Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. Jojo - didn't quote the whole message, but question about this part ---

If things don't go awry, about a half ounce is lost in the straining and filtering process and about 2 ounces total to absorption by an ounce of trim or shake, less for bud and it should be fairly proportionate along the scale

Only losing 2oz to an OZ of trim? Damn - I'll definitely have to do better!  I'll chalk this one up to first run blues.

2. Yeah - just googling potato ricer - looks like Target, Bed/bath/beyond, Ace hardware.....

10-20 bucks --- I thought they'd be more like 30-45.

3. #563 STIGGY, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
    If you have an Ebay account check out item  Thats the same kind I bought on ebay too
    works very good cast iron and very strong 
    item num, / 381124955947

4. I'm liking the ones with the assorted/removable grates --- I'm leaning towards getting some 250 or 300 mesh screen to use as a filter in the mason lid, and that would work well in the ricer too.  Thinking it would work with mashing cherries too - I get some pretty monstrous crops of cherries and have found that they don't freeze well - pit em, rice em and then freeze since they get mushy anyways - I think its the pits that change the flavor when they are frozen - finally realize I could run them thru a juicer AFTER   I gave most away and froze the rest last year.  But, I digress..... Go SEAHAWKS!  My plan is to make kickass batch of GD for the superbowl!

5. The potato ricer will help a lot with that, you be surprised how much is left in there. Your returns will improve, my first issues with losses were from spills and dribbles. After a little practice it becomes second nature.

:smoke:

6. Ok - so a couple of more questions....

--- What is the maximum herb loading recommended per fl oz of EC?  I'm realizing that the EC is the biggest cost for me for this since my herb is basically free.  I don't mind losing a 1/4 of weed - but I hate wasting $10 of EC!  If it turns out to be too potent (by whomevers definition) you would just not reduce that much or add EC back in if needed.  Getting a ricer ($10 at Ace) and thought it would be easy to squeeze the first wash out well before the soak and second wash, as long as material stayed somewhat saturated it should be good -right?  Thinking thru the math --- it takes 1 can of butane/ OZ of herb vs a fifth of EC/ OZ of herb - $3 vs $30 so the numbers don't look all that good long term, but the lack of vacuum pumps/chambers and no need for 72 hour purges makes up for that.

--- When filtering the extraction - is it best to do it when its frozen? or should it be at room temp?  I know you can filter out the waxes when it is frozen, which is what you'd want to do if it was going to be smoked - but is there any reason to remove the waxes if it is going to be ingested?

Thanks for the answers guys - haven't been so fired up since started to make BHO!  And this is something I will actually use and enjoy myself - the BHO was a little too hard core for me - I'm happy with flowers but am developing a fondness for edibles.

7. OneE, you're going to have a hard time overloading the Everclear. There are multiple write-ups in the other Tincture thread where people use the same EC for multiple runs of fresh herb. And then there was Sam's Super Saturation Project, not sure an answer was ever arrived at. Pure ethanol will hold a lot of cannabinoids.
    And I'm with you on the BHO, especially canned butane, too many impurities. Everclear is food grade right out of the bottle.

You can winterize if you want a cleaner Dragon, but it's not necessary and you may be removing some beneficial components.

Once you get a good Dragon you won't look back!

8. #568 OneE, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
    I haven't looked too much over at the other thread --- 300+ pages is pretty daunting, but I know there is some good info over there.  I was wondering about multiple runs with the same EC --- I take it it can be done - thats good to know.  Since my first run was kinda a dud and I haven't reduced it yet, I think I'll just save it and plan on running it again once I get things figured out --- time for a 'second chance bottle' I guess.  Like I said, I've got lots of material at no cost, so my goal is to turn it into something that people would want.

Just got me a ricer (not overly impressed but only $12) and a oven thermometer --- I'm on my way!  Gonna have to think about getting some larger mason jars.  Also gonna look around for buchner funnel to make filtering less painful.  

This is gonna be fun!  Lots of quality testing to come.

