Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cbd oil without the high?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ffaded, Mar 27, 2013.

1. sorry for the dumb ? but, is there a specific strain or oil that would give the patient the medical benefits without the "high". i want to medicate someone in my family suffering from cancer but they operate heavy machinery and cant be high. the one time i gave them my oil they were high for 2 days lol, that what i dont want to happen again

2. Harlequinn, Cannatonic and omtirx.

All difficult strains to obtain, however, doable.

3. theres a show on Discovery channel called weed country where a guy makes a CBD oil for a small child with epilepsy.....The child's mother would only allow it if the oil contained very little to no THC. so yes its possible

4. The show is called weed country, and I'm pretty sure it's somewhat of an expensive and difficult process but yes it's possible

5. thats what i said lol............i rewatched the part and he said he used ethanol.I know theres more to the process but its a start

6. Some kind of cbd tincture? He used cannatonic or harlequin didn't he?

7. I don't know if itd work, but you could administer edibles with very slowly growing strength so they would build tolerance and only get a slight buzz while still getting the healing properties of the cannabis.

8. It didn't say ^
    I think thatd defeat the purpose. They'd still have THC in their system and be effected by it.

9. #9 BadKittySmiles, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
    You can always remove/extract the THC and other more volatile cannabinoids, and save it for yourself, to add to your own edibles oils or even blend with another concentrate for smoking (you may benefit from or enjoy it on its own! But it can be a good idea to combine a THC heavy extract with a more well rounded oil, to create better balance between the array of cannabinoids/terpenes/phytochemicals), then . I link a tutorial below. :)

A digital vape is ideal, you can bag and save the earliest vapor to be released (THC has a much lower flash/boiling point than the majority of the major cannabinoids, meaning it turns to vapor at lower temperatures) and while you *can* use your oven to some degree to decrease the THC content, you shouldn't expect it to be nearly as accurate or complete.. the temperature fluctuates much more than in a vape.

You also have the option of making a cold processed 'inactive' oil, to include the complete range of therapeutic medicinal cannabinoids and many terpenes... these oils allow those patients suffering from MS, cancer, Parkinson's, epilepsy, and similar conditions where they may be more sensitive to strong sensations, to take much higher doses, with few to no recreational side effects. Cold oils are considered inactive for recreational users, but they are highly medicinally active. :)

The below photo tutorials will walk you through using a cold extraction, in order to avoid excessive decarboxylation.

By doing so, you can promote bioavailability, while retaining the most 'inactive' cannabinoids, which again are virtually
    just as beneficial
    as their recreationally 'active' counterparts when it comes to: *** anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer/anti-
    mutagenic, analgesic
    and other known medicinal properties! :hello:

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Cannabis Concentrate (Edible & Smokable recipes included...
    similar to Phoenix Tears & BHO, but bioavailable & made with food grade/drinking alcohol)

-Medical Grade Cannabis Concentrate-

[​IMG]

BadKat's CannaPharm: -Linked- Table of Contents & Carboxyl-Intact Cold Oil & Tincture

[​IMG]

And a post on topical/transdermal application....

Medical Transdermal Application Assistance (half-way through post)

And one on the Isolation of Individual Cannabinoids, based on their individual vaporization temperatures:

Simple Method: Isolating & Extracting INDIVIDUAL Cannabinoids... from BadKittySmiles

For a little more info in video format, tune in this 4/20 / 2013 :hello:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkbclJ5wZKk]BadKittySmiles - GrassCity - Cannabis World Summit - Comment to WIN FREE SIGNED BeeLine Hemp Wick! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCwRh3SZD-w]Cannabis World Summit, BadKittySmiles - WIN SIGNED Hemp Wick!! "PreSneak Preview"! Time Lapse - YouTube[/ame]

Good luck, and be sure to read over the topical post to see if it may help in your particular situation.... a well made 'lipid transdermal vehicle' based on coconut oil and lecithin, can penetrate, carry and deliver chemical components up to several inches below the surface of the skin.. transdermal delivery can be more effective and much more economical than vaping, smoking, and in some cases even eating cannabis oil, when treating localized trouble spots! :)

10. #11 BadKittySmiles, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013
    FYI : Juicing provides some terpenes, which do have anti-mutagenic/anti-tumor/ant-cancer properties all their own, but precious few cannabinoids... think of it this way, we need to use solvents to extract the material when making hash or edibles, because the cannabis glandular material is not water soluble, and the active constituents otherwise remain in the plant matter.
    Even when extracted, cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult for the human body to digest and absorb, we use the edible solvents we do not just for extraction, but more importantly, to facilitate the absorption of that material in the same way lipid encapsulation is used to promote the bioavailability of many pharmaceuticals and supplements. It's why RSO works a thousand times better with a little oil added to the blend, and why we still make hash oil using cooking oil or butter, when working with BHO and concentrates.

Juicing alone, is one of the least efficient and most wasteful methods of getting the active components of the cannabis plant into your system, if you have more plant matter than you know what to do with, you don't mind being wasteful, it can work, but only because you need to consume multiple times the active material to get a fraction of the same benefit; you need to eat much, much more than you would, to compensate for what your body wastes. Whatever produces a positive experience is far more than you'd needed, had you spent the time promoting bioavailability.

Hope this helps clear things up! :)

11. google otto marijuana strain

12. Industrial hemp is high in CBD, and since CBD is not illegal a company dixie botanicals sells a cbd tincture or hemp oil supplement.

Not sure how well it works as I have not tried it. It's insanely expensive and I can find cheaper high CBD (granted with some THC) tinctures in my medical state.

