Yo GC, Should I Get This Old School Grommet Bong ? And what about GonG vs Grommets ?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by benchulmanweed, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Found this guy on craigslist, what do people think ?

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/wan/3685381873.html

I like the work, and i do want to add worked tubes to my collection (i have an illy beaker and sg kingstem) but ive never had much experience with grommet bongs. i know the technology is old but does it still work well ? basically i wanna be sure that if i buy this im not gonna be pissed and wish i'd gotten a GonG piece

Oh and can anyone tell what company it is ? JBD, Chong, etc ? just curious

2. It's hard to say what kind of brand that is from the pictures, they are too small. It doesn't seem to have any logos or anything on it. It's more than likely a "no-name" bong or generic brand made in china.

As for rubber grommets vs GonG joints, it isn't the biggest deal in the world. I used grommet bongs for years before recently making the switch, and there's only a few things I noticed "wrong" with the grommet designs.

1) Getting a good seal between the downstem and the bowl can be kind of tricky. Sometimes you need 2 or 3 rubber o-rings, sometimes you need to keep some force pushing down on the bowl. I've also used a little wrap of electrical tape to make a nice snug fit. GonG joints are much more reliable, set the bowl in, and it will be 100% air tight, 100% of the time.

2) The downstems on grommet bongs are harder to remove and clean, which usually leads them to getting built up and nasty. When cleaning a GonG bong, it takes 2 seconds to pop the downstem out, which makes cleaning it LOADS easier.

3) Over time, the rubber grommet does tend to dry out and crack, and will need to be replaced at some point in the bongs life. GonG bongs are entirely glass, so there's no worry of that ever happening.

4) The look an appeal of a GonG bong trumps a rubber grommet bong. It lets the user know that it is a higher end piece. They certainly do look nicer.