Making A Better Oil Pen (PICS INCLUDED)

Discussion in 'E-Liquids & E-Juice, E-Cigarettes' started by WaxPayne, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Alright guys throwing up a couple reviews AND throwing in a bit about my homemade APV/Mech thang, as requested by the great Waxpayne!!! Dude has SERIOUSLY helped a blade out, and is my vape-hero!

Starting with my favorite RDA, the caterpillar. This thing is a BEAST, nicely weighted, with an intimidating girth and stature, it boasts 5 pre drilled holes on either side, and airflow is controlled by a sliding ring in the middle of the attie.
    The ONLY flaw to this RDA is how high the posts are, some tricky coil placement is called for if vaping heavier oils and shatter. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411215162.905414.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411215185.005948.jpg

Next is the trident v2, an EXCELLENT RDA, virtually no flaws, it IS better than the caterpillar in its ease-of-access design and also has a sliding ring around the middle, although only one varying-size hole is available at a time, it's just more discreet and less in your face than the caterpillar (I prefer shock and awe tactics) if you only ever try one RDA, this one should be on the go to list ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411215451.638534.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411215477.155274.jpg

And lastly, the original trident. A great starter RDA, this things way easy to build on and use consistently, obviously the v2 is a DEFINITE leap ahead of the original, it's great to see how it evolved ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411215914.905232.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Ahh forgot my build. This is my current stable build, I'm already on my next project, but this was taken as far as I could take it without spending DAYS on 1 project. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411216043.788458.jpg
    I'll start off by saying this build , and probably whatever I throw together in the future, while it works for me CURRENTLY with no issues, goes against quite a few "rules" concerning batteries and how to safely operate them. Don't try duplicating this or venture off and throw something together without EXTENSIVE research into batteries, wiring, soldering and electronics in general. Be safe.

All that being said, my build boasts 3x 3.7v 1100mah batteries taken from ego-t pens, wired in parallel for 3300 mah, which is nearly excessive. They were originally wired in series, but that was WAY to much power. In parallel however, I can literally vape for days.
    It has a push button from a flashlight on bottom, originally acting as firing mechanism, now is used as safety on/off as there's now a button installed on the top side. With 510 threading, it can handle ANYTHING I throw on it. It weighs in at a hefty 8oz and has a gel handle for ergonomic gripping. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411217132.596169.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411217181.096841.jpg

3. #1263 124112, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014

I still like my IMR batteries.

EDIT: Holy shit, homemade? I had to read further when I saw the button for it. That's insane.

4. Is the switch on that rated for enough amps? How's the wiring what Guage wire did you use

5. It's rated for 30amps, so no worries. It's the only part I went and bought. 2 for 6 $ not bad. My build uses mostly an internal post contact setup but the batteries are wired in with 30g wire. Running in series I had to beef up the wiring as the power was a little much, but I could move up to 30 when I switched to only parallel . Everything considered there's .3ohm resistance before throwing on an RDA, so of course that has to be factored in before building any coils.

6. .30 amps apparently.. Wtf. Just had the mech stop firing, and after testing EVERY part, I find the switch has fried. Sucky day, I can't get to a radio shack till monday

7. If going with globe and ego twist, does it matter which brand or they all similar?

Thanks

8. Ok, fuck. I don't know where to start....

I visited this thread over a year ago. I bought an EGO with the Kanger carts and that's what I've been using since then. I love them, but I see there have been changes in the vaping community.
    First of all, what the heck is all the RDA, or whatever talk? I see all these custom rigs? What's going on? 

I take it they hit better than the Kanger carts? Obviously. Can someone help me out? Tell me what to get?

I liked the ability to load the Kangers with a gram or more.  Are there options out there like that, that are still available? 

I'm obviously lost, but this thread has been a life-saver before, so I'm hoping for good results. 

9. Is this thread dead, or does it just take a bit of time for a reply? 

10. Sorry been extremely busy at work unfortunately..

UpTech's Ti Kiss carts or Gentlemens Mega are your best options if you want to go the cheap route(links below)

http://www.w9tech.com/titanium-gr2-kiss-cartridge-vaporizer/
    http://www.gentlemansvapes.com/collections/cartridges

or

I have been using the Persei + Hercules SR74 which you can also find on the w9tech site but its far more expensive.

