Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. Heres a quick question for you PSam ---

I pulled a bonehead move last night - crappy day topped off by my computer blue sreening on me - decided I needed a drink - put some ice in my glass and grabbed the bottle of Dewars from the cabinet and started pouring - took several seconds before I realized - I was pouring everclear in my glass instead of scotch! DOH!  The first clue was that it was pouring really fast for tipping the bottle up straight for those plastic inserts.  Before I caught it, I had poured ~ 3-4 oz over the ice --- I quickly poured off the EC into a jar.  This all happened while I was stone sober, although somewhat frenzied/panicked/bummed about the blue screen of death!  Needless to say, I had 4 healthy scotches last night.

Anything to worry about getting some waster in my EC?  I figure worst case, use it for 2nd wash material.
    It kinda brings up a question that I thought about asking earlier - any sense to reducing a batch and then diluting it back with water to help cut the 190 burn?  I've gotten some negative comments about the burn.

Can't be brilliant all the time - its crap like that that keeps me humble....

It's okay. I tend to get a little long winded.  :confused_2: 

We all do those things from time to time. Don't worry about it too much. Of course, that volume of alcohol is going to deice that ice even if you recover quickly but as long as the Everclear didn't sit in there for long you should be okay. I would mix it with fresh EC and there should be no appreciable difference. The larger the amount you mix it with the better. 

Unfortunately, the burn is part of it if you want sublingual. Don't mix it with water in the bottle. Only in a shot glass or some other beverage if that's what it takes. Sublingual is not the only method of dosing. I don't do sublingual of GD, no sir. I'm a wuss and value my speaking ability.  :) 

4. #664 OneE, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
  5. Yeah, I pay a bit more to my grower, but I know exactly what it is and the quality --- I'm usually helping him with the trimming.
    At 100/# I would expect that it had already been kief'd out - especially with only an expected 10% bho yield - thats pretty much of a 'dump it' price.  But at 3.50/g for the kief, even if its not all that good, its still appealing even if you have to use twice as much.

6. Anyone have any tips on a quick drying process for fresh buds?  I'm sure there is some tips on here somewhere but sometimes it's easier just to ask.  I bought a half ounce last week, ground it up and left it in a ceramic pie dish (that is what I use when decarbing rather than using a metal pan) with a paper towl over the top of the dish.  It's been sitting for about a week so far but I want to make sure it's totally dry before starting this batch.  Maybe set it in the oven on the lowest temp with the door cracked? (that's what I do when I make beef jerky in case anyone is interested in that recipe)

Were they just harvested? Unless they are, a week of air drying should do the trick but you'll still need to decarb which will finish the job nicely. If it burns it should be dry enough for decarbing.  :) 

8. Awesome, thanks Sam!  I'm doing two batches.  7g of OG Kush and 7g of Pre-98 Bubba Kush.  Was considering combining them into 1 but thought it would be nice to see if there are subtle differences between the two.  I'll be reducing both batches down to 1 bottle. (30ml-ish)  I like to keep my doses under 1ml. 

Everytime I get ready to make a batch I get real excited, like Christmas is coming.  I enjoy the process start to finish.  Makes me feel like like a chemist or something.

9. Sam,

Been following this thread and your older one for sometime and I just wanted to share something that has worked very well for me (forgive me if this has been discussed/mentioned/tried already.  I didn't admittedly read EVERY page.)

The best filtration method I have found and have used is a French press used for coffee with the body/body made of glass.  There of course is a built in metal screen filter that is very efficient.  The beauty is that you can literally squeeze down the plunger as hard as you want and it gets every last drop out of the MJ or as much as I have been able to do using garlic press, etc. and without any mess potential extra tools needed.  T

The nice part is that after your first run you can just leave the material under the filter screen and add fresh alcohol right to that and stick it back in the freezer.   No mess, no waste and the metal mesh screen filter covers up through the sides and works fantastic. 

You simply pour in ground up buds/alcohol mix and plunger it down just like making coffee.  I should also add that my press is one designed for a single serving and is smaller, perfect for these smaller batches. 

Anyways, cheers for keeping this going.  The recipe works great!  [​IMG]

Thanks, kian, any good ways to help in the processing is always welcome. I have used a french press and it does work well but better for smaller amounts. It's just the pulp that needs to be strained since the rest will be run through a paper filter and it does that very well. 

I'm glad you're having success with the guide. That always makes me feel good when I hear that. 

Thanks for joining our conversation. [​IMG] 

11. #672 BowingOut, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Hi, Sam.  I found Dragon Lite to be an excellent tutorial thread with the essential GD foundation well made in the first page.  I will be following your instructions to the letter wherever possible.

Many thanks! 

Ok, back to post 2000 (+/-) of your original GD/gd thread.

12. #673 Tea_H_Sea, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2015
    Hi Sam,

I was wondering, how long does it take to naturally decarb bud (already ground up) if left in a dark closet?  should I leave it in a jar with lid on or off? 

I usually grind up a pretty good amount of buds and use it in my vaporizer.  after a few weeks if I haven't vaped it all I dump it in a jar to be used later for tincture. (same with my already vaped bud but that is in a different jar)  Just wondering how long the un-vaped bud would take to naturally decarb.

I assume decarb time is the same with kief? (had some in a jar in my closet for a few months)

I've used ground material without decarbing after 6-8 months if it's been left open. I just tested a bud that had been in a sealed jar with controlled humidity for a year and it had only increased decarb by about 15% which was only 3 or 4 points. I'd let it go to about 8 months for ground buds, six or seven if it was warm. Put a mesh screen over the top of your jar and let it sit like that. It will let the material breathe and release that carboxyl group and keep the dirt, bugs, etc., out of it. Stir it every couple of months.

The same is so for the kief, especially if it was gathered from grinding buds but if it was dry ice kief it would get partially decarbed from it. 

It would be nice if the time it takes to naturally decarb wasn't so long but it's worth it if you have the patience. The profile of the benefits increase noticeably. I hope this helps. [​IMG] 

14. Thanks Sam! I will definitely be trying this out. 

15. A quick question for you: do you think using dry ice mixed into the ground up bud in the freezer would increase yields? My thought is that, if the cold temps are helping the trichomes fall off, then VERY cold temps should accelerate and/or improve on this method.

16. Yes, you can do that. That is how dry ice hash is made but without the freezer. Just add the dry ice to something like a coffee can or martini shaker and shake it. You could do the same thing for your freezing instead of the freezer. It would be ready much quicker than 24 hours. The dry ice alone is about -200 and a freezer seldom gets below 4F. I doubt that it would increase your yield, though, since the alcohol will still get to all the surface areas. It couldn't hurt though. 

Thanks for that question, flippy01. You've given me another point to research and test. Using the dry ice for the freezing in place of a freezer could be advantageous to some people, not to mention that it partially decarbs the material at the same time. [​IMG] 

17. Does this work at all without decarbing? I did a single QWET run and was thinking about doing this instead of a second run, however I didn't decarb my bud first.

18. How old / dry were the herbs?

Sativa or indica?

Not sure if you would yield much usable tincture from used material.

19. #680 SoulessStoner, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
    Only a month or two old

Indica-Northern Lights to be specific

I've done second runs with this same bud on a different occasion and pulled a half gram, so there's value in this bud.