Can We Have A Cactus/succulent Thread?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by junkheadrev, May 18, 2013.

1. #141 babybleu, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
    How bout this for Michigan grown Aloe DSC02832.JPG

2. #142 StayLowGrows, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
    ^ Those are beautiful.

I'll throw my aloe in the mix...transplanting her today or tomorrow and repotting the pups too. Got the pots and soil ready.

7 pups are on the other side of the pot.
    IMG_20150319_134948.jpg

3. How old are those plants? I've got 2 that are almost a year old and not nearly as big, also no pups yet :(

4. hello everyne! just through this thread because i grabbed these succulents for a steal and require assistance please! trying to see what i should as far as getting these lovelies some homes....

im a little tight on the moolah but as of now, i can afford the ingredients for some diy soil, some nutrients and maybe a container or 2, but i really need some budget ideas.

here are the pics...thaaaanks!!!

Attached Files:

5. I just found out dragonfruit iis a type of cactus

And its from Mexico not asia

-Yuri

6. Dragon fruit cuttings:
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1444018382.646757.jpg
    And some san pedro cuttings:
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1444018429.131401.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1444018449.965576.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1444018479.767691.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1444018503.971001.jpg
    Just got the san pedro from a woman in a trailer park in san bernardino. She only wanted 5 bucks for all that. I gave her 10. ;)

7. Can anyone identify this cactus for me? I think it's some kind of trichocereus...but which one?

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446884323.039481.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446884364.808182.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446884391.692437.jpg
    And here's a small piece that was growing off the side of the other one...
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446884448.047179.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cool thread! I have a Christmas cactus that's been neglected. I'm trying to rehab and clone so I wanted to see what a good medium would be.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I think the xmas cactus is similar to the dragon fruit plant, yeah? I take a cutting and let it callous (about a week it two) then stick it in a 50/50 coco/perlite mix. Works really well for me. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. I live in zone 5-6 not the best but I've got everything to regulate a hot arid climate and was or have been interest in cacti growing for a few months now. Seen a real nice page on IG. Any thing a beginner looking to get started should be aware of. I'm a moderately knowledgeable with growing. Have many books but not many focusing on hot arid cacti regions and species. Thankx

Sent from my Z936L using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. part of my succulent collection
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Some of the most important things to remember when first starting are that these plants need LOTS of sun, but too much unfiltered sun can damadge them. They definetly can't just be placed on a desk or in the living room or they will grow skinny.
    Also they need really well draining soil. Cactus are easy to take care of because they don't really need to be taken care of. As long as they have the right soil, lots of sun and a pretty dry environment they should do well.

Once winter comes stop watering, most cactus go dormant once it gets cold.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Nice collection man:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Yeah I have a 1000w HPS and MH plus various 300w homemade lights. I have a good recipe for sandy soil, do peat, vermiculite, lava roxks and rock dust. organic soil plus garden tone. Any special nutes or just the basics?

Sent from my Z936L using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. I have no experience with growing cactus under lamps except when I'm germinating, and most people suggest after about a year they should get some sun, because most l setups won't give them the amount of light they need and causes them to grow skinny on top.

However some people do have success with lamps and if it works for you then more power to you. If you have success please update the thread. I'd like to see how it works out since I've never really tried it for mature plants.

If you add sand to the soil make sure it does not have silica in it, and obviously avoid clumping sands like sand box stuff. Make sure to remove any large wood chunks as well.

Avoid plastic and glazed pots if you can, it tends to keep the soil too soggy for too long and can cause root rot and infection. If all you have is plastic, then just make sure the soil drains really well.

You shouldn't water every day, or even every week. I live in Texas, and most of the time, especially for my columnar cactus, I would go up to a month without giving a drop of water, and then give it a good long watering.

You can add cactus fertilizer during waterings every month or so during the growing season, but don't go overboard and use low nitrogen fertilizer.
    Some faster growing species can handle more nitrogen than the small slow growing cactus.

• Like Like x 1
  16. You ever grown any variegated cactus? I just got a variegated prickly pear and I'm wondering how fast it will grow compared to my spineless prickly pear.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I have grown variegated cactus, but both were crested, which is another mutation that, among other things, causes it to grow much slower. Both plants were grafted as well, which also affects how fast a plant grows.
    So I have no first hand experience with variegated cactus on their own roots.

Some variegated cactus can't even grow on their own roots if they completely lack normal pigment, and have to be grafted, so I assume it can definitely slow down growth.
    But because most speceise of prickly pear grow so fast, you may not even notice a difference.

Is the variegated cactus the same species as the spineless prickly pear? If there is a major difference in growth, it may have more to do with that than with its mutation.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The variegated is supposedly Oputina monocantha, and the spineless might be O. cacanapa. And the variegated is just striped variegation, both are growing on their own roots, and both are still small (2 and 4 pads). I'm guessing it would be pointless to compare their growth, but that's interesting what you've grown was grafted, do you remember what they were?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Oh ok, do the pads look like normal prickly pears or do they sort of have weird little pads? I think that species has a few variegated forms.

Both were san pedro crests, grafted so they would put out more growth.

• Like Like x 1