13. I just ordered some seeds from attitude seed bank they are high in cbd and very low in thc....rated 1% thc I guess the only way is to either grow your own or have a grower grow it for you

14. #15 addebit, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2013
    Hi everyone.

I have some CBD Nordle weed ready for harvest. Since i can't handle the psychoactive effect of TCH, not even in very small doses, i have choosed a high CBD strain and im  thinking about making inactive oil with it.

Iv been trying to find the instructions provided buy BadKittySmiles but i cant get the link provided called "BadKat's CannaPharm: -Linked- Table of Contents & Carboxyl-Intact Cold Oil & Tincture" to work, just gets me to homepage of grasscity.

Where can i find instructions to make inactive oil?

Thanks

Edit: Correction, the link gets me to the blog section start page of grass city.

If you click on my user name from this post, you can find my blog :) ... When they updated the forum a few months back, all the direct-links to threads were changed and broken, so those of us who had compiled tables of contents for longer forums/blogs lost direct access to everything! :eek:

I haven't repaired my actual blog yet, it's still pretty ugly since the update (it had links as well, and some photos), but the actual tutorial and all the info you need, is still there (and if you check out the edible section another member coincidentally asked a similar question earlier this morning, and I shared the corrected links there!).

Hope this helps! :)

16. #17 addebit, Jul 13, 2013
    Thank you!

BTW, i have a question for you. Have you read this report: http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/en_2013_01_1.pdf

If you haven't, continue doing what you were doing :)

If you have,
    Whats your thoughts about the olive oil extraction method in this report? It seems to get a lot of the terpenes and from what i understand keeps most of the THCA undecarbed. It quite an easy way to extract using this method, yours wasn't that hard either, but requires a little more. Basically, what im trying to ask is what differs the results using your method from  the olive oil method in the report other than the THC in the olive oil has been activated to a very small part. 

17. #18 BadKittySmiles, Jul 13, 2013
    I couldn't get that file to open on my computer, but I'm guessing it just skips the concentration advice in the recipe I linked you. :)

Olive oil and other long-chain oils are not good solvents for cannabis glandular material, comparatively. And beyond extraction, and much more importantly, we also benefit from more absorption and better overall results when medicating with MCT oil. Extraction is just the first step and even that is inferior with long-chain oils, but actually being able to absorb the material you've extracted, is the truly important part... and that's what you'd be missing the most, by using a lesser oil source. :)

The tutorial I've linked you to includes alcohol for the initial extraction because, when evaporating the alcohol as directed, once combined with oil, it allows you to concentrate your dose which can be required where inactive oils can be taken in MUCH higher volume.... a direct-to-oil extraction can require drinking quite a lot of unnecessary oil, when you want to increase your dose!

But if concentrating your dose is not necessary for you (or if you don't mind taking an excessive amount of oil.. much, much more than your body needs to absorb the cannabinoids that it's looking for) then you can certainly do a direct extraction with the MCT oil which, unlike olive oil, actually contains the fatty acid profile you're looking for to encourage complete absorption. :yay:

Remember, even if an extraction is complete, it still doesn't matter what or how much an edible contains if your body can't absorb it!

It's why we see so many threads questioning certified, and even independently or personally lab-tested and 'potent' edibles, which contain far more than the patient needs, but somehow provide little to no relief, or sensation. :eek:

The oil source you choose plays an important role, not only in extraction, but when it comes to absorption.

MCT oils produce stronger and longer lasting sensations due to the additional cannabinoids you're absorbing, to the speed at which they are absorbed, and even due to the direction those fatty acids send the cannabinoids once they enter your system; long-chain fatty acids of olive oil take much longer to absorb and they are absorbed lower and later in the tract, they also require bile salt exposure in order to be absorbed through these later channels, and as such olive oil causes your THC to all but entirely skip the potentiating conversion from D9THC, to 11-OH-THC, that takes place in the liver, and there's less time for absorption to take place before you compact and 'evacuate' the remainder. MCT based oil is absorbed rapidly and passively, and much earlier on in the tract, without even requiring the aid of bile salts.

In short, olive oil and other common LCT oils found in the kitchen, not only take longer to extract, but once consumed, they provide a slower, lower-quality, and less complete absorption.

It's also worth mentioning that, unlike olive oil, coconut-derived MCT oil is the common source for, and contains the very same chemicals used by the pharmaceutical industry to enhance and promote the absorption of different medications, including both medicines that are similar to cannabinoids in that they are not water soluble and are difficult to absorb, and even when the chemicals in question are considered water soluble, and they are already easily absorbed by the body!

That is why we use MCT oil!  :hello: :)

MCT oils are simply that superior, all around, when compared to long-chain oils. :)

Good luck! :wave:

18. #19 addebit, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
    Wow! Iv been hogging the net for months searching for info on the best way to use cannabis for my condition and iv been reading hundreds of different recipes and hundred of different opinions on what/how/when to use. Im sure lots of info iv been  reading has been good but your post just dropped the bomb! This is the kind of info you want when you are a newbie like me. Detailed info on how it works and WHY. 

Like i said i  have trouble with the THC. Iv tried smoking and eating decarbed THC-rich weed. It not just working. I have a Spinal Cord Injury and suffers from neuropathic pain(phantom pain) and i have IBS, thats the main reason for me to try  cannabis since i have tried EVERY pharmaceutical out there.

Now, i have a problems. In my country u can't buy pure/food grade 90+% alcohol without some kind of license. :( Everything on the market is denatured alcohol types.

Since i got out of topic a bit. Have you checked out: http://dixiebotanicals.com