Wanna Know Why Marijuana Is Still Illegal...................?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by JoeVullion13254, May 21, 2013.

1. #21 Old School Smoker, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
    I am involved in NORML and I advocate for legal MMJ.

2. I concur on all points. We NEED people to run for pro-legalization candidates for state legislature. The states are the battlefield, and where legalization will begin. Marijuana's ground zero, so to speak. In Virginia I'm trying to make a state party committee, and actively fielding candidates for the House of Delegates, (our lower house). However, what scares me, is that if the federal government decides to let the states decide, what's to stop the really conservative states (like Virginia) to make minor possession a capitol offense? 

3. Pressure from the larger % of pro pot smokers will stop such an extreme act. These people know they are fighting a losing battle, Agreed, a handful of extremist states may tighten up on some posession/manfacturing laws but I feel this is only a select few. Even here in Arkansas, a measure to allow medicinal marijuana almost passed in '12. It will pass in 2014 with a more organized effort and leader states like Co. and Wa. actually legalizing with few if any negative effects. The people/voters are watching and as more states legalize, and more and more see the obvious benifits of legalization, the hardcore nutjob states will be forced to give in and back off.

4. It won here in michigan with 63% of the vote so I dont think voting is the problem

5. None of my pot smoking friends vote. The way I see it, if none of my friends vote (and I am 51) then how many more pot smokers here in Arkansas did not vote? The measure failed 51% - 49%. This was the first time a MMJ measure has been on our ballot. Arkansas would have been the first southern state to legalize MMJ. I am confident it will pass next go-round not so much because my pot smoker friends are going to vote, but because the organizers of the ballot initiative have momentum (and money) on their side. This initiative is being backed/financed by pro pot organizations which I bow to and express my deepest appreciation for. The sad fact is if MMJ is legalized or not it will do nothing to reduce the harsh sentancing for non perscription holders that get busted with pot. I have read of people in my town getting sentenced to years in jail for posession of a few hydrocodones. This place is really in a time warp.

6. #26 Kiwimann, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2013
    Marijuana is illegal because legalisation is not at the top of most people's agendas, taxes usually are. Even pot smokers are more likely to vote for tax cuts than legalisation. So that's the first problem.
    Second problem is that a lot of people involved in the pot culture don't want it legalised or decriminalised. My former dealer is one of those pot smokers that doesn't want to lose his niche.
    Thirdly, a lot of otherwise progressive people are conservative when it comes to drugs. The stigma attached to the gateway drug is a huge obstacle. Thanks, Reefer Madness.
    Finally, just like it was with the Civil Rights movement, this isn't going to end with us pot smokers all joining arms. Thinking that pot smokers should all unite is not helpful, only wishful thinking. All people need to be better educated. As soon as that happens, there will be no opposition to legalisation.

Not an excuse? I'm sorry but fuck you. I will keep my job over trying to help a "movement" that is going to move it self over time. 
    Not everybody is a pothead loser who sits at home all day smoking weed. Some of us have jobs and other things in life that kind of have to take priority. Yeah it fucking sucks but I'm not going to potentially make myself homeless just to stand up for a "cause". 

The wheels are in motion. They have been for the past 5-10 years. 4 years ago I talked to many MMJ operators in CO who all said "just wait half the US will be medical in the next 5 years" and that is exactly what happened, along with 2 states fully legalizing with more to follow next year. The movement has rapidly progressed over the last 2 years so I don't know how you're getting the impression of "nothing is happening". 

8. #28 Kronny, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2013
    Decriminalizing would be a far better solution to the problem. Keep the man out of my bag thank you. There is more than enough fine greenery around. The only people who benefit from legalization are the people that can afford a "store" and people that have already been careless with their drug of choice. Let the flames begin... ;)

Oh yeah and your local economy from the THC dui's...smh

9. Depends on the teminology used.
    Decriminalizing doesn't help if you are gowing your own, nor if you are carrying enough to make a patient some RSO. :smoke:

10. Decriminalizing would make it ok to have/grow any amount. Its legal in WA where i live and you can only posses 28 grams anymore and you will still get a fine and or jail time... So legalizing did little to nothing. It also enacted more pot dui emphasis, Before it was almost non existent. Also if you get pulled over and the officer has any probable cause manufactured or not. You can be forced to give a blood sample..
    I think if people actually read the bill they would have voted no. Hooray for bandwagons

That's why I stand by the first part of my post.
    Example: What if they only decriminalize up to 3.5 Grams. No change for growing.
    Example: Washington's limits.

It's all in the terminology. I want full legalization, without the limits. :smoke:

12. Holly shit. Someone gets its. That is why it will never be legalized in ca. We're not that dumb

13. Read the rules dummy. You are about to get banned so fast it's gonna make your dick spin. Plus now this thread will be deleted forever.

14. Wait, did I miss something? Why will this thread be deleted? 

He's just retarded. 

16. It's simple. The government makes more money from it being illegal. They convict more and make more money that way. Why would they want to legalize weed and lose money.

17. You know, for many many years, I have truly believed that your vote doesn't amount to jack shit. However, with legalization in Washington and Colorado actually going through, it appears I may have been wrong. Doesn't change my belief on federal elections, but maybe I will start voting for local stuff. I'm 27 and have never stepped foot in a ballot box or whatever they do these days. My state just got medical signed like last week, so I'm really re-considering my stance on a lot of things lately. I just might participate in the 2014 "governor's" election or whatever the fuck it's called. Mind you, I'm writing in my vote, cuz I don't trust any of those cocksuckers, but goddammit I'm voting!

18. Legalization starts with fighting all the social stigma and misinformation which is prevalent in our culture. People need to get educated about what cannabis really is and isn't.   

Really, this is what a lot of it really boils down to, The general public has had so much bs shoved down it's throat over multiple generations thats it's gonna be tough to change all these preconceived notions.

Thankfully though, more and more people are starting to wake up and realize that weed is not such a bad thing and want our laws reformed.  

Even so, the more who are educated about the facts the better. Anyone can correct ignorance if they have knowledge, even if it's just one of your friends next to you who says something misinformed it can still help if you set the facts straight.  

Knowledge is power....  

19. I agree with Jumbo... Wow that was well said! ^_^

We all love the green
    You and I
    Let's smoke some weed
    & get high! :)