For all of the pro GMO people out there...

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by jimbobbybob, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Self appointed guardian of the status quo

[​IMG]

2. #22 BlazedGlory, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
    What does that have to do with the fact that the science supports the safety of current GM foods? I'm a defender of science, which says there's no elevated health risk from current GM crops. This is a well researched subject across the globe, and the weight of the evidence says they aren't harmful. No human trials have been conducted, but that's only because it raises many ethical issues of experimentation.

Monsanto =/= GMOs

3. So do you think Monsanto eats his own GMO food, ask yourself that question. If I had to place a bet, I'd say he doesn't

Organic food is more expensive because it is better. Yes, that's pretty vague, but quite simply you get for what you pay for

And don't forget GMOs are banned in 27 countries. Europe has done plenty of research on GMOs, google it

But hey, you guys do what you want. Ill eat organic while you're eating pink slime, boneless chickens, and GENETICALLY modified vegetables.

4. good article, thanks

5. Looks like all the GMOs went right to this guys brain

6. considering that the article in the op is about a scientific study and the comments he made.. I am inclined to agree with you.

7. Well...not quite.

Organic foods are higher in price because they cost more to produce, generally speaking, not because they are better.

I'm in the business, and I'm not going to defend Monsanto. But, right now, for many crops, using gmo's is simply the most economical choice. If the market for non-gmo develops to the point where I am getting sufficient reward for my risk I will move away from gmo's.

Please keep in mind that boneless chickens and pink slime are NOT genetical modifications...

Also, keep in mind that these introduced genes are naturally occurring. Bt corn produces a protein that when ingested by certain types of insects, kills them. Those genes that cause it to do that were discovered in nature in another plant, then introduced into the corn plant. Same goes for Roundup Ready genes. Those were taken from plants that were observed to have a natural resistance to glyphosate, which normally kills plants. So, these are naturally occurring mutations that are then introduced into a different species.

However, again, I will say that if its economically more advantageous to grow non-gmo's, the market will respond. For instance, the cattle I raise are all natural. But, after I sell them, they are being fed gmo corn to fatten them. Are you willing to pay more for me to fatten them using organic corn, or on grass? Either is an option, but it will drive up food prices by 20% or more...

8. I know Europe has done plenty of research on GMOs, and the main conclusion of a review of 10 years of research was that GM foods are no more risky than traditional crops, check it out.

ftp://ftp.cordis.europa.eu/pub/fp7/kbbe/docs/a-decade-of-eu-funded-gmo-research_en.pdf

Don't confuse Euro politics with Euro science. You guys gotta realize that the science is there, it supports GMOs, which is why I support it, seeing how it benefits so many people.

9. Lol I start posting peer reviewed research and everyone clears out :laughing:

10. I bet this corn they speak of is wax corn >:/

If youre gonna go after monsanto, dont lie about shit, you silly fundamentalists!

11. maybe they're busy reading that entire 200+ page document like you undoubtedly have already..:laughing:

12. hey I never claimed I read the whole review, because lots of it doesn't pertain directly to my argument, but I read all the parts about the biosafety of GM foods.

13. #33 Judgement, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
    yet you think people are hiding from you because they have read that monstrosity and are skurred..

14. Lol I was making a joke dude. But it's true that lots of people who have strong opinions about this topic really haven't read any of the actual peer reivewed, scientific research on the subject, which supports my viewpoint.

15. You apparently have a very strong opinion on this subject also. Strong enough to find this useless information that non of these potheads, including I, are going to read. And apparently you haven't read any of the actual peer review scientific research either......lol

No matter what you say I won't be joining you on your GMO and pink slime dinner. Thanks tho

16. I have read lots of research on this subject, that's how I generally form my opinions on a subject, by looking at scientific research. The scientific consensus is that current GM crops are no more risky than conventionally grown crops.

If you didn't even read it how can you say it's useless information? This is what I'm talking about, you aren't willing to look at the mountain of evidence that contradicts your preconceived notions.

17. You forgot one thing: money. Who on Gods green earth is going to give away food to entire continents? If they had the money to begin with, they would be eating. We can already feed the entire population, but it doesnt happen because of money. And it never will happen because offffff.... MONEY

18. Well GMOs can help poor people with that too. GMOs make food cheaper to produce. Forcing organic practices on people would price the poorest out of the market.

19. BlazedGlory obviously has some kind of stake in GMOs and will do anything to protect them. Remember, his brain is probably stuffed with chemicals so he can barely think straight most of the time. Let him keep eating his GMOs and we'll see how he responds in 40 years. He can be our test subject and if he ends up with a giant tumor in his brain or some kind of super-cancer we can be thankful we didn't listen to him. Cheers. :smoking: