Coco Problem

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by KMASTER223, May 28, 2013.

1. this was the case with min to it was the cal mag that was off by a bit. i havent changed anything but that and it work wonders

2. Hi there
    I've read elsewhere that you should never flush with plain water as coco is an inert media, otherwise you can suffer from nutrient deficiencies. The bigger the plant, the worse the effect can be.
    Hope it helps, something else to consider at least.
    best of luck 

3. Sometimes you have to flush though.

Once you add nutes to the water the PH drops right down and you have to bring it back up, well that's what I have to do anyway.

4. There was a note back there a bit, (Bongthra, I think)  suggesting that Hygrohybrid (the video guy)  recommends watering once every two weeks in Coco.

Just wanted to point out - that's WRONG!.  If Hygrohybrid DID say that, it must have been an error, as anyone who knows of him, and the methods he uses.  I use 20 litre pots, and they need water every 4 to 5 days.  In coco.

Someone else mentioned that problems with coco are harder to resolve...  Can't see the logic behind that.  Perhaps pure hydroponics is easier to fix, but coco sure beats soil for turning a situation round fast.  

I've suffered in the past with salt buildup, which (I think) caused the leaves to under curl.  When this has happened before, I've flushed with mag adjusted water, and then finished off with a fresh dose of nutrients.  Perhaps there are enough nutrients IN the roots to sustain them for a time, but as I see it, I'm replenishing the depleted/oversalted matter with fresh, oxygenated feed.

I use the Canna feed chart, but I reduce the quantities by 30%, or less.   These quantities, like all "recommended" quantities, are based on a 1,000 watt lamp.  I use  600 watt hps.  Which of course, if you've been listening, would indicate that I should reduce the feed strength commensurately, i.e., by 40%.  

I agree.  My current grow is running at 60% strength, and seems to be doing ok.

So - to recap - coco needs watering a lot more than once every two weeks.

Ijail

5. not coco,he was feeding every two weeks in rdwc and just topping off with cal mag ro water in between.I personally feed and water every 3 days in coco never exceeding 900 ppm,with 20 to 30%runnoff.

6. I couldn't get the balance quite right with coco, and always suffered less than healthy plants - so I switched to perlite/vermiculite hempy buckets.  Same results.  

However, I got hold of some Magi-cal plus (similar to Calmag, which, for me, is awkward to get hold of), cut back on the ferts, added some silica, both for strength, and to raise the ph to around 5.8.  

Results are MUCH better.  As I suspected, it was a cal/mag ratio problem, coupled with overfeeding.  

I've had a few hempy grows now, and I prefer it to the coco/airpots I had.

Thanks for this link..!

7. It was heat stress.

8. I would suggest using ro water with the Canna coco line nutes there is no need to pH although I do and you don't need to add cal mag because its already in the a+b it is a bit pricey but totally worth it IMO canna coco nutes works great with canna coco medium. I'm def not saying its the only way we all know this is not true but it is what works for me with excellent results and could benefit many coco growers running into constant problems