Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

You can increase potency by baking your weed before smoking it.

• Please log in to reply

inhale

inhale

Sultan of Swing

• Registered Upgraded
  • 317 posts
This is new to me. Discussion going on about it here:
http://www.shroomery.../0/fpart/1/vc/1

and I pasted some of it here:

"Well I was reading one of Shroomie Of Doomie's post and it said that baking weed in the oven until in will crumble into dust when pinched will increase potentcy. This is true? any drawbacks? "

" Yes its true. Last time I bought some herb, me and a friend went in on a half oz, and none of it was smoked unless it was cooked first. Cooking at about 240-260F for 10-15 minutes converts more of the non-actives into THC, thus creating a higher potency. If you're hesitant to "waste" any weed, just try it with 1 bowl, 2 if you're a daily smoker. Smoke it, and let it hit you. I bet that you'll realize that you haven't been that high in a long time(unless you smoke hash also).

Not really any drawbacks from this, except you gotta be more careful when you load the bowl so that you don't crumble it all up. And the smoke doesn't taste as fresh as when smoking non-baked herb, but it's definitely worth it. Try it out man, you'll be glad you did. Theres people on here that say they always bake their weed, and I'm one of them. But I don't smoke anymore, I mainly just cook with it. But seriously, TRY IT Posted Image"

" I remember once making a joint from some left-over weed from my Hookah - I had left one of the hot stones sitting over it for awhile, but ended up not smoking it, so the hot rock was just heating it
the entire time (not on purpose, I just didnt get around to smoking). Few days later I was out of weed and looking for scraps for anything to smoke. Rolled a joint from that stuff - and it got me the
most ripped I had been in a LONG time.

Never occured to me to try simply baking my weed in the oven for a bit -- I may try this soon :P "
  • DCrist721 likes this

BlazinAZN

BlazinAZN

• Registered Upgraded
  • 184 posts
i thought thc vaporizes at 200 degrees ...i read that in making hash from kif with an iron....but maybe that "fact" i read wasnt correct

inhale

inhale

Sultan of Swing

• Registered Upgraded
  • 317 posts
I haven't tried it, that's why I'm pasting and not posting from experience. It definitely sounds like it's worth a try if you're willing to spare at least half a bowl, even if the chemistry doesn't make sense right now. I will be trying it the next time I smoke though.

BlazinAZN

BlazinAZN

• Registered Upgraded
  • 184 posts
yeah but i dunno i guess im more of a scientific believer in things....i need to see proof i feel like ...with everything because your mind can easily play tricks on you....my point is just cause you think it may get you higher you could get yourself subconsiously worked up and then smoke it and end up "thinking " you got higher...and the post i was referring to is a sticky in the seasoned tokers section called "making hash made easy" or something like that and its the second post the guy made on there

Motoxridah

Motoxridah

Only users lose drugs

• Old School
  • 5,571 posts
I call bullshit... but hey, you never know. Someone prove me wrong

TK-Zao

TK-Zao

Full Blown

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
THC degrades in temperatures greater than 200 F, if you want to increase potency cure it. Most commercial growers don't cure long if at all.
  • Boosh likes this

emrandel

emrandel

Old School Stoner

• Old School
  • 2,076 posts
I find it slightly strange that this method was ripped from something else. In reality this is how you prepare herb to eat it. This temperature at this time (or in that general range) "activates" the THC so that the human body can digest it and get much more high. I'm not sure if it works for smoking, it doesn't make much sense. But I guess if someone wants to do it, go ahead. I know I won't try it. If I already go through that process I'll just eat my herb and get much higher for much longer.

Peace

rounder975

rounder975

• Registered Upgraded
  • 290 posts
I call bullshit too

If the bud crumbles I cant imagine it having higher potency.. sounds like someone got an idea to try this and the placebo effect took over. I mean come on, you fucking cooked it.

D-Dog

D-Dog

GROWAHOLIC

• Registered Upgraded
  • 886 posts
No, No, This isn't true don't do it.

