Microbes organic ramblings! VERT/SIP

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by BulbaStoned, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Hello GC

So I figured I should throw together a journal and maybe try to finally keep up with it! Let's see how that goes HA

Anyways let's talk set-up, couple changes but pretty much the same.

14x12 room
    4x4x7 AgroMax Tent for Flower - Running 600watt Lumatek Dim-able ballast
    Hortilux Eye Super HPS bulb.
    165CFM Grow Bright (see: Cheap Crap!) inline wrapped in duct insulation to keep the noise down.

Veg is currently small since my clones haven't rooted yet, and is being handled by a Sunleaves 93watt HOt5 2ft 4bulb fixture.

I currently am messing around with rebuilding some t8 fixtures to house extra bulbs and maybe override the ballast. Hoping to end with 2x 8-10 bulb fixtures. I have to use fluro and watch my wattage since my place has so much on one breaker!

Now for the fun stuff, the soil.

Base;

Peat Moss 1cf
    Hudson Valley Organic Garden Compost (see: Crap) 2cf

Aeration; Total 2cf
    Rice Hulls
    Verm
    Chunky / Regular Perlite

Amendments; @ 1cup/cf
    Espoma Plant Tone
    Espoma Bio Tone
    Lime
    Gypsum

@ 2cups/cf
    Kelp Meal
    Alfalfa Meal
    Crab Shell Meal
    Seed Meals (Flax-Chia-Barley)
    Azomite
    Granite dust

Extra: 1cup Wheat Bran - 1cup Native Clay - 1cup Ground Organic Rice

So this mix sucks basically. I am not happy with my compost at all, and wasn't able to source castings besides Wiggle Worm this winter. It's going to hold me over for veg, but with the new vert setup I am looking for "stall" free runs!

New mix is currently in the works to transplant into the 5gal SIPs for flower.

CoM Lobster Compost 1cf
    CoM Castings 2cf
    CoM Quoddy Compost 1cf
    Peat/Coir Mix 1cf

Aeration
    Pumice
    Napa 8822
    Verm
    Rice/Barley hulls

Same amendments, except I will be adding some Bentonite and Mg-mica clays in varying amounts per container.

Also going to try the Homemade Cow Manure (LINK NEEDED!!) that I am pretty sure SeanDawg posted up. Worm bin in the mix once I contact a new local (see: FREE) manure source.

Ok time for strains. 'Tude order, no issues.
    Green House Seeds - Exodus Cheese / The Church
    Bomb Seeds - Berry Bomb
    Dutch Passion - Strawberry Cough
    Barneys Farm - Sweet Tooth

2x Bag Seed Randoms - 1 VERY Sativa 1 VERY Indica should be fun to see how it plays out.

These were all started in Rapid Rooters (Wood Pulp) cubes, then transplanted into 1gal Smart Pots and placed in Noobs Perlite Wicking Trays.

Now for some pictures, enjoy and hope to see some regulars stop by!

Micr0bes

Attached Files:

2. DL heres some recent pictures of the Strawberry Cough. I didn't choice too, but I am "Main Lining" her and ended up with 4 similar thickness side growths that I trained as such. Using "S" hooks with pretty good results, it lessens the amount of time I need to spend near my light!

Last picture is after a leaf tuck.

Attached Files:

3. Subbed bro Ive always wanted to see that strawberry cough out

4. :wave: Looking Green ;):smoke:

5. Thanks man glad to have you around. Skunk said some very good things about the Cough as well, suppose to be a very, very strong strain so lets hope I hit the right phenom.

Hey man thanks for dropping by. They are greening back up now after I kind of (g)raped then with too much Alfalfa.

:hello:

6. Fucking beautiful ME!
    Now that I'm in a world with massive knowledge im super juiced....I am the rookie that copy and paste's every link posted by a G, (GURU) just in case you didnt know so post all links you think I should read..Be specific if i should read it more than twice...lol...#1 has gotten a feel for me already..love that guy by the way....I started a memo page just for him, jerry, ironhead, and now you mister..got sone good stuff from a few good growers, and still adding...
    So freaking glad I'm finally here...question though, did you just add that link in your sig or was i stupid high last night?...Hopefully you just added it, cause im sure i looked like an ass in #1's world talking bout I couldn't find you...rotflmao...still laughing bout that Post...Anyway super subb'd in....EVERYDAY!!!
    MUAH....TYPE YOU LATER...