Hope this helps.

11. *tl;dr @ the bottom: yo, sorry to rez such an old thread but it's just so useful I'm wondering why it's not stickied (conflict with advertisment?) and i alo think my question could be best answered here, since WaxPayne and chaseroot seem pretty helpful.

Anyways, I'm very close to making my own pen (I used to use a brand called HeadVape, and it worked really well actually...even though it had a wick, and didn't last too too long [3-5weeks].) But it was (and still is) $110, and it's literally just a Joytech eGo and their wax cart/cone on top. I now know I can do much better with much less. So I'm pretty settled on an eGo battery (1100mah, VV), a Gentlemen's V2 cart (maybe the Mega...), I already have a drip tip and cone, and a 510-601 Gentlemen's adapter so I can use the KISS Ti Gr2 Cart. Eventual attachments are the Yocan glass piece, and some globe attachment (thinking UpTech's, seems legit. Anyone used it?)

*[tl;dr]HOWEVER, I would like to know if I can use a Kanger EVOD Twist VV battery instead of the eGo? It's a bit more expensive, but the button looks cooler x) I'm not too savvy on battery tech and specs so if I can use it I would like to know, and if not, go with the trusted eGo.

Thanks!

Yeah the first ever oil pen I bought a "710Pen", which consisted of an eGo battery (with LCD display) and a shitty Vhit cart for about $120. Never making that mistake again.

I haven't tried the KISS carts, but I really like that they use titanium.

I'll be getting this thing when the Persei 8 comes out.

http://www.w9tech.com/okeanos-micro-vape-pen-bubbler/

13. #1273 kushinjikun, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
    Yeah, I heard about the Okeanos. Might think of getting that, but for another time ($99!?!?!)

But you didn' answer my question. Will a Kanger EVOD VV preform the same as the eGo Twist VV? (Both at 1000mah) Can I use the attachments I would like to use on the Kanger EVOD VV battery and expect the same (or close to the same) results as an eGo?

Thanks though for the quick reply! I thought this might get buried, people should know about this thread.

14. #1274 GentlemanJosh, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

You should get the same experience with either battery. They both are 510 ego threaded and are rated at 1000Mah. They both also have voltage dials on the bottom. They both more than likely have a 5-click on off system. The only difference I can think of is dial strength. How hard is it to turn the voltage dial and does it stay in place or move around in the pocket. Having used neither I cant say for sure.  But based on specs, they are about the same.

15. /

Thank you! If anything, I know some Amazon sellers selling 1000mAh VV batteries for ~$11.

Who are you and what have you done with Fez?

(welcome to GC)

17. #1277 Nanook, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2014
    First post!

A little over a year ago, this thread guided me towards what I still consider the perfect oil pen for me: the Seego vhit type a atomizer on a matching 650mAh black battery. http://i.imgur.com/Jl2qIc0.jpg THANK YOU EVERYONE. I love the size, the pen clip and the fact that I can load it with a glob of wax and be set for the evening even with getting several other people high.

That said, I wonder if anything better for me has come out in the last year. I'm looking for something I'd have to load up less often and has an easier draw. I don't think I'd want it to be much bigger, either. I would like to keep it eGo compatible, but I am looking in to the KISS cart for home use.

Speaking of the KISS cart, if I'm getting a 510 to 610 adapter to use it on an eGo battery, when ordering from W9, which "vaporizer type" should I choose: O-Phos or Omicron/Persei?

18. #1278 124112, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014

You should choose O-Phos as the vaporizer, as that is closest to an eGo battery. The Persei uses IMR.

It's 510 to 601. Make sure it's 510 battery, 601 thread.

EDIT: and get the 3.7v, not the 7.4. Also Ti grade 2.

19. lol. Fez has moved onto another part of the company, so I am the new outreach guy. Fez has trained me well in the art form of answering questions from  the masses. And thanks for the welcome!

20. Hey guys just checkin in.

I see there have been a steady amount of upgrades going on...

I have the ego twist, I got a few different carts but nothing seems to really get me going.

Gentlemens v2 still likely the best choice? I like the look of the ceramic/glass globes, thoughts?

I used to be up on my pen knowledge but I'm afraid I've been out of it for quite a bit now..