Can We Have A Cactus/succulent Thread?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by junkheadrev, May 18, 2013.

1. #121 junkheadrev, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
    Very nice. I had several that i saved from home depot. The thing is , alot of the plants at big box stores die before anyone even buys them from neglect or over watering.

Good start to a collection.

2. #122 junkheadrev, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
    Double post

3. Home depot is the EXACT store this happened lol

Seems they hire the same goof balls at all their locations eh?

Heres a secret we recently discovered. They have a clearance rack at home depot and lowes for plants. I scored a lot of herbs n trees n shrubs for a couple bucks.

4. Here's the newest addition to my succulent family posted above!
    [​IMG]
    Guy was havin a yardsale. Said he wanted 8 bucks for her. I told him I only had 5. Six he yells at me. I said, I have 5 as I pulled out 5 ones and counted them. The pot cost me 6 he says as he takes it reluctantly, then tells me it was his grandmothers and she's very ill. I felt bad for his situation, but I wasnt trying to rip him off, I just only had 5 bucks. So I told him I would take very good care of the plant and never let anything happen to it. I brought it home, the medium is pure sand, so i added a layer of 420 recipe soil, about an inch, then put these recycled glass silica rock on top.

5. #125 lazytoker, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014

Did you get the name for that? I found one growing wild around here (florida) a couple years ago and replanted it in my front yard. It's grown like mad since then!

6. No i didnt. Its very unique and different from all the others the guy had for sale. Its got very very tiny needles compared to any other succulent ive ever seen. The guy even told me, you have an eye for uniqueness.

As soon as I started to walk away it fell over. I wrapped a magazine around it and held it upright as I was a passenger on the way to do errands and held it all day. When I got home my arms were filled with those little needles and my hands too!

The plant fell over all the way. As you can see in the pics it seems to be standing up a little, but im going to leave it for now. I assume watering through the glass silica rock will help improve the hardiness of the cell wall, as thats what silica does. But I was bummed it fell over. I have many large pots, 15-20 gallons, so I will put this in medium rather than plant outside. I own my land, but seeing my neighbors cactus makes me not want to plant any. Seems a mess to keep up with maintenence but I could be wrong. The wife wants to put something out front that doesnt need much water. Maybe ill have a succulent patch out there soon enough.

7. #127 rain dancer, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

Update :)

8. That last one on the right cost me a dollar :)

Was discounted at lowes on clearance

9. My favorite thing at nurseries and gardening stores is their discounted section. Not a single plant I've bought discounted has died when I brought it home, they just need a little TLC.

Im starting to get into the cacti/succulent game, picked up a coral cactus for one doll-hair at Lowes. I love sempurvivums and the bear paw succulent.

10. im trying to identify this cactus I want, but cant find the name, anyone know what it is?
    [​IMG]

11. I should post pictures of my new ones, maybe I will one day.
    Sadly all my bigger ones are now gone, Mites :mad:

I started some Pedro off from seed, I didn't think they would do very well so I started 50 and got 48!!!
    I've gifted most of them away but still got around 20 in my own collection.

12. I'll have the answer tonight when I get back from work at 11 est. We sell them where I work

13. Awesome, thanks a lot brother!

14. You rock steve! :metal:

Thank you kindly! :)

15. Np man, glad to help out! Those things have a pretty good amount of weight to them and those spines are pointy and very, very strong. I certainly wouldn't mind having one myself. Apparently they propogate from the base so they eventually form mounds of multiple cacti, I'd love to have that!

[​IMG]

16. First pic I have the same cactus, it looks awesome when it blooms! 

17. The first few months you have them you find out if they'll make it or not id say. I live in Illinois and mine do fine through the winter inside and summer outside. 
    theyre nice cause if you forget to water them its no biggy haha

18.   I had some sanpedro cuttings I was going to be transplanting. Sadly they didn't make it ;)

19. New growth, 2 weeks after a kelp foliar.
    [​IMG]