How to Extract Cannabidiol?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Dum Dum Boy, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Is there a relatively easy way? What is the process exactly?

2. I dont wana doubt you badkitty, But all your doing is degrading your bud then making edibles no? theres no CBD inside normal cannabis, how are you expecting to collect that Tiny tiny tiny amount of CBD and make it noticeable in a concentrate?

you really can only use a high cbd strain, just because those cannabanoids exsist and have a burning temp doesnt mean all the flowers magically produce them when you reach the flash point.

maybe im wrong

3. I was gonna say just get ahold of one of those high CBD strains and run it.. BAM! there it is

Tell me that aint 'CBD' enough for ya :smoke:

4. #5 BadKittySmiles, May 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013

Purging the THC and lower flashpoint cannabinoids, just like you would your solvent when making a concentrate, is simply the easiest way to produce a higher CBD content in whatever cannabis the patient has available. Not every patients around the country is even living in a medical state, and many of those that do live in medical states still do not always have easy access to lab tested cannabis or reliable strains. Virtually all strains available contain some amount of CBD (there are over 60 'known' cannabioids in cannabis, after all, and when taking all of them into consideration CBD is actually considered one of the more dominant), some strains and plant just produce more than others. If you have access to CBD heavy genetics, I'm sure the OP agrees those would certainly be the obvious first choice. :p Most folks who are familiar with my work know very well that I'm very wary against unnecessary degradation of cannabinoids, which is why when asked for my input, I don't normally suggest fractional or simple distillation for merely the act of capturing all oils as a whole, which would eliminate the purpose of using such a method, but rather, only when affordable and simple isolation in the home is crucial to a patient's success.
    As mentioned in the tutorials you're not going to wind up with a utterly 'pure' extract this way, but a patient has MUCH greater control over the ratio of cannabinoids they are consuming, which for obvious reasons, can have a dramatically positive effect on their outcome. This goes for even CBD heavy strains, if the patients still wishes to purge some, of whatever THC content exists in the plant matter.

The THC (and other lower flashpoint cannabinoid) heavy extract can be discarded, provided to other patients, or used in other forms of medicine if the patients has multiple needs.

Simple as that! It's not actually an uncommon technique and is fairly common knowledge among the experienced medical community. :)

This particular tutorial covers yet another topic I meant to go over during my presentation with Rick Simpson, during the main day of the Cannabis World Summit, but I simply didn't have the time! Fortunately, they've promised that they'll keep a page open at the Summit that I can continue to update for the viewers for the more important content available online, while they gear up for my DVD promo, and recapping this particular tut. is the first on my list of 'things to do' where a few decent vape companies have offered to contribute their models to the original isolation series. :yay:

5. Decarb basically lol

6. Decarboxylation, is the process of removing the carboxyl group in the form of carbon dioxide and water vapor, producing an activated cannabinoid. In layman's terms, this just turns THCA, into THC, CBDA, into CBD, CBNA in the CBN, and so on, through the evaporation of the carboxylic acid the cannabinoid once contained. It doesn't however isolate, nor remove any cannabinoids from the plant matter. :)

It doesn't actually have anything at all to do with the isolation of cannabinoids, although decarboxylation does occur as a precursor to all cannabinoid vaporization, which is the point when (as the OP requested) you're attempting to isolate CBD, rather than CBDA. :)

The different flashpoints and boiling points of cannabinoids are responsible for the different effects people get from vaping at higher and lower temperatures; that it manipulates the experience provided via the controlled release of individual cannabinoids, is why there even is an option to vape at varying temps, rather than at just the highest temp to surpass the last cannabinoids just below the point of combustion.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion! If you're curious how any of it works and can't be bothered waiting for a reply (I'm not always around very often these days), there's always google which has all the same info, and you can also have a read around the edible and concentrate sections.... there's TONS to read and know! :smoke:

7. yes thats exactly what you are doing , "Trying" to isolate cbd, And failing misserably

let the extract artists handle the science cause you need to go back to chemistry 101

and stop giving people "chlorophyl" and calling it medicine

THERES TONS TO read and know. But if you are stupid, what you read wont help you.

8. Isolation of cannabinoids has proven to not be effective. Look at drugs like Marinol, they fail miserably because they try and isolate a single cannabinoid rather than using the 60+ thats present in the natural herb. They are all there for a reason, they work together! Stop trying to isolate these things and just get yourself a strain that has what you want.

And I was saying decarb becuase decarbing does generally make your oil a little more body-high like CBD. Reclaim has that kind of effect.

