Anybody know about Ceramic Metal Halide lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by gcs699, Apr 4, 2013.

1. I read an extensive journal on another site where someone used one 400w CMH thru the whole cycle...seed thru harvest...I like the idea of using the same bulb thru the whole process...however in doing research on these bulbs, I find very little...the grow in question that I read about was at during july-sept (more or less) of 2009, so if it were a new technology then I would think it would be more utilized today...I found some info about them, and how they have a fuller spectrum of light, presumably as close to sunlight as one can get...also price of these are lower...only downside is ballast limitations...says no digital...thought anyone?

2. I've been using a 250w CMH for a couple years now, veg through flower. The reason you don't hear much about them is the fact they only go up to 400w. And yes, you need a magnetic HPS ballast to run em.

3. Any reason why ur using 250W? Assuming its a space limiting deal? I saw a company called DNA Lighting Solutions that has a 330W and a 900W, but there is next to no info on them...you ever hear of them?

4. Haven't heard of em, but I really don't research much anymore in regards to lighting. Ya, space restrictions. 2x2 closet.

5. U running DWC?

6. Organic soil.

7. To the best of my knowledge, DNA Lighting is using the Philips Allstart CDM, whish is currently available. They make one in an 830/860 wattage, has a real nice spectrum, but has to be run vertically-oriented. Made as a retrofit for a 1000w MH, and runs off a 1000w magnetic MH ballast. I think DNA may be producing a digital ballast designed to run this lamp. Not 100% sure, though.

8. Thanks Robby...any experience using them? Or maybe someone you have heard about? The grower I referred to in my initial post used a 400W in a cabinet, but my application is in a 7x7 room, so different that what he did...