Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Blueberry Extract

• Please log in to reply

Still Smokin

Still Smokin

iBurn

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,981 posts
A friend of mine who has just started a very nice hydroponic grow and is using White Widow seeds claimed to me that you can use blueberry extract (which im guessing you can buy at a grocery store) to create blueberry buds. He went on to tell me that if you dilute it enough (cant remember the exact formula) and do not over do it with watering with the extract that you can successfully turn any strain of marijuana into a blueberry strain - it does not increase its potency he said but it gives it a blueberry-fruity smell and taste. He says he is going to create "Blue Widow" or "Widow-Berry" by conducting this method. Does anybody know if this is in fact possible?

-mu

-mu

me+cannabis=me

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,113 posts
This is two questions.

1) Can you turn any strain into Blueberry?

No. No way. To get "Blueberry", you need seeds with Blueberry genetics.

2) Can adding fruity/sweet substances in the flowering phase create fruity/sweet flavours in the finished product?

Maybe, but probably not in the way most would assume.

It's true that you can use complex sugars in an organic grow (eg. molasses), to feed the soil organisms into producing a perfectly balanced, rich soup of nutrition to the plant, thereby enabling it to fulfill its genetic potential, which should have a fruity sweetness to it anyway, being cannabis; though every strain is, of course, different. Quality guanos have this effect, too, but the buds don't actually taste like shit! I can't comment on hydro.

I've not experimented with "adding flavour" to flowering plants, either, so I can't give you an answer to that. Plant science says it's unlikely that the flavour would remain in-tact (plants being ionic feeders, and all that), but I know from experience of testing growing tips in the middle of a urine-based veg schedule, certain tastes do pass straight through into the leaves!

I do now they use cannabis to mop up toxic chemicals in disaster sites, like Chernobyl, so cannabis certainly has the ability to suck up all sorts of crazy stuff (which is good, for my research).

Fruit juice? Dunno, but I'm curious.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will have a better idea.

-mu
  • mjmama25 likes this

max11max

max11max

T.H.C User

• Bronze Member
  • 567 posts

bluebong

bluebong

Look, a fat little goat!!

• Registered Upgraded
  • 211 posts
Hmm. This is interesting. I know of adding glucose to the water during the flush, grow shops even sell the stuff bottled ("Sweet", I think it's called). But flavoring?

I have had weed that tastes EXACTLY like blueberries. Even people that didn't smoke said it smells like blueberry jam in the bag. It was very very good weed, so I figured it was great Blueberry genetics, but now I wonder.

Wouldn't it be great if you could smoke a joint that was like eating a burger? Get high and take care of the munchies at the same time....

max11max

max11max

T.H.C User

• Bronze Member
  • 567 posts

mjmama25

mjmama25

NorCal Bladie

• Registered Upgraded
  • 13,714 posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm interested in this topic. I think you can make a plant take on fruit flavors, much the same way using fish emulsions in flowering will create fishy tasting buds. I'm interested in using vanilla extract, orange extract, and lemon as flavoring for buds, along with blueberry. I need to do more testing to know the actual results. I assume that it will work, at least to some degree.

CL4P-TP

CL4P-TP

Interplanetary Ninja Assassin

• Bronze Member
  • 7,761 posts

mjmama25

mjmama25

NorCal Bladie

• Registered Upgraded
  • 13,714 posts
What chemicals? If you get pure extracts there are no chemicals. I'm not saying it will work for sure, but why does bud take on a fishy taste from fish emulsions if it can't take on flavor? No disrespect, just asking your thoughts on this.

Ccoastal

Ccoastal

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 5,325 posts
Delta 9 tetrahydrocannabinol is a chemical lol, had to be a smart ass, as for flavor an old local hippie trick is to cure with fruit. Takes skill to prevent mold tho, be careful.
  • mjmama25 likes this

SanDiegoStonerz

SanDiegoStonerz

Cannabis Connoisseur

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,903 posts
I tried to feed my plant sugar and the thing just fucking rotted.. Epic fail

Ccoastal

Ccoastal

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 5,325 posts

I tried to feed my plant sugar and the thing just fucking rotted.. Epic fail

That's would be cuz u use molasses or corn syrup instead f sugar, it helps the nute uptake

GrapeStreet

GrapeStreet

Be Good, Burn Well

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,221 posts
Ever smoked sugar...it sucks.

Check out the reasons for "curing" including not only decarboxylation of THC, but also the expenditure and breakdown of glucose in the plant to GET RID OF THE HARSHNESS THAT COMES WITH SMOKING THOSE SUGARS.

Adding sugar may make it smell sweet, and if you make a tea, I'm sure it tastes sweeter, but sugar is bad for smoking, and one of the reasons for a full flush it to strip the nutrients from the plant, so that while curing, the plant uses the rest of it's nutrients up and burns it's sugars before smoking.

