Is it possible to weld glass?

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Spanish, Mar 27, 2013.

1. #21 Spanish, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013
    So first step: Choose the proper glass pieces
    [​IMG]
    then one like the jar to make a perc.

2. Heat doesnt transfer through glass like metal. Look at those glass blower videos, theyre holding the glass bare handed only a few inches from the torch.

3. You're giving the glass way too much credit. Have you ever microwaved glass for a little too long and set it on a cool counter, causing it to explode? The glass you are trying to combine is weak and thin, and will fall apart/crack/explode LONG before you ever join it together.

That said, I admire your determination, please do it anyway and prove me wrong

4. So what kind of glass should I use? Borosylicate? I don't know much about glass, I'm going to read these wikis too, but if the oxybutane torch I'm gonna use was mine, it would be done and lots of tests too, haha
    :bongin:

5. Boro is what they use for headie pipes!!!!

Be VERY careful, get in touch with a professional blower and ask if he can teach you a bit and you'll make pipes for him for free to pay off the lessons.

6. I don' t want to blow, I want a simple way to join two pieces made of the same glass, for example pyrex or even bad quality glass, and of course being careful and doing it right. Bad quality glass is easier or harder to melt than pyrex or borosylicate (If its stabe, explodes easily...)?
    But I would love to blow my own bongs, haha
    Thanks for the help :bongin:

7. #28 Spanish, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
    What would happen if you don't preheat the glass

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc3VNu7RwsA]HidrogenPower11 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSNntZyk2NU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSNntZyk2NU[/ame]

But i think this videos prove it's possible. Hard to do, but possible. Better to use boro, but I still want to try it with bad quality glass.

8. wear safety goggles man better safe than sorry. you don't want that glass exploding in your eyes.

9. Yes, safety is basic while working with glass. The guy in the 1st video looks crazy :laughing:
    Another cool video showing it.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DszWhHG49c]Glass Blowing Tutorial. How to fix a broken glass pipe. - YouTube[/ame]
    Please, post any info you have, let's make this thread useful to poor bongsmokers.
    :bongin:

10. I like this thread, ive been wondering this about glass for a long time i wanna "fuse" two alcohol bottles together and make a sick ass all glass bong id even like to be able to fuse in the down stem instead of using a rubber grommet. Once i can afford a torch im defiantly gunna have to give it a try. Glass blowing is gunna be my next step in the game of life.

Heres a pic of a bottle bong i fused together in the middle wit epoxy.. It works good but it would just look way more professional if i could fuse the glass next time.

I give you props for your idea bro that be sick if you could make it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

11. And i think if you had a kiln you would defiantly have a better chance of the glass not cracking. Thats what ive been reading alot of places.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Simply, no. Glass blowers only heat up the glass to about 600 degrees Celsius, fairly slowly (feel free to correct that. That was info on google) where a welder produces anywhere between 3000 to 20,000 degrees Celsius extremely fast. Meaning it will crack that glass like its nothing.

Welders were never intended for use with glass, and like my dad says "always use the right tool for the job". Your best bet would be glass blowing with the proper equipment and glass and if you don't want to go down that path I strongly recommend joining those two pieces with selleys araldite epoxy resin. I made a glass display case for my ex once and used araldite. Second best thing to join glass behind blowing.

That being said, if you want to try it, go ahead. But be careful because I once saw a guy weld his thumb off. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Is this something that can be repaired????

1404767682881.jpg

14. you might try some apoxy. its like glue but indestructable. i know that some is heat resistant up to 2000*. be sure to use tape to mask off the areas you dont want the apoxy to get onto. kind of like painting in a way.