Subcools new supersoil mix

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by GanjaTech, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Also radioactive.

2. Not a fan of rock phosphate.

At all.

J

3. Thanks all for feedback
    im ready to make my the soil mix but unfortunately the temps in my garage are too cold to let the soil cook. hopefully soon I can put it in a room temperature garage.

Do you think I can leave the garbage cans with soil mix in cold temps for a week or two before going into warmer temps

4. well because I don`t have rock phosphate im not going to bother with it. there is other stuff i can add.

5. Cycle inside the house? It's not going to smell as long as it's aerobic, the higher temps are really going to get those microbes cycling. But if that's not possible just cycle for an extended time since it's getting such a slow start.

Depending on the amount of N sources and amounts (see: Alfalfa) your mix is going to create a decent amount of it's own heat.

6. yeah, its been in my house for 2hrs now and its not smelling at all. It`ll be in my house for 2 months now. I used soil that was moist already and the worm castings were slightly moist aswell. I sprayed about 500ml of water during the mixing process, now the whole batch has a moist texture to it. im concerned about if the soil will dry up. should i be adding more water

7. Why not? Do tell? I know neem cake does the same thing holding N in the soil. Insect frass is anothergreat ammendment i havent seen mentioned here. I build My own soil beenworking great.

8. #28 GiMiK, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2013
    Something to do with an isomer they found in it that tends to be radioactive...let me try to find the link.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/333940-post-your-organic-tea-recipe-71.html

"The world uranium resources in phosphate rocks are estimated at 9x10^6 metric tonnes (mt) of Uranium(U). In most situations, it is left in the produced fertilizer as a radioactive contaminant necessitating health physics and radiation protection measures to protect its handlers."

http://mragheb.com/NPRE%20402%20ME%20405%20Nuclear%20Power%20Engineering/Uranium%20Resources%20in%20Phosphate%20Rocks.pdf

http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1059b/report.pdf

9. A spray bottle works fine, you notice if your soil is peat base the sides will dry up quickly. Spray and turn with a fork if you have one since air flow is low in a trash can.

HaGGarD

10. thats fucked up shit. looks like im staying away from rock phosphate. Why is it radioactive to begin with?

11. Without doing a bunch of digging, I'll simply state it was there to begin with. Still doesn't mean we should be introducing it into our medicine and/or food if an alternative is possible.

Perhaps MM could enlighten us with the results of his friends testing, if he happens to see this.

12. granite is radioactive as well, but i still see many growers who use granite dust in their soil

not saying two wrongs make a right, but im just sayin'

13. Really got a link??? I wonder at what levels

HaGGarD

14. well, the article is about granite countertops.........but granite is granite.

Granite Countertops and Radiation | Radiation Protection | US EPA

a google search of "granite radioactive" will get you tons of info as well, some saying how bad it is and other saying it isnt.

but, just like the quote above, any mined mineral from the earth has a strong potential to contain radioactive isotopes. this includes azomite & dolomite.

i suppose the "radiation" isnt too much of an issue, imo. i assume its more common to get effected by radiation from talking on the cell phone than you would from using rock dusts in your soil..........

.......unless your rockdusts were derived near "the motherload of barium" :p

15. Question guys, isn't there some place to get this super soil already mixed? Or is there a reason why you have to mix the soils yourself due to the microbes or something dying?

16. #36 GiMiK, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
    Mix your own soil to:

a) save yourself money by sourcing raw amendments rather than paying for water and/or labor.
    b - construct a more "complete" soil ecosystem by introduction of various plant and mineral amendments not commonly available in commercial mixes
    c) educate yourself on the soil food web and thus gain a bit of insight into how and why things play out the way they do
    d) educate yourself on the botanical and horticultural processes that pertain to cannabis, as along with soil they're the most talked about points here. 
    e) supply benefits related to the raw materials degradation and plenty of humus not commonly available in commercial mixes.

17. Lets not forget the sun is also radioactive:) LOL. 

18. I know the Soft Rock Phosphate discussion was started awhile back but saw that it was still kind of ongoing. Here's a little LD tidbit that I had saved in my notes from discussions awhile back.

"I'll limit my comments to these:

1. Not all SRP products are manufactured (yes - manufactured) in the same way

2. Not all SRP mines (sources) are equal

3. For me, I would never, ever use any SRP other than the material out of Tennessee - called Tennessee Brown or something like that. You may have a better chance to find it than we would on the West Coast

4. The 'Phosphorus makes big flowers' is part & parcel of the cannabis growing lexicon and it is a myth like most of the other ones like bat guano and such

5. You will always lose the Phosphorus argument with stoners. Always. Look at my attempts to explain Dolomite Lime - LMAO

Enzymes, biochemistry in the soil, etc. - that's what makes plants grow. Remember plants are nothing more than Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen with tiny, tiny amounts of macro and micro elements. An examination of a Chlorophyl molecule is all you need to look at and then pop-over and look at a red blood cell - talk about enlightening. The only difference is that plant material contains a single Magnesium atom (one only) in a group of - guess what - Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen and animal cells have a single Iron (Fe) atom.

Get your brain wrapped around that and the 'feeding of plants' will become crystal clear. You and I can't live on supplements because that's what they are - supplements. When we eat our garden's bounty we're getting enzymes, phytohormones, free-radicals and on and on and on.

With your EWC and CoM compost about the last thing you need to be concerned about are 'nutes' - your work is done. You can offer information to others but some things simply aren't worth explaining. You're up against decades of misinformation via fertilizer companies, i.e. it's not just grow stores though they've taken things to levels unparalleled.

"Tennessee Brown of get out of town"
    -----------------------------------------
    "The issues with SRP run far and deep. To be upfront, I don't come to this discussion with clean hands. I participate in a group within Oregon Tilth that is trying to get the Calphos brand (specifically) delisted here. This is from the infamous mine in Florida that has caused much of the stir over SRP - Uranium and Cadmium levels being the main ones.

Regardless, the need for Phosphorus is a complicated one but I can assure you that the materials you use have the Phosphorus deal covered - kelp, alfalfa, comfrey and in particular the lobster shells. What always gets lost in discussing this or that material is that everything is isolated out - Crab meal for Chitin. Yeah - there's chitin in crab, lobster & shrimp shells - that's established. But what about the 96% Calcium Carbonate content? What about the 2.8% elemental Phosphorus content - should be discussed as well? LMAO

As usual with everything in this universe - it's about balance. That is why organic farmers and gardeners always have the best food grown with the least amount of fanfare. Compost and worm castings are the 'nutes' we use and 'we' didn't have to do much. Organisms of all kinds and stripes do our work - we just spread their work on our gardens and the plants draw the nutrition needed to produce fruit, vegetables, seeds, etc.

"Ya don't need Phosphates in your gardens" LD

HTH

J

19. Great LD post, Where is he hiding these days?

Can Richard, or anyone, explain how this process occurs?  I just tried to look up studies verifying this claim, but I can't find anything.  I was under the impression that ionic bonds held Nitrogen in the soil through CEC.

Here is a link to an explanation of the Nitrogen and Phosphorus Cycles in Soils: http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/PDF/FSA-2148.pdf

I can't find anything in there, or anywhere else on the web that supports the claim that phosphates help hold N in the soil and prevent gassing off of ammonia during the process of converting N sources into ammonium and nitrates.