How is it possible to be an atheist?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by pickledpie, Apr 10, 2013.

1. It may be logical but I find it somewhat cowardly. Adhere to an opinion based on your own merits. Agnosticism treads the fence between fact and fiction without actually adding anything substantial to the general discussion.

2. Yeah, bitter atheists...

You do realize that atheism is rising at record levels in the United States, right? If not, read once in a while.

3. That's what I sorta am but starting to lead down towards apathy, I'm not really influenced or affected by Religion.

4. Hey God, ya there?
    No response...
    I'm going with he doesn't exists haha.

Just too hard for me to believe some hippie with a beard is just chillin up in the clouds. Just watching our world fall to shit.
    Hard to believe a being with infinite knowledge would create such an awful species like us. We destroy our environment, kill off other species completely.
    Sorry for rambling guys, just my thoughts on the shit.
    Take it easy.

5. All you're doing is changing labels for terms that already exist and it adds nothing to the discussion. It explains nothing.

6. Oh boy...:rolleyes:
    Some. Bitter. Atheist. Not atheists. Re-read that before you suggest that I read once in a while.
    I say that because it's true, every time someone questions atheism some mock thread shows up making fun of it and glorifying atheism like it's so superior and above most beliefs. I'm not dissing any beliefs at all mind you, but threads like these always prove a bit pointless, don't you think? Don't get all bitter and argue-mental now, and have an awesome day dude:wave:

7. I'm not an atheist, but a devout agnostic.

You claim there is a big invisible man that lives in the sky. I cannot see or hear him, therefore there is no evidence that he exists.

You are making the claim, you have the burden of proof.

8. I just believe in what I see it's no more hard to believe in that then believing some ridiculous story humans made up to explain things before we knew how nature works. Ex Volcano's- "God must be angry" that type of stuff

9. How is it possible to believe in God?

Atheism just makes perfect sense. God makes no sense at all. The mere idea if God requires you to be less intelligent to even think about let alone believe.

Its like asking if people believe in Santa...

10. #51 A AnoesisOrange, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
    The great thing is that subjectively making sense of what is, is not a prerequisite for what is to be.

11. What about people who believe in Satan?

12. How can you believe some dude in the sky where there is no proof but a book that someone obviously wrote on drugs..like c'mon

13. A giant floating man in the sky makes more sense than an explosion from nothing.

Nothing can't explode. However, a floating man in the sky can create things.

14. [​IMG]

15. but, was the 'big bang' intentional, a miracle or an enigma? whats the purpose of something coming from nothing, except eventual consciousness. what experience is there beyond being conscious.. pure unadulterated formless consciousness? does consciousness require an environment to exist?

16. #57 The Audion, Apr 10, 2013
    The big bang was not "something coming from nothing"

Did you guys even go to high school?

Let's not get too uppity here. I shouldn't be acting so arrogant, I'm no cosmologist.

Remember we're asking questions that may have no answer.

17. Pretty sure the big bang theory does not suggest that "nothing" explodes and creates the universe. Was never good at science but i believe matter has always existed and the big bang just created the universe as we know it.

Either way, the mystery of how everything was created is not answered by religion or atheism. People who believe in religion cannot explain how god came to be any better than atheists can explain how the universe came to be. This is why Id classify myself as a "spiritual" agnostic. While religion is too ridiculous to believe, through my hallucinogenic experiences I've come to believe in some sort of power.

18. Is it too crazy to think that there was no creation? There was no "nothing" at one time? That the universe is just something that always was? Something with no beginning and no end? The literal example of infinity?

19. #60 cball, Apr 10, 2013

you trying a spin on an old fallacy there skippy...:confused:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

you failed to prove jack shit and ask others to prove you wrong...

I bet algorithm proof is found in some cult like bible...:ey: