Illinois Medical Cannabis Passes Committee

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by mos619, Mar 7, 2013.

1. I'm on it a soon as I get to my computer. It's a pain from this phone.

2. Nothing against you, but that's the problem. If we want to get this passed people need to be informed. There's an Illinois NORML FB page that posts regular updates, and you can go to MPP and sign up for email updates. If all of Illinois makes some noise, we can pass this this year!

3. I sent the email to my congressman and senator, I am really optimistic that this will pass and it's about damn time. IL is one of the most 'liberal' states, it should be legalized by now tbh.

But what I don't like about the bill is that it will be one of the strictest in the country, and probably only very few illnesses will be accepted. Also I don't like the 7% per oz tax. But I guess we have to start somewhere right? It's definately a move in the right direction.

4. Just got home from work and emailed those bastards. Let some convoluted version of freedom ring!!!

5. In the burbs, hopefully this passes. I will 100% definitely get my med the day this passes. 20$ a g, 60 1/8 , 90 1/4. 180half, 325 o's blow dick .

6. This bill is so strict, I wish you luck on getting your med card.

7. Latest update on HB 1

The bill has added two more sponsors...so there are a total of 8 now...unfortunately they are all Dems from the Chicago area....we really need a downstate rep or a GOP rep to sponsor

The bill has had the required 3 readings on the floor and 3 debates...and has been scheduled for a vote by the full house....

So contact your reps again.....

8. when do they vote on this?

9. I'm not certain, but I believe that the representative who introduced it can bring it up at any time. He's just going to wait until more representatives promise to vote yes on it.

10. I believe it will pass this time. They already passed the gay marriage law in IL. They're realizing that there is a huge culture change in the US ,and that marijuana is widely accepted here.

11. Its way too restrictive. No growing? 1 dispencery per county. Who is gonna grow for the dispencery?

12. what he said

13. Unfortunately, my wife will get hers with no problem, She has MS and MS is an automatic qualifier....

given the choice of medical MJ or a wife without MS - I'd take the wife without MS

14. Unless, I misread the bill (see link below, and read all 4 amendments)

The bill allows for both care-givers, and growing facilities, in fact the bill requires that all MJ provided is grow in state --no importing from other states---

Also, you are wrong on the one dispensary per county, it's worse than that, the bill allows for 66 dispensaries for the whole state....there are 102 counties in the state.....

Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of HB0001

15. Thats not good. To restrictive

16. it will be a trial run... probley couple years... shit, take what we can get..

17. The bill calls for a four year trial....and by then the state gov, will be so hooked on the income, they'll expand it.....

The bill also lays out the tax structure (it starts with a 7% tax per ounce sold by the grower)

and an interesting section says that growers, processors, and dispensaries may NOT contribute to election campaigns (I have to believe that was a demand from the anti-pot crowd)

18. So its a 4 year trial now?

Any idea when Lang might try to get a vote? And will it have to go back to the senate for a vote now?

Thanks for the info.

19. take what ya can get, then when it reverts and their knockin on your door for your 4 plants, ill still be "underground". Dont believe the systems because they tell you what you want to hear. doesnt mean they'll follow through. WAKE UP!

20. Contact your reps, lets break our lazy sterotype & do work!!!

Ive contacted mine, but fuck her though

Heres her response:
    Dear Mr. (My name),

Thank you for contacting me about the legalization of marijuana. I appreciate you taking the time to make me aware of your concerns on this important matter.

Recently, Washington and Colorado voted to legalize the recreational use of marijuana. Given the differences between state and federal law, it is clear we are in the midst of a national conversation about marijuana use and its legality. Legalizing marijuana would lower its price, widen its availability and increase the misuse of the drug, even when controls are in place. This adds a significant burden on the criminal justice system as more violations occur. Additionally, the tax revenues raised by regulating the drug would be offset by the higher social costs and public health risks. 

Part of the discussion on federal laws prohibiting marijuana use includes its various medical components. To date, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the only scientific and legally recognized body for brining safe and effective medications to the American public, has not found smoked marijuana to be either safe or effective medicine for any condition. Smoking marijuana has been found to be less effective than other legally available medicine. I support continued research on the medical uses of marijuana and examining if it can be available for medical professionals to legally prescribe if proven safe and effective. I look forward to further reviewing legalization initiatives with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle and engaging in a productive debate. Please be assured that I will keep your comments in mind should legislation regarding the legalization of marijuana be brought to the floor of the House of Representatives.    

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. Please stay in touch with me by visiting my website at www.duckworth.house.gov, where you can sign up for my email list, access my voting record and get additional information on important issues facing our country. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

The Honorable Tammy Duckworth
    Member of Congress
    Illinois' 8th District