Science teacher questions students faith. Interesting result

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by jduce2412, Mar 20, 2013.

1. I always noticed that. Surely there's a big difference in having faith that a person has a brain or faith that my car brakes will work if I hit them, compared with faith in some kind of God.

They are certainly not the same type of faith.

2. i mean I was trying to have an open discussion about the collusion of faith and science, but if we want to turn this into an atheist circlejerk..

3. The message of the story seems to be: "If you believe in brains, you should believe in God." It doesn't really make sense though. It's like saying, "If you believe in brains, you should believe in astrology."

Maybe you think the message is good, but I see the message as faulty and dishonest.

4. Honestly I believe the message to be quite clearly people use faith to explain that which they find incomprenhensible. nothing more nothing less.

5. It's already been acknowledged that science and faith are not incompatible. It only seems to be the Fundamentalists who think science and faith are incompatible.

Not much more to say about it. Fundamentalists aren't gonna change their minds. if they did, their faith would come crashing down and they don't want that.

6. What do you think is incomprehensible?

7. what is incomprehensible to me? honestly, and i am not trying to be a dumbass here, i'm just honestly, frankly responding to your question. I want you to tell me how I can teleport from one part of the earth to another in a second. (outside of a video game)

(I've never seen it done. Have you? Can it be done? Probably not. Can I prove that, no.)

8. Teleporting? I heard that according to quantum physics, it's possible for something to disappear and reappear somewhere else. Obviously, it's a very small microscopic % of a chance, but they claim it could theoretically happen. For example, it's possible that your cell phone can disappear from your desk and reappear somewhere else in the universe.

If it's true, then great. if not, then great. I'm not sure where you are going with this but this is fun.

9. I think the story gives faulty representations of beliefs. if someone tells me they had a tuna sandwich for lunch, I would believe them. it doesn't mean it's true because they could be lying. Yet, I would still believe they had a tuna sandwich. But, it's a reasonable belief because we know people eat tuna sandwiches.

Now, if someone said that they were abducted by aliens and given an anal probe, I would need more evidence. I wouldn't simply just take their word for it like I would with the tuna sandwich.

10. if christians agree with this , then they will have to admit that God isn't omnipresent. Since the absence of good is bad, which is Satan. How is god everything good , if he is omnipresent , yet there are entities with with the absence of good? Is good measurable? Is there like some kind of density of God in an area?

Putting that argument aside he just contradicted himself , since if he's going to say shit like cold and darkness doesn't exist , then he would also have to conclude that satan does not exist , yet he acknowledged Satan's existence.

11. Interesting point.

If darkness doesn't exist, why are some people afraid of the dark?

Would it be reasonable to say, "Why are you afraid of something that doesn't exist?" :confused:

12. Can I ask you a question? What would be worse than being blind?

13. Major depression.

14. I think it would be to have no vision.

15. So deep despair and helplessness ,frustration and a sense of loss is better than blindness?

16. I don't know. Lung cancer? A stroke? Starvation?

17. What are some other things that you think will forever be a mystery? One example you gave was "teleporting" but you didn't explain much about that.

Maybe another "forever mystery" will be time travel?

Don't worry. Mars is close by. We'll just build houses there.:p

18. Evolutionary response from a predisposition from ancestors to become weary of nightfall, for danger lurks, where we cannot see.

19. I've seen the same story before where after asking about cold and darkness and explaining they don't exist the student asks...

"Does evil exist?"

At this point the professor is speechless. The student says...

"Evil does not exist. Evil is simply the lack of God."

20. Just, dropping this here.

2012-09-11_21-25-29.png