How To Determine Your Plants Preferred Nutrient Strength

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by GoldGrower, Mar 27, 2013.

1. #141 GoldGrower, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015

It sounds like your ppm is just too high. I would drop it to 500 and see what happens. Are you by any chance half way through flowering? 

Edit,

Sorry I just re read your post. It sounds like your ppm is stable around 590. You fixed your own problem. changing lights may effect the ratio the plants take up, but it won't harm them. I think hotter temperatures may cause the plants to draw up more water with their nutes, but I can't confirm that yet 

2. #142 GoldGrower, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015

I don't see how correcting your ppm and pH could be called a "colossal fuck up" or described as "chasing your tail". And what problems does it cause exactly ? I don't experience any of these.

If I didn't adjust my ppm and pH my plants would grow very slowly and eventually most likely show sickness and die. If you don't need to adjust your ppm and pH then you are extremely lucky. My pH without adjustment will be about 7 and my plants can't handle that.

You are certainly not better off just giving it tap water, that makes no sense at all 

Edit,

I recommend people check every day so they can home in on the correct ppm, once they have it stable then yeah they can leave it for a week if they want, it won't go far out. But to find that perfect figure to begin with you are best to do it as soon as possible so every day is important. It doesn't matter how big your system is, you are still only checking that one body of water, it doesn't take any more effort compared to a small system

3. Once I put the led back in ppm started to rise, so i was wondering whether or not the led would cause them to drink more water therefore raising the ppm. Today ppmrose from 600 to 653 in about 8 hrs. Heres a few pics. I plan on getting into a larger system or buckets asap, but im dealing with a lack or space and having to keep wife happy.She doesnt mind but when i ordered a tent and it took up a quarter of the room lol. Anywho the plan is for these babies to go into a 20 gallon system but Im not trying to kill them before I get it done.

Attached Files:

4. No Im still vegging waiting on the completion of a larger custom box before i flower. Im going to take out a gallon of water and add empty R/O water. This is currently 4 Super Skunk in 6.5 gallon reservoir. Moving soon into 20 gallon reservoir.

Checking it every day and 'fucking with it' are two different things. To get a system dialed in the data is very helpful to flatten the learning curve a bit instead of have it go into a circular pattern.

IMO (and in my experience) if the pH or PPM is shifting any significant amount in a short period of time, it should be monitored every day to keep track of what is going on while making what ever changes that work to keep it more stable.

Just one example in my case, my veg res pH used to shift on me more than my flowering res pH, even when I had the PPM staying fairly stable. At that time I was using GH 3 part at the 3-2-1 ration (3 parts grow 2 micro and 1 bloom). As a test I changed to 1-1-1 ratio at about the same strength. My pH became stable (as well as PPM) and plant vigor / growth rate improved.

Strength wise, it sounds like you are getting close at around 600. The balance of the nutrients is as big a part as the strength though. I don't know anything about your recipe, but some people like to do things like use the 'lucas formula' for veg with no regard to what balance works best for their plants just because someone said 'use the lucas formula'.

7. #147 greenhousedude, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015
    I'm pretty sure any hotter temps will cause more water uptake with little to no change in nutrient uptake, you end up needing to replenish the water more often while not drastically changing nutes. But with leds I can't imagine he's getting any more then 15-20 degree increases.

8. So think about calibration of you EC,TDS...... The calibration solution gives you a number at a certain temp. If you not at the temp of the cal. Solution your going to be off a tad or more. Max

9. #149 Grefen, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
    Day 20 of flowering and my pH steadily drops to 5.4. I'm noticing brown spotted leaves as a result. My PPM's are also dropping to around 800-850. I use pH up to get my 18gal DWC Rez to 6.0 and within 24hrs it's back to 5.4 I've added nutes coupled with pH up to get my Rez back to 5.8-6.0 and PPM at 1100 and within 24hrs it's right back to 5.4 pH and 800-850 ppm. What am I missing?

10. #150 GoldGrower, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015

Those are very odd numbers, are you sure? If you are then it suggests that 1100 is way too weak and the plants must be taking up a solution of around 1400 I guess. That is way stronger than anything I have experienced. Are you sure you are measuring in ppm and not us/cm perhaps? 

11. Gg can you help me please ! I am currently growing dwc. Under a 400 watt hps/ by hortilux/ enhanced spectrum/. Air cooled hood. One. 175 gph air pump abd air stone. And another 150 or so gph in the res. Air temps are 76 degrees rh is 45 percent res temps are 64 to 65 degrees. Im using advanced nutrients grow and bloom a and b voodoo juice b52 sensizyme overdrive big bud budcandy . thats my line-up. My tds is 206 using grow a and b voodoo juice and b 52 at a quarter strength recommend dose. Ph was set at 5.8 5.6 let it drift to 6.2 ish. All of a sudden one obe recently its leaves started to sag midle leaves . and the root looks fine accept i see like a blackish color on them in 2 spots. Got scared and emptied res boiled air stones and lines and bucket cleaned them then put peroxide on them and rensed thoroughly. Assembled my system again with only ph'ed water let it sit for 24 hours. Emptied bucket again and added water with 3 percent peroxide to 3 gallons of water in my res . a total of 12 ml for the whole three gallons. Let it sit for 24 hours and emptied it out rensed and added new water and nutrients at quarter strength and ph'ed water to 5.8. Question is what is the blackish spots and why are leaves drooping all of a sudden.. Also its purple kush feminized i was recently told numerous diagnosis on this as far as nute lockout to mg deficient to pots being not full enough! So now its back in phed water and nutes to 280 16 days since roots hit water
    Also i seen possible too much water ! I did over water the otger day

Attached Files:

12. Yea I thought it would be too high too. I kept adding water and going light on the nutes whenever I topped off for just that reason. Either way I up'd the PPM's to 1400 and dialed the pH back in. This morning the pH was a picture perfect 5.8. Can't thank you enough man.

13. How do you guys measure ppm?

Do you only take the measurement for nutes only? eg. general hydro trio.

Or do you measure everything? Including water ppm and other things I put into my resvoir?

14. My tap water is consistently at a starting point of around 30. I mix my recipe and take an initial reading just to get a ballpark idea. 24hrs later I take another reading after everything has settled and make whatever changes are needed. Same applies to pH. I like to take my measurements daily in case something gets out of balance I can make quick fixes.

This ^^^

When you have problems you have to simplify to stand any chance of figuring out the problem.

To start with put all your boosters on a shelf out of the way and forget about them for a while, none are needed so they can easily be ruled out just by not using them.

Just use a complete and balanced nutrient line. I'm assuming "advanced nutrients grow a+b" is all you need? I have never used it but it sounds like a complete program. 

Add the nutes to the water until you have a total ppm of about 200. Then adjust the pH to around 5.8 and wait 24 hours. Check the ppm again and see if it's more or less than the previous figure of about 200.

Ok on the the air. Just to clarify, you have 2x air pumps? 1x 175gph and 1x 150gph? 
    That's 325gph combined which is about 20 litres per minute. How big is the res? 

Fill the res up to the net pot and stop adding peroxide and stop emptying it out, and definitely stop giving the plant empty water, it can't grow in that as it need nutes.

Hope this helps. I think your problem is most likely the nutrients being completely out of balance due to all the magic potions you are putting in to the solution

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thank you my res is 3 gallons

18. Sooo appreciated my friend:)

That's plenty of air then mate, that's enough air for about 10 gallons in my opinion

I hope it bounces back man

20. Gg all is well brother - f i r me that is- new growth looks great already! Ppms was set to 265 and droped in 24 hours to 253-