I'll have to dedicate some time to reading the other thread.

On a side note... while down at Ace I saw that they have these cute little silicone cups for poaching eggs in  that float in water - probably ~1.5- 2 floz - $9 for two  --- I was thinking that they would work nicely to evap all the EC out if I felt like turning my dud batch into an oil or RSO.  Silicone is nice for the gooey stuff.

9. Jojo - i was spending some time on the other thread and noticed that PSam had gone back and edited alot of the early posts on 1/16 removing alot of content.  Finding it hard to find useful info except where people had quoted the deleted content.  Any idea whats up?
    Got about 15 pages into it before I got bored and frustrated with it.

And for good laughs....  I ran across this today....
    http://organicalcohol.com/store/index.php/tincture-press
    I'll stick with the $12 ricer!

10. I know Sam has been going back and editing some details, clarifying where he can, etc. I'm not aware of any actual deletions.
    There is a LOT of information in the main thread, but also a fair amount of chatter. It goes pretty quick.

Those tincture presses can get quite costly, that one in particular doesn't look worth the money. Simple C clamp with a piston attached to the screw. That looks to be less than $10 worth of parts. It won't even stand up on its own.

11. After further review it seems the original posts were pulled down for some editing, they will be put back up when Sam gets back.

12. Good to know.  I know it wouldn't be easy to do, but what are the odds of having cliffnotes version of the thread created with all the "gems" of insight highlighted in a ..... never mind - I just realized I'm being one of those lazy thread guys......

On another note... I'm getting on with my second batch and I've got another question....

I upped the herb to 12g starting on this one - only reason because I have alot to spare at the moment and I figured that there should still be enough EC in the split wash to work - although I was worried when I poured the EC in at first -- didn't look like it was gonna soak all the material, but after a few shakes, all was good.  

Why isn't the EC split 2/3 for the first wash and 1/3 for the second?  I'm thinking that that would maximize the amount of herb that could be run in a batch with the given amount of EC since the first wash needs to soak the material to start with.  I'm guessing that the theory is that PSam wanted to be able to guesstimate the theoretical concentration of the final solution from the start, but if you're not really worried about that, why not maximize the concentration from the start and plan on minimal final reduction or even dilution at the end if it turns out to be too strong?  I'm just thinking that that would maximize the utilization of the EC.

I'm gonna pay attention tomorrow when I do the 2nd wash to see how much EC it really takes to resaturate the material to formulate an asymmetric wash if it seems reasonable.  Granted all my measuring cups are marked in EVEN fl oz increments - so it was easy to pour 2 jars filled with 4 ozs each and toss them in the freezer - I'm using a little bit more EC than the writeup, so I don't feel bad about throwing a bit more weight in to begin with.  Being that the EC bottles are 25oz, its nice to split the batch size to 8 oz of EC so that you can get 3 runs out of a bottle - but I'd like to maximize the amount of herb I can use per bottle of EC.  I could back calculate the theoretical strength after all is said and done and compensate by only doing a 1/3 reduction or maybe none at all (damn - that would suck - I love heating up EC!)  I'm thinking I could get up to 18-21g in an 8 oz run if I could get it to 6 oz in the first wash and 2 oz in the second giving a healthy  2.2-2.6g/oz final concentration without any reduction.

Sorry if this was covered in the other thread.... And I by no means mean to criticize PSams original work or write up ... Its just the cheapskate in me thinking that I could get more return per bottle of EC and skip the step of having to reduce it.

Took a dropper from the first wash of run2 - definitely feeling it! :smoking:    The oven thermometer was a good call :hello: Now my goal is to get the batch size so that the ricer will actually be useful and effective!

13. OneE,
    Bang for the buck is a common topic in the tincture thread, and you are on the right track. I seldom measure my EC, I pour just enough to cover. I'm not worried about the numbers so to speak, I'm just looking for consistency.
    As long as your herb is thoroughly saturated enough that some accumulates on top you have enough in my judgement.
    Once you get the basic process down a little experimentation can be fun.

