It it possible to get a half decent car for like 1k?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by ChiefnKeef, Mar 13, 2013.

1. I wouldnt ever buy a dodge neon, ever...

2. Old toyota tercel, geo metro even, ford tempo even haha...

Would be lucky ta find an 80's honda accord for $1000 ish, most people try and get more but get real... when ya get down to it they $500 cars... toyota is a big name lots of hype but I wouldn't deem it impossible to find a good runing corolla or something for 1000.

3. #23 TCUB, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
    I got my jeep for $800 and I would say Its 3/4 decent haha

My thoughts on Craigslist:

For cheap you will get non functioning ac and rust

Your best bet is

https://www.iaai.com/

If you have a friend who's a (car)dealer or scrapper then you can bid on that site.Otherwise police auctions or craigslist will be your only source.

Please get a manual trans though,any car for that price will be high mileage and will most likely have burnt trans fluid.

Edit: Dude really?triple post? Theres an edit button for a reason

4. Fn A Cotton listen to this guy about the manual trans for christ sake!!

5. It is possible but you have to have luck to get one that runs decent. I was able to pick up a 90 Civic sedan for $700 and drove it home. However the paint was shit and the motor smoked like a diesel. I got lucky and the smoke ended up being a missing gasket that caused the car to run rich. It took me over a year to find a running car for that cheap, just search and make sure to inspect the car well.

6. I just bought a 1999 mitsubishi 3000 gt for 1k, all black perfect outside, seats a bit ripped but nothing major runs great, 80k miles

7. I've made a point to never spend more then a grand, and have only failed to do so twice. It's possible.

Sure many were complete pieces of shit but many also lasted for years. Tow yard auctions were a favorite of mine for a while but can be tricky. Judging people is wrong yeah yeah but judge the seller and their other belongings just as much as you check the car over. If you meet them at their house, how well is it, their yard and/or other vehicles maintained? One thing in your favor is a lot of people use taxes to upgrade vehicles and sell off the one they're just tired of looking at.

8. I'm trying to sell my 95 civic in ok shape for like 1300 with deck, speakers, and custom fiberglass 700$ sub box.

She's not pretty, but she got me everywhere with only very minor problems for 3 and a half years.

So yeah, it's possible if you take your time and look and look and look

9. OP, if you're in Orlando, you will get a car that is in better mechanical condition if the A\C doesn't work. It's a huge turn off to most people, and you can pick up a decent runner for under a grand easily....main thing is to put out a lot of feelers, ask friends if they know anyone that is selling, usually when you go this route you will be able to get info on how the car runs....If you don't mind a truck try to find an early 90s Nissan...they are bulletproof, might have to do the timing chain, but they run forever...good luck..

10. Seems like grasscity knows what's up with the cheap cars! :D

Makes me happy to see other people that know you can get a good vehicle cheap.

11. yeah man i used to have a 96 corolla got it for $550 the only thing though its A to B connection was fucked up so i had to shift to low to get it going, then shift back to drive. aside from that it was perfectly fine.

12. it is, but not gonna get many options and not going to be a long runner probably....

i am looking to get a beater car for about 1K just to learn manual, but it might just be better to get a better car, learn manual on it and if i fuck the clutch, get it fixed.

13. I don't know if they're what you'd call "half decent," but you could easily pick up a Geo for $750.

14. This is what you get for 12 grand

09 VW rabbit aka golf with bigger motor
    Just got it last week

image-969628226.jpg

15. My $800 jeep will outlast that while being cheaper to maintain and having bigger aftermarket support and cheaper parts.

16. Took me all of about a day to learn standard, and a week to master.

Get someone who knows how to do it to give you a quick tutorial, its really not difficult at all. No real reason you should burn the clutch out unless you CONSTANTLY smash gears or throw it in reverse while going 55 hahaha.

17. I know this comment is ancient but very true! With my current car, my dad bought it for $1200 about 5 years ago and the AC worked, but come to find out the radiator and engine was fucked.

18. Look at late 80's mini trucks in standard. Usually cheap on everything(insurance, fuel--) Always cheap, usually rusty 

19. I bought a 94 Toyota Camry off the side of the road, they wanted $1400 but I got it for $1000 and it came with 4 good studded snow tires (important for New England drivers), in great condition and the AC works too..lol. Bought it in April of last year and now I think I have an emotional attachment to it...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

20. I've never paid more than a grand for any of my cars... sometimes I've doubled the purchasing price fixing stuff but I'm particular about what I drive, cheap, and mechanically inclined.