How is it possible to be an atheist?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by pickledpie, Apr 10, 2013.

1. #1741 NorseMythology, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
    No i wouldnt, theism is the broad belief in god, religion is a construct around that belief (if it is a theistic religion).

Edit - thats why i said the other way around ;-)

2. Sorry i didnt see your question and my notifications stopped working. "It only takes one white crow to prove not all crows are black"

So you basically just took the known black swan problem and replaced it with a white crow.. to make it confusing? Thought maybe there could of been a different meaning behind it, white crows have a good bit more superstition behind them than a black swan does.

4. No william james did.

5. #1745 Account_Banned283, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015

No.. Theism is the belief in an interventionist God/s, Deism is the belief in a non-interventionist God/s. Under the first definition of Religion, which is simply, 'a belief in God/s', then Theism is secondary to Religion, because it is simply a type of Religion, and not Religion itself.

6. Where are you getting your cherrypicked definition?

7. why do you engage that Guy? He doesn't even have an opinion. He lurks the forums and argues with people.just to argue.

You might as well argue with a tree

-yuri

8. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Notice 'a'.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/religion

I'm not saying that the word Religion when taken in its entirety always means a belief in God/s, but that a belief in God/s always means having a Religion. In definition 'a', which is what's important here, Theism is a subspecies of Religion, insofar as Theism is only one form of Religion.

10. gonna go out on a limb here and say he "liked" the part about it getting dull.

Since you "like" the semantics game, I should point out that "like" and."agree" are two very different words.

If you "like" a post, that means the post brought you pleasure. It doesn't mean you agree with the poster

-yuri

11. So why is it atheism not areligionism? Lol

12. My honest opinion is that Atheism is an Idea like anything else..and in Sociological terms can be called a meme..that is created and transmitted through culture....anything other than this is not necessarily Atheism..and so on and so on..inside and out..

Whether this belief is rational or not..it at least has some space to occupy in the mind at the very last resort..that Atheism is indeed an idea..doesnt necessarily mean that God doesnt Exist..but that someone could Conjecture that God Doesnt Exist..indeed is a Speaking of the Freedom of the Mind and Speech to Form Cogent Sentences and arguments about the nature of God and Existence..in so far that I am an Existentialist...

And with this Witnessing is a Serving of two masters..one that believes and one that does not believe...

13. #1753 Bluntzilla420, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    I often see or hear that atheists possess no morals, which is laughable at best. How do atheists not have morals? That's a straw man argument proposed without any proof. It's a theory that has no clout. And if we are talking about a "foundation," what is the religious foundation? Thousands of years of bloodshed over deities that do or do not exist? It's 2015 and people are still killing each other over these imaginary rulers. Talk about petulance... these people tend to have the intelligence of children.
    \nIf I were in a room with an atheist and a religious person, I'd converse with the atheist the entire time because that person has no agenda. It really is as simple as that: most religious people go to church a few times a year, or pray when life has got them down, or they need to win the lottery to avoid foreclosure. How can one be so obtuse as to ascertain that atheist have no morals, anyway; who are you to determine such things as true?
    \nAtheists just want a fair shake. Sure, some are over the top and go out of their way to attack another thought base. What some douche does on Twitter doesn't mean shit to me. But when someone like Richard Dawkins speaks, I will listen because he's an intelligent, informed individual. Atheists get lambasted pretty often in the media, actually, especially when it comes to politics and general earthly views. I have heard my coworkers rip on atheists in the office; what if I did the opposite to them? Probably wouldn't go over well...
    \nPeople will believe what they want to believe, and that's fine. I think the main idea is to educate people on what they actually are supporting and believing. We need a more informed nation in general, and I think it's happening in waves -- especially among Millenials. There will be a huge culture shift by 2030-2040. It's already happening in certain areas.

14. I agree with CA - there is no right or wrong way to believe. Nobody has any real answers because when we find out it's no longer up for discussion. However I also dont understand how somebody can not believe in any kind of higher power. It seems egotistical. Just my opinion tho.

15. #1755 yurigadaisukida, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
    I feel its the opposite.

The idea that there must be intelligence is an extention of our own ego. We feel we must personify the universe.

Why must the universe be like us? Religion is the manifestation of human hubris

-yuri

16. #1756 enjoyandlive, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
    i think it's like a lottery ball pick. your soul remains the same through galaxies and when you die in one galaxy you are respawned as a new body in a new galaxy on a new planet with no memory of anything prior. so basically i believe in reincarnation, and that there is much life out there unexplored. kind of irrelevant but it was mentioned in this thread prior. you can spawn as anything.. maybe bacteria fungus and all that don't exist in other universes/galaxies.

Sent from my intergalactic spaceship hotbox

17. I think i mentioned this to you before but ill toss it out again :)

How do we have intelligence in the effect (us or the universe)if there wasnt intelligence in the first cause (however you wish to define this cause idc)?

18. Hi Yuri!
    Hi Norse! :wave:
    Hi manticore! Devoured anybody lately?

19. *tip of the hat*