Ironheads Perpetual Dream Room

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Ironhead, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Yea! Rinsed well before use, I will mix up some more nutes tonight. I'm going to calibrate my pH meter too and double check everything. I may add some lite cal-mag as well as ZenZyme and Voodoo Juice. Give them a good drench with lots of run off to flush any buildups.

I ran h3ad in DWC with no issues like this. I'm hoping I can pull my shit together!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

2. #19962 Ironhead, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
    Hey PyspherE I think you may be over watering.. Let that sucker dry out and give it half the amount of water you have been.

When they are small, it's easy to do the lift test to see if they need more water or not. No worries tho.. I've seen plants look exactly that before. Once you figure out that sweet spot, they will really take off.

You aren't adding anything to adjust the ph at all right? The formula should come out to right around 6.0 without anything needed.

3. #19963 Ironhead, Mar 31, 2015
    Ps. Please don't add cal/mag brother.

The ZenZyme should be ok it's pretty much the same thing as Hygrozyme.. Just use it in very small doses in each watering. I add it in veg and flower at .5ml per gallon.

4. I'm sure you have heard people saying when growing with leds their plants seem to show cal and/or mag defs, so they dose up on it.
    My question is im considering giving your technique a go next grow but wondering if I should dose with extra cal-mag like others do, or do you think your formula will cover that?

Chef.

Head Chefs Indoor and Outdoor Adventures - http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1289059-Headchef%27s-indoor-and-outdoor-adventures

5. #19965 Ironhead, Mar 31, 2015
    I guess I don't really understand when folks say the plants grown under LED's need more nutrients.

If i put a plant out on my back patio and grow it in coco with the H3ad formula, it will grow great.

Is there something LED's have the sun doesn't? :confused_2: :p

I'm not a fan of cal/mag at all. It alters the taste and burn of your bud big time. I was at one time an avid user of it.. But I have since seen the light. :smoke:

6. Thanks brother! I will hold off on the cal-mag.

I do have to adjust my pH a bit, my city water in north of pH 8.5 so it comes out between 6.5-7.0 with just the 6ml:9ml:1g.

I've never had issues with adjusting my pH before in DWC but perhaps I will grab a 5gal of distilled and see if that fixes things!

I try to water no more than every 4 days, closer to 5-6 days right now cause they just hit the 1 gal pot 10 days ago. Today will be the 3rd feeding in the 1gal pots. I transplanted on the 20th and fed them, then on the 26th I fed them again, and here we are today for their 3rd feeding. Does this seem to often? I try and let them get almost done dry, just before i feel they will start to wilt.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated brother!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

7. I don't quite understand the science behind it, but it's been very apparent in a lot of led grow I have been following.

I am not a fan eifer, just the way people say 'it's a cal-mag def, dose it with cal-mag' makes me giggle :laughing:

Chef.

Head Chefs Indoor and Outdoor Adventures - http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1289059-Headchef%27s-indoor-and-outdoor-adventures
    I don't quite understand the science behind it, but it's been very apparent in a lot of led grow I have been following.

I am not a fan eifer, just the way people say 'it's a cal-mag def, dose it with cal-mag' makes me giggle :laughing:

Chef.

8. Got it all figured out! Thanks for the suggestion!

When I watered I checked the run off. It was all the way down at 4.5. I ran enough nutrient solution through them to bring that up to 5.5. I think I may be able to skip the pH down in the future and I will probably alternate watering and feeding until they hit flower now. I think the medium is holding onto a lot of salts so the extra plain water should help negate that!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

Back in my bottled nutrient days I alternated water with feeding and it worked good for me. I never knew you needed to watch the pH but my plants grew just fine.

10. You lost me on that one. I never ph, I never check run off, I never do any of that. I think you are wayyyy over thinking it. Throw that hydro frame of mind out the window.

Try not to adjust your ph at all. It really doesn't need to be... So whatever you add to "adjust" it throws off the balance of the nutrient profile, which causes deficiencies to show.

Don't alternate water and nutrients.. It's nutrients all the time in veg. All due respect to Pak, but he doesn't grow in this method.. Not sure why he would offer his opinion on it... If you don't feed every watering, you will be missing out on 50% of the growth. That's like flushing your DWC every other day with fresh water.. Just doesn't make sense.

You aren't building up salts in the medium.. You need to adjust the way you are watering, it's as simple as that really my friend. Try to water every other day.. But add just enough so the pot is light when it's time to feed again.

11. Iron, I thought you watered everyday?? Just a little but everyday. I even watched a video explaining the importance of it. I've been watering my clones every other day since transplanting to 1 gallons. They look great. I'm a little confused. I hate to keep asking this stuff. I know you don't mind but still. I think I've got it down and then, poof! Lol!

I broke up some more coco, expanded and rinsed just like you and tightly packed some solos. I got 4 of 6 seeds already germed and into the cups. Pimp Daddy Purps is the first out! There is a little bit of 6/9/Epsom mix in there but not too much. It's on a heating mat and the dome is on! Sound right??

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427841345.386279.jpg

How do you store extra coco? Any important tips or advice?

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1323267-300-watt-led-cabinet-grow-ww-x-bb-ww-x-skunk-1.html

12. No problem at all Lixx! I want it to work for you guys and I know it can! I've seen all these problems before, so it's no problem for me to write how to correct it.. As with most container gardening, the way you water has a very big impact on how the plant grows. There is a small learning curve with coco, but I promise you guys will get it if you stick with it.

I water every other day in veg, every day in flower, but that's all depending on how heavy the pots are.. I always push them around to see how heavy they are cause they are too big to pick up.

Seeds look good.. Next time, add only 3/4's of the cup full of coco, so as the seedling grows and stretches, you can add more in there for support.

I do like to start the seeds straight into the cup, then cover it for 48 hours, just like you got it there.. Once the 48 hours it up, just take the cover off and they will sprout up in a few days.

13. Ohhh and get rid of that dome.. It's not needed for seeds.

I have a bucket of expanded coco out in my garage.. I don't do anything special with it, but I do make sure to rinse it well before using it.

14. Ironhead said, "All due respect to Pak"

I will admit and have that I didn't know what I was doing back in my cellar. I got bud and I was happy. I never grew using the techniques you do. I used ProMix (threw it out after each grow) and a veg formula and a flower formula for nutrients. I did alternate water with nutrients so I was feeding the plants about once a week. I grew 4' plants and not the monster I see in you rooms. If I was still growing in ProMix I see I would have to follow what you do. Mixing my own soil works well for my cellar. Water and enzyme tea is all the girls need.

15. Ya my bad man.. The app had your post above his at first, so I thought he took your idea and thought he solved his problem. When I hit refresh and it shifted, I felt like a boob.

In flower you can alternate waterings, but in veg, you want them as big as possible as quick as you can get there.

16. I scraped the pH adjustment today, used just the 3 parts. I will start watering less but more often, so every other day instead of every 4/5 days. I'll scrap the alternating idea and see how it goes! Thanks again for the help!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

17. Pro-mix is peat based right? In my short comparison I've found that i have to water peat more frequently than coco. However, with peat i have to do regular water only(with epsom) to prevent ph issues but coco has been just fine with feed feed feed. I know I'm not as experienced as either of you but its really the only experience i have.

18. ^^^ Yep feed feed feed with coco in veg.. But don't overwater! :D

Scooped up this sweet ass pendant today. This dude kills these lil skulls. :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woot.. Gonna be a nice addition to my lil collection. :ey:

19. Yup that over watering is definitely a key no no.

20. I ask because I have a ton of trim now.. In the past I only had a small amount so I made oil. I don't know what to do with it all ATM...