Can We Have A Cactus/succulent Thread?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by junkheadrev, May 18, 2013.

1. A little late but one of my twisted ribs flowered again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I still have not re potted my peruvian,  i was going to see if you guys had any tips? lol

Its a bit top heavy and sways, how far deep is it safe to plant it? will the buried section of the cacti root :confused_2:

The pedro went easy, and i had enough fine pebble to layer about 3/4 of an inch on top and a fistful in the soil. but the peruvian seems a bit fragile and dangerous at the same time lol. 

3. The only plants I have that are as big as that peruvian torch are my pedros.
    And they have pretty short spines .
    I would go to the a local garden center and buy some thick gloves.
    And I would just bury it as deep as it was when you got it , not much deeper.
    You can get a few stakes and tie it up to keep it stable until it can hold itself up.
    it's also good to tamp the dirt down a bit.
    I don't have any other tips except keep trying until it's somewhat stable.
    But it's not a good idea to plant it much deeper .

4. thanks man, i was looking at my pedro and she/he has a few tiny red dots on the flesh, im hoping its not a fungus or rot, ill post pics later this evening. the peruvian looks killer though. 

5. [​IMG]

heres the weird rusty looking spots all over my pedro

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any ideas if i should worry about the pedro?

6. That Peruvian really is a beauty.
    As for the Pedro the dots are very common.
    I wouldn't water it for at least a week after potting or after new dots pop up.
    They will scar up and it should be fine. They aren't very pretty but they are very common.
    You should only worry if the marks are squishy .
    If you don't like the marks then you should never buy a bridgesii , because they seem to be very vulnerable to these scars.

Many of my pedros and even some of my little babies have scars, mostly due to being shipped in the same box .
    There's many reasons for scaring.
    As long as it isn't oozing or soft it should be ok.

7. Thanks man, I was worried about ol pedro' lol nothing squishy about it, so I guess its good. The peruvian is a nice looking cactus, you cant see in the pics but its almost blue at the bottom, pretty cool looking. But i hope the roots anchor it down good soon, its awfully top heavy, but its also tied to a support piece of bamboo. Right now im just kind of easing them into the sun, morning sun with afternoon shade, then evening sun like the literature they came with said to.

8. #48 guest/banned, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    Great thread, shame the plus rep button has gone.

I've just bought a new collection, they will not even arrive until next week but I'm reading as much as I can before they get here.

9. we want plenty of pics when they arrive.

10. #50 guest/banned, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

I'm sure I'll be taking plenty of pictures :)

I've never had any sent in the post before I hope they make it.

11. #51 guest/banned, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    gone

12. [​IMG]

13. Just got back from a business trip to New Mexico.
    The site i was on had so many fucking opuntia cactus.
    I picked up 4 different species , one of the species I picked up had a long and short spined variety, so I got both.
    Also grabbed one from a rest area in west TX.
    With permission both times of course (please never steal cactus , thats evil)

Here are the opuntias and a tree chola cactus , nothing special but the last one does look like a guy with a boner standing on one leg :lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. #55 guest/banned, Jun 18, 2013
    gone

15. Damn sorry to hear that they are in such horrible condition, I hope they all pull through .
    Hmm I don't know , I would say a sunny window would be the best , but there is aways the risk of sunburn.
    I Would slowly introduce it to a sunny window over a week or two , though I doubt there is much chance of sunburn in a window.
    I have never grown these cactus personally , but I know the soil should be drain well and you probably didn't even need to moisten it.
    But do not water them while they are squishy.
    Good luck .

16. #57 guest/banned, Jun 19, 2013
    gone

17. My cacti have got mites :mad:  :cry:

That's what is wrong with them. Turns out they needed watering too, they are now nice and firm but infested.

18. Damn that sucks man.
    Are they little red spider mites?

19. #60 guest/banned, Jun 24, 2013

gone