Lets Build a Bubble Bucket *Step by Step*

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Rumpleforeskin, Oct 29, 2006.

1. LEDs don't save money on power. A 400 watt draw from a LED is the same as a 400 watt draw from HID. If you use less watts you will yield less weed. If you want to save max on power then buy your weed from a grower. Don't buy into the sales pitch that LEDs will yield more with less power. If it was true all commercial growers would be switching over to LEDs (none are). A lot of commercial growers are switching to new style lamp, but most are double ended HIDs (ask the hydro shops what commercial growers are now buying). They are buying up all the stock out here in California.

No problem finding a LEDs lamp with a bunch of color charts and specs that make HIDs look outdated. They find light or color statistics  that out do HIDs and tell you that scientists and botanists say that is what plants need to grow. Efficiency can be measured in how much money you are making growing a commercial crop. Commercial growers are looking for cheap cycles, high quality, and heavy yields. I am looking for the same thing.

LEDs have a place in our grow community.  They are an excellent choice for limited height grow operations and grow rooms that adequate cooling ventilation is not possible. Very good bud can be grown with LEDs (done it my self lots of times). But never my first choice.

2. I've got to say I am only through page 12 or so and I noticed this thread was started back in 2007 and thought I wonder when the last post on this was. TO MY SURPRISE and overall delight I saw that Rumple himself posts 7 YEARS later still keeping the vibe alive. I love it! I have a question about the original thread title here 7 years later. What are your thoughts about the Root Spa brand of BB? I have been waffling back and forth about whether or not to buy or build.  But I think I can buy then modify. I just wondered if you have had any experience with these. I am going to do a 6 bucket system as I am very familar with the BB and DWC method of growing MMJ. 

Also do you see a problem with taking the 8 bucket Root Spa System and hooking all of the "multi purpose" tubes together at the bottom to a controller bucket and having just one multi tube, because one tube will show the same level as all of the others correct? Thanks again for all of your YEARS of dedicated service to the novice(trying to become pro) growers out here in cyberland.

Colorado thanks you!

3. Root Spa seems like a basic DWC system. It is like the ones I started out with (Hydro Farm) and has the same weaknesses. If the Hydro Farm was robust, I would have never made this thread.

First thing is the nutrient capacity, in order for this system to work without issue, you should hook it to a reservoir, because the huge net-basket takes up the whole bucket (leaving very little room for solution). Truth is you can grow just fine in a 4" basket. remember you keep your solution around an inch below you basket. Tall deep baskets will set your solution level down a lot.

Ok, you now have them all six buckets hooked in series to a reservoir.. One bucket seems to have a problem and is leaking (or some other problem). How do you isolate?

No air-stone is ok, it just sounds like a scuba diver is in your stealth grow closet (not so stealth).

My original design is very outdated. I did this post back when Amazon only sold books and videos. I would order up some nice bulkhead fittings for anything thing that goes through the bucket wall. The fill port is now in the lid (one less bulkhead fitting needed). You only need one sight level indicator (if any) if you hook in a series. And don't make the air stone holder, just get some nice black cylinder air stones from an online hydro store. The blue Top Fin stone work, but dissolve after one grow cycle. 

Best of luck,
    R.

4. Thanks for the response, I imagined that you probably updated your design and have a better system now. I think I will defintely use the smaller net baskets because I do know that you need to keep the level about an inch below the basket and if the ones that come with it are too deep then that will present  a problem.  I am also going to upgrade the air pump as well to a Active Air Commercial Air Pump 8 outlets 70 lt per minute. I am also under the same guise that more air to the roots equals overall better production(asuming all other factors are in line) I have just moved from Tx to Colorado and can now grow without fear of the law.  I have my degree in Botany and am dedicating my life to the production of this plant and all its beneficial components.  I think I am well equipped with the help of the good people like you here on this forum and my knowledge.  I have done 3 previous DWC/BB grows they were all with the Waterfarm. The only thing that I can see as a difference is the GH Farm Kit #4116(the watering ring that soaks the upper roots from the top of the net basket) I am wondering how essential that part of the equation is in your opininon? 

5. I'm glad you posted this, I planned to build your original design soon after my first grow was done. I vote for an updated step by step on this thread. Lol

To be a great leader you must first be a great follower.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1321101-Help-Newbie-In-Need-Of-Constructive I-Criticism

6. I would just like to say I did this lazy style(no water monitor and an air stone large and heavy enough to not need the inner system. But thank you sir. Thank you.

These are my results

Attached Files:

7. I am totally in on a new system "step by step" build on your current setup! Your tutorials and step by steps are the best in the biz, and i am just wondering what you got keeping your ladies happy and healthy?