Blue Widow would probably be a cross of the "blueberry" genetics and White widow. It could be a stable F10 or a Dom-State F1, but adding blueberry flavoring isn't quite the same.

--
the reason molasses is added is not to help nute uptake, but to feed bacteria and fungi, THEY help the nutrient system in a number of ways. The plant may take some of the sugars, but it's not in a readily available form when you add it to the soil/res.

the reason your plant rotted is because you overfed the breakdown bactr, and created an environment for other species that ate your plant. Or, the syrup you created caused an anaerobic environment in the soil, killing the plant and the microherd.

Edited by GrapeStreet, 24 July 2011 - 11:07 PM.

mjmama25

mjmama25

NorCal Bladie

• Registered Upgraded
  • 13,714 posts
You can get blueberry extracts without much if any sugar. Same with Lemon and Vanilla. And I've never had any problems with using molasses late in flower so I don't see any reason a mildly sweet extract would hurt anything. Maybe the fruit juice is a bad idea though. I think to have any real effect it (it it's even possible) it would need to be used throughout flowering. I'm still stuck on the idea that if fish emulsions can make a plant taste like shit, fruit could make it taste yummy. But people who used fish emulsions, that was in the feeding regimen for the whole grow, not just the end. So maybe adding extracts the whole time would make a difference. All that said, the extracts are way to expensive to be worth it, expect maybe lemon which would be too acidic.

GrapeStreet

GrapeStreet

Be Good, Burn Well

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,221 posts

You can get blueberry extracts without much if any sugar. Same with Lemon and Vanilla. And I've never had any problems with using molasses late in flower so I don't see any reason a mildly sweet extract would hurt anything. Maybe the fruit juice is a bad idea though. I think to have any real effect it (it it's even possible) it would need to be used throughout flowering. I'm still stuck on the idea that if fish emulsions can make a plant taste like shit, fruit could make it taste yummy. But people who used fish emulsions, that was in the feeding regimen for the whole grow, not just the end. So maybe adding extracts the whole time would make a difference. All that said, the extracts are way to expensive to be worth it, expect maybe lemon which would be too acidic.

Well stated.

SanDiegoStonerz

SanDiegoStonerz

Cannabis Connoisseur

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,903 posts

Ever smoked sugar...it sucks.

Check out the reasons for "curing" including not only decarboxylation of THC, but also the expenditure and breakdown of glucose in the plant to GET RID OF THE HARSHNESS THAT COMES WITH SMOKING THOSE SUGARS.

Adding sugar may make it smell sweet, and if you make a tea, I'm sure it tastes sweeter, but sugar is bad for smoking, and one of the reasons for a full flush it to strip the nutrients from the plant, so that while curing, the plant uses the rest of it's nutrients up and burns it's sugars before smoking.

Blue Widow would probably be a cross of the "blueberry" genetics and White widow. It could be a stable F10 or a Dom-State F1, but adding blueberry flavoring isn't quite the same.

--
the reason molasses is added is not to help nute uptake, but to feed bacteria and fungi, THEY help the nutrient system in a number of ways. The plant may take some of the sugars, but it's not in a readily available form when you add it to the soil/res.

the reason your plant rotted is because you overfed the breakdown bactr, and created an environment for other species that ate your plant. Or, the syrup you created caused an anaerobic environment in the soil, killing the plant and the microherd.

It's funny cause I made a thread asking if it would be ok to water with sugar and they all said it was fine to do...honestly I don't know what the fuck I was thinking. I just thought it would taste better.

mjmama25

mjmama25

NorCal Bladie

• Registered Upgraded
  • 13,714 posts

It's funny cause I made a thread asking if it would be ok to water with sugar and they all said it was fine to do...honestly I don't know what the fuck I was thinking. I just thought it would taste better.

I tried that as a kid with house plants after reading a book about a kid who grew a giant pumpkin by feeding it sugar water. I killed a lot of house plants and my mom was pissed!

mjmama25

mjmama25

NorCal Bladie

• Registered Upgraded
  • 13,714 posts
Granted, I just dumped a handful of sugar in each plant and then watered which was probably even worse, lol.

CL4P-TP

CL4P-TP

Interplanetary Ninja Assassin

• Bronze Member
  • 7,761 posts

GrapeStreet

GrapeStreet

Be Good, Burn Well

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,221 posts
Ouch.

All things in moderation. It won't kill your plants to add some molasses or even beat sugar, in small amounts. But it's still best to flush the plant with pure water before the harvest, so that the swolen cells have the cleanest water in them, and aren't being soured by salts and sugars.

Non-sugar based extracts, added on harvest day, a few hours beforehand, would probably give some sense of the smell, probably not the taste when smoked. It's strange how most things, even if they smell good, smoke horribly.

I'm down for flavors man, I'm workin on a limonine extract to try out with some bubble hash, but, so far, nothing I've tried has smoked well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users