seedbacks northern journal

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by pineneedle, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Anyone growing their own smoke should read this article and many more found on the net. Kelp Meal Fertilizer. Beneficial microbial activation is a huge part of plant health ( symbiosis )

2. #42 pineneedle, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

3. How large a drum did you mix your tea in? And how much of each ingredient did you use?

fresh ground kelp, guano, bone and blood meal, some ewc molasses

I tried using a 50 gallon drum to mix my tea's last year and ended up only using about 30 gallon's on my large cannabis plants. I'm just not sure exactly how much to use on my plants.

I don't make tea's until flower especially using quality soil with super soil. Simply nothing my plants will need until they start to bloom.

One time I brewed up a 50 gallon tea and let it sit for 4 days after I used half of it thinking I could use the rest but it smelled really bad and was advised not to use it.

Between you and me I used some of it anyway for a trial and it seemed to not have any ill effects. But I wouldn't do it again.

4. I make 5 or 6 - drums every year. heavy on the fresh kelp and light on the rest of the ingredients. Really all you need is the kelp. It has over 60 different elements that are beneficial to plant health and growth. I use more than half on my vegetable garden. The smell you had was probably sulfur, I find as long as you pump air into it there are little or no odors. Sulfur is supposed to be good if you have bud mold or mold on the foliage. I used to make a mixture of eggs, milk and water. Whip it in a blender and let it sit in the sun for a day or two. Then use as a foliar spray. It stinks to high heaven but the plants love it and it keeps the critters and mold down. I have not had to use it in a few years. I used to have terrible problems with rabbits and deer eating my babies.

5. Seven starters gone, I think they were males by the way they were stretching, oh well he picked them out.:eek: I like the shorter branchy, bushy ones. they seem to trend toward female outcomes.;)

6. My tea was wonderful when I used it in 2 days with constant air being pumped in it. Then after I fed my girls. I let the leftovers sit without air for another 4 days. That is when it really started to stink.

I don't think you want to use it at that point. But I did without any ill effects. I think Richard or Mama or someone told me to definitely not use it when It starts to smell like that. By the time I got the answer back I used it. LOL

Oh well live and learn. ;)

7. If you've never heard of using kelp in the garden as an organic fertilizer and soil amender, you're in for a treat. Perhaps you've never heard of kelp; that's okay too - it's just another word for seaweed. Here you're going to learn the benefits of using kelp to grow fruits and vegetables and the advantages kelp provides to the soil long after the gardening season has passed.
    Fertilizers are added to gardens to help provide nutrients essential for the proper growth of plants. Before plants can use these minerals, they must be broken down by microorganisms contained within the soil into simple smaller, inorganic particles. Commercial fertilizers are already in this state where the plants can use them immediately; hence a greener, faster growing plant shortly after application.
    Although plants that receive nutrients from readily available sources (commercial fertilizer) get an immediate boost it's essentially a guise for a healthy plant in that it has been "shocked" with nutrients; some of which cannot be absorbed and in turn, burn the plant while increasing the toxicity of the soil.
    Kelp and other organic nutrient sources release nutrients slowly as they are broken down by soil microorganisms. Kelp alone contains over 70 vitamins and minerals beneficial to plants and you never have to worry about creating a toxic environment for plants or animals. Additionally, plants that receive a slow steady application of nutrients during the growing period are healthier and have an increased tolerance to both pests and disease.
    Once a plant has absorbed all it can from a commercial fertilizer source, the remaining chemicals increase the toxicity of your garden thereby limiting microorganisms to do their job and in many instances, kill healthy microorganisms and bacteria beneficial to garden soil and plant growth.
    Kelp on the other hand is completely natural and keeps on working to condition the soil even after nutrients are absorbed by growing vegetation. Additionally, kelp increases the structure of the soil and its ability to retain moisture. Its benefits go beyond your current, active gardening season; kelp is continually improving the soil for next year's garden as well.
    Kelp meal can be used by sprinkling directly around plants, onto the garden or by adding water to it, straining and using it in a liquid form. The best thing is you don't have to worry about chemicals or the ill-effects of adding too much to your garden.

8. Subbbbbbbbbbbbed :smokin:

9. #51 pineneedle, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  10. Also picked up 16 bags of composted sheep manure, had to do it. They had it on sale 8 bags for 30 bucks. I will mix this into my organic pots, fun times on the back 40 :D

11. Looks good! Lots of variety. Lol

12. Good Morning Seedback,

Looks like your girls are doing great. Lot's of new growth and happiness. ;)

13. awesome sounding strains ..

14. We shall see. . . . the LP and Jamaican are hits and requested. the rest are all new to me.

15. #57 pineneedle, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
    Overcast here this morning, put a lot of the big girls outside on the slab today, sun is suppused to come out this afternoon. Fingers crossed that the baby keeps the porcupine away. Man they love this shit. :)

16. Porky spine? What do ya mean by that?

17. #59 pineneedle, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013

Sorry thats my Nova Scotian commin out. Porcupine, I didnt have a scare crow so I hung one of the kids old dolls in the door to keep the pheasants away. They like to eat the new leaves, the porcupine likes the smell and eats everything. If its not rippers its wildlife.
    [​IMG]

18. Lol. That sucks.

Out some traps out