9. #11 BadKittySmiles, May 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013

Marinol is not isolated from the cannabis plant, it is entirely synthetic, first off. :) Sativex by the GW Pharma people in the UK is actually a plant extract (in the form of a near 50/50 ratio of THC/CBD) from the cannabis plant, but for the same reasons you mention, while I can at least maintain that yes, it's useful for some patients, I've still always been strongly against this as a substitute for the whole cannabis extract; for the vast majority of patients, the consumption of the full array of phytochemical components, or close to it, is more beneficial.

Secondly, and just as (if not more!) important, I'm a BIG fan of extracting and preserving all the chemical components of the cannabis plant, and tailoring the extract to fulfill the patient's needs as best I can! All my work, and 99.9% of my posts here, are focused on exactly that.

But what was the OP's question? Extracting CBD :)

Re: How to Extract Cannabidiol?

Answering one in every thousand or so posts on an isolated extract when it's asked about on occasion, shouldn't really bear too poorly on me, I wouldn't think! :p

In the home, short of chemically synthesizing it, the best you can do is make a CBD-heavy extract using the best plant matter you have availlable, and again, only if that is your goal.

If that's not your goal, that's OK! It's just not really sensible to judge patients for their needs. Even if it's not something I'm personally interested in medicinally where I already have access to high CBD plants, and I still prefer the array of other phytochemicals present in the plant matter, I'll still help a patient when they need it and I won't question their request, where I'm well educated on their needs and the benefits of CBD for patients who are either sensitive to or timid when it comes to the other components of the plant, whether that apprehension is for personal, or medical reasons. :)

Like I said earlier, you can save the remainder for other purposes, give it to a friend or patient in need, or you can discard it if, for you as a patient, it doesn't suit your needs. :hello:

Not everyone wants or needs to use cannabis in exactly the same way, someone desiring a CBD heavy medicine us certainly not 'wrong' for doing so, it's why the strains are so popular and in high demand, and why dispensaries sell medicine, most of which are based on the exact same fractional distillation methods I've mentioned here which are not at all that wild, or even uncommon (the very same methods are used by many in the fragrance and essential oil industry when isolating or grouping fragrant chemicals/terpenes/terpenoids etc., from hundreds of different plants).

I'm not sure why you (not so much you Jimmy, from our past conversations we seemed to have a decent rapport, but to be honest I don't ever remember giving Cloud any reason to speak to me this way either) have chosen to try and provoke a response from me in such a way, in this thread. So far as I'm aware I've been nothing but decent, and even helpful, to both of you in the past. :(

Is there some sort of underlying background issue that any of you have with me, that you'd like to discuss, that I don't know about?

From this...

To this, is very suspicious...

It just seems like someone trying to give the appearance that they gave the benefit of the doubt by asking a question, only in an attempt to make the follow-up posts they really wanted to make from the beginning, seem more reasonable. I just thought you wanted to know how it worked. :(

From any outsider's perspective, all I've done is courteously answer your questions, and you've become increasingly more hostile without making any attempt to verify any of the information. Have you ever heard of fractional distillation? :)

I'm starting to see that it's pretty obvious the first posts you made weren't actually questions, but rather they were meant to facilitate your arguing now. I'm just curious why. :(

10. #12 Cloud9Oil_T.A/ES, May 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013
    im just trying to show you, you are doing the most useless thing i have ever heard of, with no science to back it up. and then RECOMMENDING
    people waste their perfectly good weed trying to do it. and they all think they will magically get some high CBD medicine from their street bud.

not a soul has argued against your dumb tutorial and i am here to stop the lies you are spreading, much like your dumb ecig tutorial

Please make your points without the disrespectful comments-PF

11. I never meant anything mean towards you man, we're cool in my book :smoke:

I know Marinol is synthetic, but they just synthesized THC and not the other cannabinoids. The natural herb pretty much always works for the patient better than the Marinol.

And what are you doing with the distillation? like what are you extracting? I've always been curious. I know a guy who distills cannabis to use as a natural pesticide for his gardens.

12. No worries, I thought (hoped :eek: ) we were cool! If you look up fractional distillation, it will go into loads more detail than I can give, on how it works, on the differences between simple and fractional distillation (with cannabis it's fractional if you're going for individuals), but simply put it's just a simple extraction based on the boiling points of different chemicals, just like the different aromatic properties of rosemary for instance can be pulled individually if you purge off those that vaporize at lower temperatures, and then capture the chemical just above the point it turns to vapor. Like the different aromatic properties in certain plants when extracting for fragrance purposes, all the cannabinoids in cannabis vaporize at different temperatures, THC for instance vaporizes roughly fifty or so degrees lower and before CBD, which is how it can be purged or captured for another purpose, while leaving behind an increasing ratio of CBD, as it's removed.

