subtle indicator or a warning.
     It meant that you and your friends needed to step back, make that tough call, and do some preemptive damage control on your upcoming day.

You either needed to start earlier, or you needed to be a little more patient so you could get together later on, or the following day, to sample the fruits of your labor. :)

A good edible IS an exciting experience! And it's worth waiting for. :)

Once you can resist the temptation to rush, and you can get over the impatience thing ( :p j/k ), then at least the majority, if not ALL of the people eating your edibles at the correct dosage will have a very good (if not TOO good a) time! :D

------------------

Now, the REAL nail in the coffin!.... Even if the oil had been made perfectly, and with the best of ingredients!

Edibles can provide stronger, longer lasting effects, than you'd have had by smoking the same material. This is why we usually make edible doses a little smaller than our daily intake, or a little less than the amount we'd smoke in a single session for lower-tolerance patients.

Knowing this, if you guys are smoking 2 grams a day, up to a gram or two shy of a quarter ounce, every single day, and you're often not getting the buzz that you're used to...

Then 1.5 g in edible form between the four of you, just isn't going to cut it!

You'd want to at least fall somewhere in between your average use, especially as high-tolerance smokers. :)

Edibles can be much more efficient and more economical, you'll stay stoned longer, and get more bang for your buck.... but even so, you still need to be at least a little realistic about your dosing! :p

------------------

Long story short!

1) Be sure you follow directions; use good ingredients and process as long as needed, or as directed in the guides.

2) Consume a realistic dose or quantity of herb... depending on your digestion, as little as one-half, to three-quarters or four-fifths or so, of your average daily/session intake should suffice*.

3) According to the above, a tolerance break may be in order if you're not smoking for medical reasons, or just for the pleasure of smoking. :)

( *If for 7 days, you smoke 1.5 grams on Monday and Thursday, 2 grams on Tuesday, 4 grams on Wednesday and Sunday, and 5 grams Friday and Saturday, then even the average is not close to the 1g - 1.5g used in your edibles!
     It's closer to 3.5g, according to that weekly schedule, and that's just a rough 'half-way' point... if you guys are sharing 5g once or twice a week, or more, and your lowest days are closer to 1.5/2g, then you really wanted to split closer to 4 - 4.5g, or about three times as much as you used in your last batch of oil.)

Hope this helps! Don't give up yet.....  once you catch on to the process you need to follow, you can start saving a tonnnnn of herb just by switching back and forth from edibles, to smoking throughout the week, or the month.

After a few days I (and most patients :p ) will begin to notice that we're tempted to smoke MUCH less during the days and weeks where we eat edibles, my own overall herb use drops dramatically versus my smoke-only days and weeks. :)

Whatever you waste during the learning phase, will quickly be made up for during just the first few days and weeks after you get the process down. :)

11. BKS speaks wisedom, don't be discouraged at a couple unsuccessful attempts.
    You guys have a hell of a tolerance built up, definitely going to take more than 1.5g.