Anyone tried lighting with a magnifying glass?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Bbiscuit, Mar 24, 2013.

1. I've read/heard a few things about people using a magnifying glass to center sunlight on their bowl to light it. So I tried it earlier and some smoke came off but i was inhaling and didnt really exhale any smoke, but when i looked it had just turned a whitish gray.

do i need a stronger magnifying glass or something? has anyone tried it? i've heard people say it works haha

2. With enough heat it'll burn. But fuck after the first few i'd probably end up lighting my pants on fire.

3. Solar hits. Something everyone needs to try once. Yeah I've done it and it works. Make the little ray of light that comes through the magnifying glass as small as possible until its just a tiny dot and then hold that on a small corner portion of your bowl.

4. fresnel lense will do the trick.

5. does it matter how strong the magnifying glass is? cause i mean my friend and i decided to try it on a whim when we were at the dollar store and bought a random bug kit with a magnifying glass...so im guessing it wasnt that strong xD

6. takes too long and isn't as exciting as it sounds.

use gunpowder instead

7. Idk a decent sized plastic fresnel lense can set a 2x4 in flames in about 20seconds. Starts smoking instantly.

8. Lmao....stone age vaporizer....

Helps to be close to the equator....
    Worked well in Fla in summer many years ago when i was a teen just playing round with the idea....
    Don't know that you get enough sun unless summer and not too far from equator....

9. Nice to know!

10. im in california and its basically summer weather here, slightly less hot but plenty of sun!

11. I got nothing but experience to back up my statement about the sun...
    i know in Fla the sun effects everything way more than in ny or ak....? So guessing it latitudes may be a factor? Maybe not so much....?

12. I love it, it works well

13. yeah i have no idea either o.o idk, im thinking i either just didnt wait long enough or i have a shit magnifying glass. probably the latter. i mean it was in a kid's bug exploration kit at the dollar tree xD

14. With a Magnifying Glass all you taste is BUD! It don't matter whether it be summer or winter, as long as I have sunlight, I'll torch my bud with the mag.