Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. #361 Tea_H_Sea, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014

I have the same question, is it necessary to filter out the keif?  I just did a 1oz batch using 1g of keif and I plan on storing it with my other tinctures in the closet at room temperature.  Most of the keif stayed at the bottom of the jar when I poured it into my tincture bottle. 

It's really up to you. Like you noticed, the kief pretty much settles and compacts on the bottom which allows you to just pour off the GD. You may have a little sediment and if you don't mind that, don't filter. If you did want to filter it you would need to use a very small filter in something like a small kitchen strainer or else half of that ounce will be absorbed. You should also wet the filter first with clean alcohol so that there's no excess absorption. The only disadvantage to leaving in the kief is that the alcohol will continue to draw out whatever chlorophyll there might be left in your kief. Hated had a good approach with drawing the GD out with a dropper. You can do as good a job that way but no filter and no strain.  :) 

3. #363 STIGGY, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
    wrong thread

4. Finished a 1oz batch of tincture made from 1g of keif.  It was a little weak for me so I decided to reduce the volume by 50%.  I tried an experiment to see how long it would take if I left it in the tincture bottle in front of a fan.  Takes about 6 hours.  I guess this could be an easy alternative to the double boiler method.  I may test this method again using a mason jar next time to see if it's quicker. 

5. Still haven't found a local liquor store with any 190+, still going to get the other items needed.

I noticed there's a few different options for filtering, I have bubble bags would that work ?

6. So you can use this recipe with 151 everclear? That's the highest proof available here. And would people who are more experienced at making GD say that this recipe is better than master wu's GD recipe, because that's the one I've been using.

That's why I usually recommend 1-3g per oz since kief/hash can vary widely and of course tolerance has to be taken into consideration, too. Natual evaporation works well, especially with that small amount. The wider the mouth of the bottle, jar or dish, the quicker it will evaporate. Those using 151 should not let it get past 50% or it will start to separate.  :) 

It sounds like you're in one of those places where it's illegal. That sucks. Sometimes you can get it shipped. As far as shipping, I would think a bubble bag would work well for both the strain and filter maybe. If it has a 25 micron final screen, that should be fine enough. If your solution still looks a little cloudy, just run it through a paper coffee filter.  :)

Even though I recommend using kief/hash for a 151 tincture for the best potency, you can also get a pretty good one using full plant material instead. That guide would be similar to the main guide but you are limited in the amount of reduction and concentration you can get. Evaporation of the alcohol in the full guide is the mechanism by which your potency is controlled. If you reduce it more than about half, it will quickly separate into a cannabis oil layer and a larger layer of water and sugars from the lower proof solvent. Because of that reason, some alterations should be made. Instead of a volume of alcohol in the same ratio as the 190 guide, you would use just enough 151 in each run to cover it by a half inch, no more. Follow the rest of the guide except for that and the amount of reduction of the total solution that you can do, no more than 50%.

I've never used Master Wu's method. Maybe others here can compare for you. There is no heat involved here except for the decarb and the reduction which can also be done by natural evaporation. The freezer increases the the ability of the alcohol to strip the trichomes of their oils better than heat without the the nasty taste.  :) 

10. Thanks Sam, I'm gonna make a test batch with lower quality herb so I can get the hang of it and I'll post a pic of the results when I'm done. I'm home brewing cannabeer, so that would be great if this method improves the taste because I've been worried about the tincture causing the beer to taste bad. So for the second run, do I use the same herb that I used for the first one? And the only thing I need to do differently from the guide is make sure the alcohol is 1/2 inch above the herb?

Yeah, that's about right. You see, normally you'd cover the material quite a bit to be sure that it got flushed then you'd evaporate it off but you can't reduce it nearly as much so you use less alcohol to increase your potency instead. The taste should be pretty neutral as long as it's not 151 rum but it won't taste anything like Wu's. This way you'll reduce less but get as good a product. 

Yes, the second run is exactly the same. You don't have to squeeze out the material as much after the first run and can leave it moist while it sits for the next 24 hours. The second run with fresh alcohol basically flushes out what was left behind from the first one as well as strips any trichomes left whole after the first one. After the second run is finished, then you do the press of the material. After that, filter it and let it sit open until about a quarter of it is gone, then cap it.  :) 

12. Sounds good, this doesn't sound too hard. One more question I forgot to add in my last post is that I noticed that you said in the decarbing section that if the herb is older, you don't need to decarb. The herb I'll be using is from a harvest last year and it has been stored in mason jars with humidipaks. But when I break it up, it's still sticky and it still feels like it has some moisture like fresher pot would have. So do you think I still shouldn't decarb or should I do it?

Take it out and place it in a plate and let it sit open for a day and overnight to get any residual moisture out of it. After that, try breaking it up in your fingers. it should crumble easily yet still be sticky. Good pot buds should remain sticky for years if kept in good conditions but should continue to naturally decarb. Use your judgement after it has air dried, but I wouldn't. I've had buds that I knew had been left out and mistreated, tossed around and just kept in a garbage bag in the garage for a year and they were still sticky when I got it but didn't decarb a single bit of it and it made some of the best GD I've had yet. I often will judge my decarb on how green the material is and the shade, in particular, of green. I'm able to judge, in my own mind at least, how old the harvest is by observing how much of the natural color of the cannabis is starting to come through like the reds, golds, purples and such. You'll get a feel for it once you've done this as much as I have. I actually prefer the previous harvest because those buds have had a chance to really develop their flavors and that comes to the front in the GD instead of chlorophyll and if you don't have to decarb you'll retain all the terpenes and cannabinoids.  :) 

14. Alright sounds good I'll go leave some out. Thanks again Sam!

15. I know keif varys and all but how much did you drink ? just as a reference point for when I try mine

If he doesn't post before you try it, try 12 drops, either under your tongue or in a drink. That's as good a place to start as any.  :mellow: 

17. Thanks again ! Im heading to Mohegan sun for the weekend so hopefully I can find some 190 while im out of state, are there any books or anything about tincures you'd recommend ? Im not exactly sure what info im seeking, I guess just general info ive notice you mention quite a few things didnt know were possible. Infusing tincures with other things seems interesting.

Take a look at my main thread. It's as long as a book but there's a link to the Index/Table of Contents in the first post to help you find the various guides. I'll have a free book available in about a year but for now I think I have the most comprehensive source available on the web or in print about the diversity of Green Dragon. I seriously doubt that anyone has studied it with such depth as I have. Not to toot my own horn, of course. Here's the link: http://forum.grasscity.com/incredible-edible-herb/1102315-another-tincture-thread-try-youll-like.html   :)  

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ill be sure to check it out, considering I know very little im sure it could be a full time job asnswering my questions.

just tryed 12 drops call me what you want but under the tongue burns like a mofo.

if this gets me were I want then I have a shit load left im still having a hard time grasping this, I would think I was just making one kick ass dose.

• Like Like x 1
    That's the beauty of it. 

I'm a wimp, too, and won't normally take it sublingually. I either put it in a drink or a put it in a shot glass of water and swish it around in my mouth for a few minutes. . :)