How To Determine Your Plants Preferred Nutrient Strength

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by GoldGrower, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Thanks ELRooster,I guess the only way I am gong to find out for sure is to get my rez temp back to 68F ans start over....This should be interetsing lmao......

2. I do not believe that when ec goes up you are overfeeding because mine will rise about .3 ec everyday and i have no sign of nute burn. I believe when the ph starts dropping is when you are overfeeding and ph going up is when they need more feed. Just my .02

• Like Like x 1
  3. Im having similar rez fluctuations, my plants are still in recover right now I pushed them pretty hard with the nutes I drained and flushed then added nutes. My first readings on Monday were Temp 68, PPM 1050, PH 5.8 and ms/cm 1.44. Tuesday readings were Temp 68, PPM 879, PH 5.9 and ms/cm 1.21. Wednesday readings are Temp 68, PPM 961, PH 5.9 and ms/cm 1.32. So I'm going to drain and fill again tomorrow and continue to do so every 3 days until I can get things to stabalize. I keep a log of all my readings and drain/flush dates.

4. I dont go so far as to write every reading down I write down my PPm"S when I do a newt change so I dont forget when I check the next day,and I will write them down if I get an abnormal reading so I can start compairing fron one to the next,if I get normal readings I dont write them down,I have a calander that I have all the dates of my newt changes, when I planted when I expet to flip and things like that,I also take pictures of my girls every 5 or 6 days,I see my plants all the time and sometimes I cant tell how much they have grown,like if they grow an inch or so it is sometimes hard to tell so I will compair a picture I took a few days ago to one I took today and I can see not just how much taller they got but also how much they branched out or if some of the under growth got better...

5. loving the flood and drain setup, I'm currently putting together a similar system, but it's slow going at the moment as I have to built a large closet first

6. what part do you disagree with exactly?

if the plant uses more water than nutrients then the remaining concentration will rise. I don't see any logical argument against this, please explain

I never said going a little over will give you nute burn. I just said a method to find out what your plants prefer. once you have found out that figure its up to you what you do with it

PH will fluctuate depending on what nutrient formula you use compared with your plant's needs. some elements will get used up at a faster rate than others, this will then cause a shift in the PH balance.

I have no problem with you disagreeing with me but please give explanations of proof or reason when doing so

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1

7. temperature does effect EC value, most (if not all) meters are calibrated at 25'c as standard. you can still measure at other temps but it's best to always measure at the same temperature

• Like Like x 1

8. Thanks brother,I will wait till my rez tamp gets back to 68f and start over,and in you opinion is 1300 PPM'S seem a bit high to you?

9. I'm more of an EC man myself, do you know what that is in EC? how big are the plants?

10. #30 GoldGrower, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
    for just some sort of reference this particular plant's EC is currently at about 0.85 and dropping pretty rapidly. I would guess it's prefered strength is about 1.10 at this point

[​IMG]

11. I will have to do some converting,I will get back to you..

12. I don't know your ppm meter's brand so have a look at this

[​IMG]

13. Just go easy with nutes, they are very powerful, and never go by their feeding schedule... A little goes a long way.

14. the brand of my meter is not on that chart, my meter is made by HM digital,I am having a hard time figuring out the exact numbers......I included a picture of the meter.sorry it's a little out of focus..

Attached Files:

• 001r.JPG
      001r.JPG
      File size:
      506.1 KB
      Views:
  15. I have the Hanna 9813-6n but at 1.44 mine reads 1050 PPM, maybe I should check my calibration.

16. #36 jb1128, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
    I am also starting to have cooling issues in my rez,I cant get the temp down past 69.5F ( I know not that bad) (yet),I have an idea for a home made cooler that should work ,it's an idea I got off the net researching home made coolers, but with an improvement,if it works I will share it with everyone!!!!!

17. I just freeze 2liter or gallon containers and just add one in rez if needed but I dont usually have temp issues.

18. Ice packs and jugs will work for the time being,but when June July rolls around the outside temps can go over 95F plus, and humidity 100% I will need more ice jugs than my chest freezer can hold,so I am def going to need some kid of cooling system..

19. I didnt realize the humidity was so high in the New York area.

20. Just a random question. What is best to use to clean the bucket or totes that the nutes were in? What gets the salt buildup off the sides, but also what won't harm the plants the next time. Not sure if bleach is alright. I figure it would be as long as it's all out afterwards.