Why do people smoke cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by INTP, Mar 23, 2013.

1. I had this moment the other day where this old man just started talking to me in seven eleven and i like conversing in general espically with older people and so he goes on to tell me that today is his last day he has to go to the hospital and that he just beat cancer, so we each grab our coffee, he says thanks for listening i say good luck, get to the counter, as soon as i tell her i want a pack i can FEEL the dudes eyes just burning into the back of my head.

That was like 2 or 3 days ago and i'm probably going to quit because of it, i felt ashamed of myself during and after and still do whenever i think about it.

I even feel bad posting this since it's like branding #firstworldproblems but i thought i would share anyways.

2. [quote name='"Art Vandalay"']I had this moment the other day where this old man just started talking to me in seven eleven and i like conversing in general espically with older people and so he goes on to tell me that today is his last day he has to go to the hospital and that he just beat cancer, so we each grab our coffee, he says thanks for listening i say good luck, get to the counter, as soon as i tell her i want a pack i can FEEL the dudes eyes just burning into the back of my head.

That was like 2 or 3 days ago and i'm probably going to quit because of it, i felt ashamed of myself during and after and still do whenever i think about it.

I even feel bad posting this since it's like branding #firstworldproblems but i thought i would share anyways.[/quote]

Do you feel bad eating fast food in front of people with health problems relates to obesity?

People need to start minding their own business. Just because other people have cancer and may not approve of my decision to smoke doesnt give them the right to hassle me about it. I'm not bothering anyone, and most of the time when I smoke I'm not affecting anyone else. I wonder how much it'd hurt if they fell off that high horse of theirs.

3. I've smoked a cigarette only because I had consumed copious amounts of alcohol and my buddy told me a cig would help my dizziness. I didn't feel shit, and I still puked that night. I also puffed on an e-cig 4 or 5 times. I guess my only other experience was in 11th grade when everyone forget his lighter, so we had to use a match to light my buddy's girlfriend's cig to light the bud in the bowl.

Cigarettes are horrible though. I'm not on any high horse or looking down on smokers, but the facts speak for themselves. I concede that my grandfather smoked since he was 16, and he's 80-something and still going on strong, but tell that to the other 5 million people who die every year from cigarettes. Sure I could enjoy a 15 minute buzz and still live a long life, but why even risk it?

Here's what I DON'T get: why not smoke e-cigs??? Does the extra 300 carcinogens in a cigarette give you a way better buzz or something?

4. I think people enjoy the actual act of smoking, and that's what they're used to. E-cigs are cool but they're more of a novelty, they're too new. Maybe the e-cig will catch on eventually but for now I think people just prefer or are used to smoking.

5. I feel you, my friend recently stopped buying cigs because he's low on money. Anytime I hang with him he mentions how he has a headache due to the cravings. It's just not worth it.