Just for a simple diagram, here's one I found in an article on fractional distillation (in this case separating hexane and toluene) and later how FD relates to gas chromatography:

[​IMG]

So place THC and its vapor point in the place of the hexane, and then (setting aside other cannabinoids for a moment just to illustrate the concept) place CBD with its higher vapor point where the toluene is. That's fractional distillation, and depending on how the temps are manipulate you can produce a blend, reducing the unwanted content, or you can produce a more concentrated extract containing primarily the specific cannabinoid you were after. In the tutorial I recommend stopping short of what would be a 'complete' purge of the prior cannabinoids, for the very reason of the low CBD content found in most of the available cannabis on the streets today. It's still important to preserve as much of what you have as possible. :)

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a scientist, but it IS do-able in a kitchen with a good digital vape, and while it's not something I've needed to give advise on too often, there really and definitely are patients with legitimate needs who find such extracts useful, and medicinally beneficial. :)

I can't say it enough, a mostly-CBD extract is certainly not snake-oil! I'm even only recently coming around on more heavily supporting the concept of isolated extracts, myself. I'm just as guilty as the next person when it comes to talking down on Sativex for being 'only' isolated THC/CBD. :eek:

But high CBD alone is actually in surprisingly high demand, even more so than Sativex's blended THC/CBD. Extracts high in CBD are in high demand, just like the high CBD strains, still containing (sometimes in lower quantities) the remainder of the cannabinoids and chemicals as well, are also in high demand... high CBD strains are ideal in some circumstances, but in others, some patients really, honestly, don't want to consume many (or if they could help it, any) of the remainder of the cannabinoids and other phytochemicals in the plant. And other patients just can't find CBD dominant genetics, or grow their own.
    Some cannabinoids and even terpenes can act as triggers for certain people, they can cause discomfort, or they can inhibit the effectiveness of the CBD content for their particular condition (mainly I can only think of a few epilepsy and MS patients who were apprehensive after a few uncomfortable experiences).

For patients who have to either consume the meds they have, or go without, a simple distillation is a little more easily attainable, especially for rural patients without many options. It definitely always seems like everyone is online, and everyone can go to seed banks and everyone has access to dispensaries, we see it every day when we visit these sites, and a lot of people like to show off which is what makes it fun, but we're also in the fortunate minority.
    A lot of patients still get black market only, whether it's home grown or from a ways off, and if they have to cope with what they have and can't tolerate, or they just don't want many other cannabinoids, they don't see it as a waste to discard what they don't want, or to offer their purged content to a friend. :) It's absolutely suffered more degradation than a simple decarb, where you'd pull back from the heat long before vaporization occurs. The question of distillation for a whole or 'complete oil' has come up a few times, and I always dismiss it for the reasons of degradation, with almost the same intensity as Cloud (almost :p ). But what they get is beneficial for them, and what gets discarded from a CBD run is still in a very good form to begin making oil for edibles, and it can still be used for smoking or vaping, similar to normal (well, maybe cleaner than usual :p ) vapor reclaim. It doesn't make an entirely terrible gift... I've given plenty of worse leftovers to thankful patients in need! :)

(Before I forget, it doesn't always occur to me to keep bringing it up where I've mentioned in so many edible/already-vaped/reclaim and similar threads in the past, that vaporization causes a minimum of 10% - 15% degradation damage and loss to the end product. They know this from the regular difference in results produced by gas chromatography versus liquid chromatography when performing potency analysis... GC is very similar to and functions based on fractional distillation, in that it uses heat to produce a vapor, and the rate at which certain elements are produced and the speed at which they enter the final chamber indicate what they are, and the overall contents and ratio of chemicals contained in the sample.

Liquid chromatography on the other hand is solvent based, requires little to no heat, and where vaporization does not occur it can detect not only higher quantities (due to the fact they were not destroyed) of cannabinoids in the same sample, versus one that has undergone GC, but it's performed at such a low temp that it can also detect carboxylic-intact cannabinoids, like THCA, CBNA, CBDA and so on!

So with that in mind it is definitely a good point to bring up here, as well, even if it often doesn't matter to patients who have a stronger or compelling enough need for such an extract. :) )

13. hello my friends.i am student in iran and want to extraction CBD or THC in lab for my thesis,please help me.

14. hello for more information about the cannabinoids and how to extrct them , check
    www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=pts&hl=en&q=inassignee:%22GW+Pharma+Limited%22

and check this one : www.google.com/patents/WO2004026857A3