How is it possible to be an atheist?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by pickledpie, Apr 10, 2013.

1. The concept of being an atheist just doesn't make sense too me. What exactly do you mean when you say you are an atheist?

How is it possible for existence to be in existence if there is not a source? Is not the source god? Isn't the algorithms that dictate existence god?

Explain to me why you are an atheist and how it could possibly make sense.

2. I honestly don't understand how anyone can be anything other than agnostic.

3. All you're doing is giving new meaning to the word god...

4. Well, what's the original meaning of the word god? Because I grew up learning the Sikh definition of god.

5. Because I don't believe we came from a god.

We came from a series of ideal events that slowly created the universe, earth, life, then us.

It's not that hard a concept to grasp honestly lol
    I believe in science, not that some giant floating man in the sky made us out of dirt then women from our bones...

6. it's simple. i don't believe in organized religion. i believe that one should simply live their life and be a decent person, and not feel that their life is dictated or somehow being manipulated, solely because they choose to believe or not believe. just live and be happy.

7. This too

8. But how did these events occur? Where did matter come from? I believe that the force that dictates all and is all is god, not a floating man in the sky.

9. it just is. y can't that be it

10. y does ur view have to be right. that's what i dont get about religion. they aren't even allowed to fathom the possibility of an alternate answer

11. It is true, that all religions are corrupted to some degree. But, one should not blindly believe what another tells you and one should search for themselves. Anyone who truly searches for answers cannot truly believe that life is meaningless, there is a creative force that brought everything into existence, only greater can create lesser. I personally have been searching for the vast majority of my life for answers and i have learned much. I Believe that one should live with integrity, righteousness and virtue, always in pursuit of truth. For falsehood is the devil, not a man. Good and Evil exist within the realm of thought and deed. The goal is to gain wisdom and knowledge and become God, for we are creators. The path off truth cannot be delivered by religion or belief systems, it is a journey one must them self embark upon.

12. well you have fun with that. i'm gonna go smoke some pot

13. I'm sorry but I never said my view has to be right. Also, I am not religious, only spiritual. Tell me what the alternate answer is. I cannot fathom there being no cause for creation, is that something one could fathom? I think it somewhat goes against scientific reasoning. I'm very inclined to scientific thinking myself, there is no other thinking, only truth and falsehood. But science is a tool that can be misused and bring about interpretations that are incorrect, and this happens quite regularly, sometimes due to ignorance and other times do to intentional manipulation.

14. We live in a cultural that endorses Consumerism, Materialism and Competition. This is a doctrine that is supported by the idea that life is meaningless, thus we should attempt to garner as much wealth and status as possible because we will simply die and it doesn't quite matter how we treat others. This is deception of the greatest kind, we are deceived by people who wish to control and the only reason they wish to control is because they themselves are deceived.

15. You just contradicted your self in your own philosophy like 3 times.

If you're free to think for yourself then you're obviously not doing such a great job if your clinging to the religious bull you've been forced to accept as reality.
    And we don't think life is pointless, or at least I know that I don't. We live to maintain this world and we were created by the universe to understand itself!
    It's people like you who accept to just believe the shit you're told because you think you'll be punished for questioning your "god" that truly ruin the meaning of human life.

16. I am an atheist because I believe intelligence can't create a universe.

The existence of the universe makes.perfect sense to me.

17. It has nothing to do with what you can "fathom". That doesn't even matter. It's just that you question it! Creationism is such a juvenile means of explaining the universe.
    Oh all this stuff exists, so there must have been a magic floating man to make it.
    If you think this then tell me, where did god come from?
    How did he exist if nothing else did?

18. I think you misunderstood what I attempted to convey. I do think for myself, I am in fact saying that the views that religions propose are very wrong, "We live to maintain this world and we were created by the universe to understand itself!". Well this is what I meant as god. I have researched in depth into basically every major religion and I can tell you that the religious experience nowadays is just a system of control. The view in the old testament of Judaism and Christianity isn't even Monotheistic, it is Henotheism. It was basically a bunch of tribes that each had their own god fighting against each other. Islam, is basically the same as the old testament view, but Hinduism is onto something.

Hinduism now may be just another scheme for money and control, but if you read the ancient books, the Vedas, you will see that it is just a lot of science. It is basically the study of astrology and Consciousness, coupled with physics.

Buddhism is also nice, as is Sikhism.

19. Some say the big bang made everything.

Some say a God created everything.

I don't believe in either. There is hardly any solid evidence supporting each claim.

20. My friend, you are greatly confused. God has been personified by people and has none of the characteristics you described. God by himself is the one Ultimate, Transcendent Reality, Nirguna (without attributes), Timeless, Boundless, Formless, Ever-existent, Immutable, Ineffable, All-by Himself and even Unknowable in His entirety. He is Not only the creator but the created.
    You are thinking of a personified god, which makes no sense, but god is everything.