7. haha Glad to see you so happy over a thread!

Besides the gardening books in my sig, THIS LINK to my old journal and all the stickies the best way to learn is to lurk the shit out of the organic grow journals.

Here's some threads that aren't a sticky but should be;

Botanicals
    Make Your Own EM
    Rock Dust Local (Great website!)
    Microbe Organics
    Soil and Health library

EDIT: And no I didn't have the link before lol I just put it in once I started the journal.
    Check out Skunks journal shes posting a shit done of almost harvested Cough right now and it's looking amazing.

Also if you use torrents download some Permaculture packs for some good reading.

8. Hey Sooo,

I'm here. I'm slow, but I'm here. :D

See ya...

9. Hey I made it!

I hope that Hortilux is made for digi ballasts! Haha looks good dude!:metal:

10. #10 BulbaStoned, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
    Alright well I just threw some SIPs together using the old buckets from the first time around. Only issue was the holes.... I used 8 different wicks last time lol So I have 8 different size holes. Problem? Pssshhh I just inserted a 3gal Smart Pot and cut slits for my 3inch net pot to sit.

Here's some pictures, using perlite as my wick this time. I am sure the roots will grow through this pretty easy so I might try adding a small piece of Smartie to block the top.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMz7WNOj5Rg[/ame]

Attached Files:

11. Looks good bro! Now, if you just cut holes in the sides of your bucket down where the fabric pot is, the plant can use the smart pot for its true benefit.. root aeration and pruning. I built a few of these myself.. called em Smart Sippas. I'm doing a comparison grow at work with a 5 gal hard pot, 5 gal Smart pot, and my 5 gal smart sippa.

So far they all have 1 flower, the smart sippa's is the biggest! But of course I'm biased.;)

12. Cough 2yrs ago Cough ;) Been there done that, I might try it again with a No-Till setup but besides that I didn't find any real benefits.

I'd love to see the results from that grow, what variables are you accounting for? Stem thickness? Height? Yield?

:p wake n bake :eek:

13. [quote name='"Microbes n Me"']

Cough 2yrs ago Cough ;) Been there done that, I might try it again with a No-Till setup but besides that I didn't find any real benefits.

I'd love to see the results from that grow, what variables are you accounting for? Stem thickness? Height? Yield?

:p wake n bake :eek:[/quote]

I just put up some pictures of them in my thread. I'm really just looking for best overall growth and yield... I really think the benefit of having the smart pot be able to breathe through the sides will really come into play later on down the road when it's still producing fruit and the hard pot stalls out from root circling.. Add in the fact that it's got a huge res (made mine about 2.5 gallons) and it beats the smart pot hands down as well.

Cool stuff.. Thanks for the invention! :poke:;)

14. Good morning HEAD! ;-)
    How the bitches this great SAT? U too, how are you today?

15. So ME hows it?

16. Mornin! :smoking:

Doin great today!:wave:

Hope you are too Haggard!:bongin:

17. #17 dlsmokes, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
    Me wassup?
    Had some questions....
    I noticed this brown spot, this morning. On the lower leaf, i also noticed that the Cotyledons were also dying back. My question is do y u know why ky plants do this. No matter the soil, the nutes, no nutes, great soil...it still does it. The only way i have been able to avoid this is to repot. What do you think it is?

18. Forgot the picture, my bad..

Attached Files:

19. The word is Necrosis I believe, here's it defined.

It could be bad or a good thing, if the plant isn't getting full use out of that leaf it will kill it off and use it's energy for other growth.

But it could also be a sign of pH and other problems, I would ask some of the higher up Guru's but my advice would be to LITFA (Leave it the fuck alone) and let the plant run it's course.

If your soil mix is right then it could just be the plant adjusting to mature life.

HaGGarD

20. Also how are you watering her? And how often? Soggy soil can cause yellowing almost overnight!