Silicone/glue to seal bong parts

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by 1993F250, Mar 29, 2013.

1. So I'm gonna make a bong tomorrow and I want to use all safe parts.
    My question is, what can I use to seal things together that won't be harmful when heating normally? I'm thinking probably RTV silicone would work well since it is very heat resistant. Any thoughts?

2. Rtv world but the fumes of silicones scare me so if I'm making a temp piece I use candle wax to do the sealing and tape for structural support

3. Well according to my research a high temp silicone has vaporizing/combusting points way above any heat reached with a bong and even if it did combust there's no known toxins released.

4. Do you have a picture of what you're trying to make?

I'm just curious where this seal is going to be in relation to the bowl piece.

5. Ok so I attached a pic for you. But please no flaming for plastic etc. this is just a rough mock up to be sure everything works well and then I'm gonna build one out of all glass and copper piping. The finished idea is to have a glass base of some sort. Two small glass bottles(percolators) stacked on top of each other and copper piping connecting it all. Still working out what to do for a bowl.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

6. I'm not gonna flame you for the plastic, but I am worried that you may be risking some health issues with this setup.

If you could find something metal or glass for the bowl and the downstem, you'd be a lot better off.

As it is right now, my concern is that if you add a bowl onto that plastic stem, you might end up inhaling some plastic fumes which would be not at all healthy.

No flames, just lookin out. :p

7. Nah man I totally agree. I'm not planning on really using this setup. It's just a basic mock up of what I want to do with glass and copper. Makin sure it all works right with cheap shit before I make a good one.

8. I'm thinking I'll just buy a glass bowl that fits snug in whatever piping I end up getting. That way I can remove it instead of having to drill a carb hole in the glass

9. #9 *guest, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

Cool cool. :smoking:

If the reason you're making a homemade piece is because you can't afford a better piece, consider picking up a downstem/bowl combo from a head shop. Should only cost $10-15 and if you use a rubber grommet instead of a permanent seal, you can use the same downstem/bowl for as many homemade pieces as you want. :cool:

I've also seen plain metal tubes that are pointed on the bottom with a bowl on top so you can just stab it into any plastic piece you want, but I've only seen those online so I'm not sure if they're available at any head shops around here.

EDIT: Nevermind, you posted while I was still replying, looks like we're on the same page! :D

10. Lol ya. Nah I can afford whatever I want I just like building one of a kind shit. I get bored easy. Lol. Plus I like the idea of a custom double percolator bong.

But before I put all the work into building a legit one I wanted to make sure what was in my head would actually work ya kno. I'm gonna get a vaporizer in a few mnths.

I just made a one time bowl out of foil and put some cigar tobacco in it to see if this thing would work an it worked pretty well. What is it about a bong that makes It take so much less for the same feeling?