Lets Build a Bubble Bucket *Step by Step*

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Rumpleforeskin, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Hey Rump,

When you are taking your rooted cuttings and placing them in the 6" net pot, do you still lay the long roots in a circular formation?

I ask because the strains that I've grown seem to get choked out, or it appears that way when I'm trying to salvage the net cup after harvest.

2. Is your question regarding the ability to recycle your basket?

3. No, I was just wondering if you still lay your very long roots in a circular formation into the net pot?  Like potted plants, root circling is generally considered bad for plants as they smother themselves in the root zone. I've seen your huge, healthy root masses, and was wondering if your technique of root circling has changed over the years, or if it's still the same.

4. To be honest, I never gave it any thought. A lot of it depends on how long the roots are when I am placing them into the basket. If they are long, I do in fact spin the stem to cause it to wind into the basket. I think it only keeps this form for a day or two, the roots expand out of the basket from all directions. The baskets are small and only hold a fraction of the roots.

I am not defending my methods, but I have not seen any difference from the ones I spin and the ones that are just covered.

5. Thanks, Rumple.

That addresses my concern perfectly. And I certainly wasn't trying to point out any possible flaw in your grow style. Obviously your whole process is tight (and of course I'm a fan)  It's only that  I'm  about a week away
    from planting my  WW  in a net cup and wanted to make sure everything starts off well.

And since you mentioned it,  Are you able to reuse your net cups or do the roots bust them open? 

6. #5706 Rumpleforeskin, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
    Great question. Back when it was hard to find grow supplies, I used to try and use them again. Now with amazon and a grow-store on every corner, I just toss the basket and root ball in the fireplace.

I just finished trying a new strain (Blue Haugs Breath)(spelling?). I have to give it a negative review. It did smell real nice (not like a pig at all), but it is just a mediocre strain that had nothing real special about it at all. Not a bad smoke or high, just not a great one.

We are back doing the white widow in Golden Grows Grow system they want me to try out. I did a review on the clone machine, but never had a chance to do a real good one on the whole system. Seems to be working real nice.

Day 24 of flowering:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Holy cow, that beast is sitting in a 3.75" net cup LOL!  That is incredible.  It will be interesting to see if any algae forms inside the golden grow container. I imagine your canopy is so dense that it will block out most of the light.

8. So i just finished building one of your buckets, this is my very first foray into hydroponics and this may be a dumb question but do you run the air pump 24/7?

9. Yes, never turn it off.

10. Hey rump and everyone else. I have one of these systems going, was germinating a seed i bought online but for some reason it never done anything, when i bought this seed i was sent a few free ones, only down side is that they were auto's and i didn't wanna waste em so thought why not use em for my first plant in this system. I am now one month into veg and it should be goin into flowering any day now. One dumb thing i done was add nutes for it as if it were a regular seed and it started showing signs of nute burn, so i diluted the nute water by 50 percent, still shows signs of nute burn so i took all tge water out and just added plain distilled water which was ph balanced. I added the sog a lil late but i think it will work good still. Im goin to attach a few pictures and ild apreciate any feedback about it. Thanks everyone

Attached Files:

11. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1432692747.207670.jpg can I use silicon around the pvc? I have small leaks.

12. #5712 Rumpleforeskin, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015

You are not the first person to get some small leaks around the fittings. Sealer won't work well to fix them. What seems to work is to get sand paper and open up the hole. Sand the inside and out side surface as well. Having the male fitting fit tight to the bucket will cause leaks.

To be honest, now days the cost and availability of bulkhead fittings have changed a lot. They seem to out last my original design and are very robust.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/bulkhead-fitting-t-t-1-2in

13. Hey rump, when u get a chance could you take a look at my last post on the page before this one? Thanks man

14. issiackemp, I read your post but did not have much to add to it. I am not real good troubleshooting nute-burn or any other related issues. Have never grown an auto. Was waiting for another reader to comment to be honest.

I will always answer if I think I can add something. Seems like it will grow out of the burn and perhaps grow into some good smoke.

15. I wish I would have read this sooner. I put some on the outside. Will it effect the plant if I put it in the inside as well?

16. It won't hurt anything, its just not a good fix for the leak.

17. Hey Rump, is this a different room or did you stop using the mylar on the walls? If so how does the white shower wall material work out for you?

18. The mylar was hard to maintain. The fiberglass sheet I lined the room with seems to work real nice. I am sure it does not reflect light as well as mylar, but it stands up to sticky bud a lot better.

19. Hey rump is the 1st post the updated version of the bubble bucket? If not can you list the recommended changes if you don't mind

20. Put the fill port in the lid. I like bulkhead fittings better than my O-rings and PVC. Buy some bubble disk air stones and forget the whole PVC stone holder. I like heavy stones I get at the hydro store.