HPS V Sun,, for Flowering, in Spring

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by expertbomber, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Hey guys just wondering ur oppinions on this, feel free to answer whatever level of growing expertise you find yourself on, I like to hear all answers from everyone, anyone who takes there own time to chip in thats where my lessons at..

Sooo, Its to do with light right, light from the sun v artificial lights,, now I know the sun beats any lights hands down on amount of lumens it puts out unless you have super strong lights,, but what about light from the Sun on a clear sparkling April day compared to a strong Red Spectrum grow light, if you where in flower??

Are plants better under there red spectrum artificial light as apose to a clear bright spring day if you where flowering them? what you guys think??

2. no one? coz my girls are flowering and its as bright as can be outside, but at 44 degrees north, in April I dont know if there lights are better for givng them the red end of that spectrum, or if they still get more good from the sun right now, I worked it out they are recieving 5000k per plant of red spectrum with the lights on so I dont know whats better :confused:

3. IMHO Suns always better. That's just my opinion though.

4. average 600w HPS kicks out 98000 lumens, versus the sun....sun wins hands down, even with the odd cloud, something tells me it's all natural too

5. thanks for ur answers guys I guess the sun is better, I was just wondering about the colours of the light from the Sun in April, whether they be very blue,, its for a flowering plant but I guess on one of them clear sunny days they still be getting more Red out the Sun even if it is April, than what they would get from there lights anyway,, I was just wondering you know if it was summer then its a no brainer they be outside all day long where they belong, but it was the colour spectrum I was wondering about this far north at this time of the year it made me think, thanks for your input, peace.. :smoking:

6. This is cool, this is the same discussion I'm having in another thread (Kamels CFL guide) I also live around the 44th parallel and I have read some Wikipedia stuff about the sun's angle in the spring and fall which would indicate that the light spectrum is similar, more red shifted light, then the summer, more blue shifted. Far more important (IMO) is the photoperiod. Flowering begins with a 12/12 cycle and if you stay with that, I don't think spring time sun is going to screw up flowering at all.

7. I've had clones outside in so calif from early feb that are for the most part done.. trichs are still clear but I'm out of time .. the days are getting to long and the buds have started to open every so slightly.. all very small plants so I may try and cover in the late afternoons to extend my flowering.. photoperiod is whats most affecting my early spring grow.. I've got 4 @16 inch in veg in pots I'm about to flower just with a dark room .. no lights just bring them in @ 5pm.. see how that works..

8. Sun outside is better, sun through a glass in your house is not. Glass has coatings on it to block various spectrums. They put that on them to stop your fabrics from yellowing, to stop UV light, and to reduce IR wavelengths so your house does not heat up so much.

9. thanks for all ur answers,, interesting point about the windows being coating in some sort of protective gear to block certain colours out, I never knew that and alot of the time if my plants are out they are infact behind a window but im sure the light intensity still has to be greater on a clear day,, il check that thread out middleforker, if youre disscusing it over there im sure there be some helpfull information I could take from it