Do You Agree With Background Checks for Gun Purchases?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lilro, Apr 18, 2013.

1. It is very sad when innocent kids lose their lives. Seeing the Sandy Hook parents lobbying for gun control, tearfully telling their stories and pulling on our collective heartstrings every night in the media, I wondered something.

Why don't we see the families of the children blown to pieces by our drone strikes telling us their stories, lobbying Congress for drone control? Why don't we see Iranian parents asking for the sanctions preventing them from receiving medicine and basic medical supplies to be lifted? Why don't we see Iraqis telling us how the civil war we threw them into is destroying what little is left of their country?

• Like Like x 1
  2. no. They might as well add an amendment to ban gun shows because that is what will happen.

3. naw man, i wasn't directing that at anybody...and yeah i agree, adding more laws won't do any good.

4. Why doesn't anyone care about the 500,000 dead Iraqi children and over 1,000,000 dead Iraqis that resulted from the Clinton Administration's sanctions? Sanctions that Madeline Albright on 60 minutes said were "worth it" - as did Bill Richardson in an interview with Amy Goodman on Democracy Now!

Propaganda works.

It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic. - Dresden James

That aside, like its even possible to set such atrocities aside, anyone who claims to care about saving lives via "gun control" but doesn't support ending the "war on drugs" is either ignorant or a fraud. I will never take anyone serious on "gun control" if they still support the war on drugs.

5. I like what my state does. Any one who purchases a gun from a licensed FFL dealer has to get a background check. Private sales do not require one. As far as the whole felony thing, I think that anyone with a non violent felony should still have the right to own a gun, if you have a history of violence or violent felony no gun. Anything father than that Im not cool with. Fuck a registry or any way that they can keep track of where I am and what I have.

6. Why in the world should we have background checks? A criminal with a known record wont go to a legit gun store and get correct registration. The criminal would get a gun from the black market which grows every year since the war on drugs and this would only make it a even more profitable business. Why make it harder for a law abiding citizen to get a gun when it takes little to no effort for someone to want to cause serious harm to innocent people to receive a weapon that can control life or death in anyway they seem fit.

7. If background checks weren't able to be misused, and only restricted people with a history of a violent felony from purchasing a firearm, I honestly wouldn't have a problem with it. But since that's not the case, I don't agree with them.

8. So whats everyone trying to say ? scrap gun law so anyone can go into a gunshop and buy a firearm? Dont be daft doesnt work like that...

9. fixed it for you. I know right what a radical idea two consenting individuals making a trade without government involvement the horror!!!

10. Thanks for the fix man.

11. In a free society, one that truly values and protects private property rights, yes, that's exactly what we are saying.

The real gun violence problem is in our inner cities and directly attributed to the unconstitutional war on drugs. It's the governments fault and the fault of anyone who is "for" the war on drugs.

Blaming a piece of private property instead of the individual is the collectivist thing to do. It's also ignorant and disingenuous. The real question is: Are such people, the gun grabbers, those claiming to care about gun murders and gun violence, ignorant or frauds?

Gun Control, the Drug War, and the Origin of Inner City Violence - Stephanie Slade (usnews.com)

12. you're not saying the war on drugs is the sole reason we have gun violence, is it?

13. If you consider gun violence, or deaths due to guns a problem, statistically, yes.

Random "mass shootings" are not common and are a drop in the bucket of overall deaths due to guns. Hell the statistics anti-gunners throw around include suicide which accounts for ~50% of deaths due to guns.

The response by anti-gunners was typical, it's a type of red herring fallacy which falls under an "appeal to emotion." Never will you hear anyone up in arms over blacks dying at twice the rate of whites even though they makeup a fraction of the population in comparison to whites. Over 50% of firearm deaths are black Americans which only make up approximately about 13% of the population.

Some white people get shot, oh my god, SOMETHING has to be done. And that something that must be done will do nothing to curb gun violence impacting inner cities. Again, anti gunners are either ignorant or frauds.