14. #574 OneE, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
    Yeah - only half way thru run 2 and I'm already thinking that the possibilities are endless right now with re-runs and multi strain/decarb variables.  I will definitely plan on spending some quality time going thru the other thread to see what is there --- I just don't want to be bogged down by additives and transfers at the moment, but I guess I'll have to put up with it.

I've been pm'ing with another member that decarbs his bho - he splits it into 1/3s and does a lite, med and heavy decarb and combines them --- says that it gives a nice broad spectrum of effects - guess that would be the same as combining batches --- pretty cool!  

I was planning on trying to be methodical and take notes along the way, but after two runs, I see it already going to hell.  I think run3 I'm gonna go for a heavier decarb (maybe 250 for 25mins) at higher concentration just to get a killer batch.  I know its going to be difficult to determine whether any increased effects are from the increased concentration or from a higher level of activation - but oh well, practicality always trumps methodical methods in the end.  I foresee runs 1&2 being combined and rerun, probably with run 3 depending how it turns out --- there goes the best laid plans!  I want to get it to the piont where one dropper is a really nice dose.

Things just got incredibly easy (and safe) by not having to do a reduction step -- I'm really digging this.  Not to mention the the yields just double!

One more question (probably answer or discussed on the other thread) --- when re-running an batch of GD, is there any wisdom or reason for using it in the first wash? second wash? or just use it for both since it really doesn't matter in the end?  

15. This app is messed up, it has stopped working so many times while I'm trying to use it, what up, I try later to share

16. #576 sickmanfraud, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
    I have some questions that I would usually ask at the other thread since this thread is supposed to be for people who want to know the steps of making GD but are not able / interested in the main tincture thread.

Until last month I was making my tincture with a ratio of 3 grams per ounce of Everclear.

Sam advised to reduce to a point where a smaller dose would be adequate.

This past month I reduced to a point where I had strength of 4- 4.5 grams per ounce. Also finally did a solvent transfer to coconut oil.

However, the math became challenging in making sure I don't exceed the amount I am supposed to have. I am in a place that has medical cannabis, but it is quite restricted here and there are rumors that they will reduce folks who have more than 60 grams per month to 60 grams.

Right now I am allocated 60 grams (raised over a 2 year period from the 20 gram starting point) per month or 2 grams per day.

At 4 grams per ounce 15 ml is a day's allocation. If I were to go to a reduction ratio of 6 grams per ounce making 10 ml the days dose would there by any possible downside??

Also, I would like to know if there's a difference tolerance wise to switch between coconut oil and ethanol or just make the GD and transfer it all to coconut oil?

How long is the shelf life of unrefrigerated coconut oil GD?

BTW since I followed Sam's GD recipe and started using GD I have been able to reduce my narcotics from 80 mg of oxycodone per day to 30 mg per day. Hoping to be totally off narcotics after I get my hip replacements revised.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

17. I asked several questions yesterday and have not gotten an answer.

If you feel confident in answering, please do so, if not, how about allowing Sam to help me???

18. #578 STIGGY, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
    SMF

There are no downsides to making it 6g/oz. It will just take less. If you were to double that to maybe 12g/oz there might be some bioavailability issues which the transfer to coconut oil would remedy, so there are no problems.

I like to use a mix of the coconut oil and GD for the different properties and to keep each fresher to my body so that I don't build up a tolerance too fast to one or the other. Plus, the GD takes effect quicker than the oil.

The infused coconut oil will have a shelf life of a minimum of 3 months but should be longer as long as it's not exposed to a lot of humidity or contained plant matter or water. I can't say personally that it lasts longer than that since mine never lasts that long. However, I recommend keeping all filled capsules in the freezer and just keep enough of the bulk on the shelf for your short-term needs, thawing a week's worth at a time or something like that if you'd like but it's not necessary. 

19. Thanks for the help

20. No problem
    I was able to obtain this right from the source
    Peace Brother
    Stiggy