DCrist721

DCrist721

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 1,275 posts
Alot of people at that site are swearing by it. Since weed vaps at like 276 or something, it wont hurt to cook it at 240 for 15 minutes, I think Ill give it a try later.

sysdownfall

sysdownfall

Smatty Focker

• Old School
  • 1,304 posts

Alot of people at that site are swearing by it. Since weed vaps at like 276 or something, it wont hurt to cook it at 240 for 15 minutes, I think Ill give it a try later.

Yea, Ima give it a try in a little bit too.

Mr. Muffin

Mr. Muffin

• Registered Upgraded
  • 351 posts
i think the reason people think its soo good is when its that dry it burns really fast and gives u huge hits. same amount of thc, just more per hit...
could be a good thing could be bad depending on the # of people smoking and how much herb u got.

maestroelite

maestroelite

• Registered Upgraded
  • 343 posts
Interesting. I have some Blueberry thats still pretty moist, I'm about to give it a go with a .15g chunk of it. A .1-.2g bowl gets me a nice buzz as is, so this should be a decent test. I'll let you guys know later.

TheColonel

TheColonel

Cannabis Connoisseur

• Old School
  • 2,315 posts
It is possible, but its hard to say at what point you're not getting any returns from doing this.

CBD is the precursor to THC. CBD is indeed turned into thc at a certain level of heat. But at the same time, you could be transferring some THC into CBN, or just plain losing some cannabinoids in the oven.

I'll stick to Not baking my herb. Interesting post tho.

Edit: we should get our temperatures straight. some people are speakin in different terms.

Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
Boiling point: 157*C / 314.6 degree Fahrenheit

cannabidiol (CBD)
Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit

Cannabinol (CBN)
Boiling point: 185*C / 365 degree Fahrenheit

twave33

twave33

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,647 posts

i thought thc vaporizes at 200 degrees ...i read that in making hash from kif with an iron....but maybe that "fact" i read wasnt correct

Perfectly said. It does begin to vaporize at 200 degrees and if it is cooked for 10-15 whole minutes at around 250 it will be worthless weed...no THC in it anymore so it is definately bullshit and a waste of weed.

rounder975

rounder975

• Registered Upgraded
  • 290 posts
Dude, he just said above your post that delta9 THC boils (vapes) at 314.6. I don't see any reason he'd just make those numbers up so they are probably correct. Besides, 200 degrees F is really, really low.

HerbMan420

HerbMan420

Cannabis Enthusiast

• Registered Upgraded
  • 216 posts
sounds interesting. lets hear some results. if that is in fact true then maybe that explains why the roach of a joint is so much more potent. i have read that heating weed to a certain temp can change the CBN and CBD into THC and give u a dif high. i dunno if that applies to smoking but im interesting in hearing some results. u gotta back this shit up with proof before i risk wasting my weed

TheColonel

TheColonel

Cannabis Connoisseur

• Old School
  • 2,315 posts

Dude, he just said above your post that delta9 THC boils (vapes) at 314.6. I don't see any reason he'd just make those numbers up so they are probably correct. Besides, 200 degrees F is really, really low.

yessur. my information was taken from this study
http://www.omma1998....1(3-4)-2001.pdf

however it begins to vaporize at lower temps. you just dont see a substantial transfer until 314.6

In a recent study, traces of THC were vaporized at temperatures as low as 140°C (284°F)
and the majority of THC vaporized by 185°C (365°F);

weshh

weshh

• Registered Upgraded
  • 146 posts

sounds interesting. lets hear some results. if that is in fact true then maybe that explains why the roach of a joint is so much more potent. i have read that heating weed to a certain temp can change the CBN and CBD into THC and give u a dif high. i dunno if that applies to smoking but im interesting in hearing some results. u gotta back this shit up with proof before i risk wasting my weed

could u send me a link where u read about how diff temps. change the CBN and CBD into THC to produce a different high. that sounds very intresting

Ẅest Čoast

Ẅest Čoast

i'm just a soul whose intentions are good

• Registered Upgraded
  • 10,239 posts

i think the reason people think its soo good is when its that dry it burns really fast and gives u huge hits. same amount of thc, just more per hit...
could be a good thing could be bad depending on the # of people smoking and how much herb u got.

thats what i think too...very dry weed smokes way easier...thats why shake will often get you more higher then the actual nugs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users