8. hello, I actually have a question for you about converting an 8 bucket rootspa setup into a 6 bucket with a resevoir. Is this even an ok idea? If I grew in 3 and used the 4th as a res and I recirculated it with an external pump, would this be a feasible upgrade?

9. I'm not a big fan of a recirculating DWC bucket system. Everyone one I know has flooded the grow rom using this type of system. Three buckets and a reservoir is the most I would go after using DWC. DWC is a great system but the maintenance can be a pain in the ass. More than three plants, I would do ebb and flow trays.

Best of luck, R.

10. Thanks for the reply! I wouldn't even know what size pipes to use to tell the truth.

11. #5672 George W. Kush, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
    Thank you for this post. It's just what I was looking for. Also what do you use to fill the water through your fill hole? Do you just connect a hose or something? Do you also add your nutrients this way or how does this work?

I guess what I'm getting at is could you please walk me through the process of filling water and nutrients, draining, and then refilling water and nutrients?

12. A small pond pump/ utility pump works best for filling, draining, and recirculating your buckets.

13. I'm am a first time grower, was going to try RDWC, but sticking to DWC for now. I've purchased a 32x32x63 tent, with a 600w dim able HPS. Starting with one plant to learn, but want to hook my bucket into a reservoir to help alleviate quick changes in nutrient and PH levels. I have room in the tent for the bucket and an 18 gallon tub. (At least it looks like enough room to me)

Some questions about construction:

Opinions on using the 18 gallon tub for a reservoir? Overkill? Should I just use a second bucket instead? I will be putting an air stone or two in the reservoir, figure it can't hurt.

Do I need a fill on the reservoir? Can I just pop the lid off to refill? What is the tolerance of light with the water when refilling? Same with the sight, is this a must have? I only ask because I'm just trying to reduce chances of problems, as a novice I will surely have my hands full. I'm going to be meticulous about checking this several times a day and with a larger size reservoir I'm less worried about the water level depleting, but maybe that's my ignorance.

Do I simply hook the drains together on the bucket and reservoir, allowing the water to self-level? If I'm understanding this, when adding water/balancing ph you are using the submersible pump to circulate the solution between the reservoir and the bucket. I would put the pump in the reservoir, hook it to the fill on the bucket, and let it circulate for a few minutes, and measure the water. I assume this isn't necessary when adding nutrients, as every 10 days when you add nutrients, it's a complete dump and fill.

Any other design changes from your original post, besides running your airline through the lid, hose clamps on your sights? I've seen buckets where the airline goes into the net pot through the stones. Thoughts?

Thanks for this thread, great info!

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

14. Hey all 1st timer here looking for advice. Right now I have 3 empty Folgers cans "SWC" (I call it the Shallow Water Coulter), 180w UFO (3 I got off craigslist for $100 and only had to replace the toggles :) ) I also got a DIY CO2 kit and a bunch of stuff for climate control.
    My question and obvious observations- The roots are going to outgrow the cans shortly, I'm leaning towards a 5-8 Gal. Tote DWC and possible top feed drip with a pump, or just Dawn airstones. Going to run 4 plants (yes I know I only have 3 now, I can buy a clone =P)
    Also this set up is currently in a very small area, going to be moving soon, walk in closet (maybe set up a tent I have already) strains are -Sugar Black Rose Auto, and 2 my buddy made BlackwaterXBubbleGum.
    So How Big of tote, don't want to go too big but don't want to be adding a ton of nutes/water every day? Just DWC or top fed too? Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks Guys!

Attached Files:

Couple weeks left. coming along nicely.

View attachment 151301

16. Please take some pictures of the harvest.

17. Rump. When i started reading this i knew nothing of hydro, i am now on page 55 whew..... And i feel so much more comfortable now, so much amazing information here. Thanks so much. I am in yhw process of building one and am really eager but i have 2 questions. First off i keep on hearing it's beat to get auto flowering, how do you feel on this? Im not sure if i should go with auto flowering or not. And i keep on hearing with auto's to only use between 1/4 to 1/2 nutes max, how true is this? Also i decided to supplement with co2, what ppm should i keep it at? And thanks a million for the great education i have been given thru this thread. Very much appreciate it

18. Most experienced growers will not pick auto flowering genetics. They tend to suffer from quality and yield problems. They are designed for folks with very limited harvest height restrictions. You will find no real advantages to using this type of strain.

Pick a good stable strain that has been around for a while.

Run your CO2 above 1400 ppm while the lights are on. No need to supplement while the lights are off.