FIRST PLANT EVER - pic of sprout - Welcome anyone's thoughts ;)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jerseymonkey, Mar 1, 2013.

1. okay...so I have 2 plants now. Just transplanted both about a week ago and they're doing fine. welcome anyone's thoughts:

TRANSPLANT FROM: 50%/50% mix of coco-choir and perlite.

TRANSPLANT TO: 50% Foxfarm Soil %25 coco-choir %25 perlite

WATERING: Been watering whenever I feel the top soil is dry. I water with filtered water that I buy from CVS and correct the PH till it's around 6.5

LIGHTS: Got them under a clamp lamp with a CFL and they're doing good. I have them on a schedule of 20 hours of light and 4 hours of complete darkness.

Here are both plants:

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of the one on the left. PLANT 1
    [​IMG]

Another close up of the left - PLANT 1
    [​IMG]

Here's the one on the right - PLANT 2
    [​IMG]

even bought a timer to help out with the lights and it's been great:
    [​IMG]

2. They are looking good buddy keep up the good work! A timer is a must and a great add! Are you feeding any yet?

Attached Files:

3. Haven't done any feeding yet.

Was waiting until they got a little bigger.

Why should I?

I bought FOXFARM's grow big, liquid plant food and

Welcome ur thoughts on nutrition.

Thanks for the encouragement amigo

Really appreciate it

-JM

4. I'm new so I just figured transplating them from coco choir perlite to the Foxfarm soil woild be enough to feed them until they got bigger. But again I'm new to this and I could 100% be wrong.

5. Great plan keep away from the nutes for a bit... keep posting ill be following your project! Fox farm is good choice

6. Looking good Bud !!
    Here are a couple of pics from my grow; coco/perlite 75/25 sprouted on 3/1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep up the good work I'm going to pull up a chair and watch!!

7. just made a new home for the kids under my sink

covered all for sides with aluminum foil and even covered the door so when I shut it, it's really surrounded by the foil
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope I'm doing this right. Thoughts anyone?

8. nice set up ;) looks really great lightsou t:cool:

9. Good move.. looks like theyre doin great! If youre keeping the door shut an investment in a small ionizer would help tons! Filter that air man! A veg closet of mine... pic att.

ForumRunner_20130322_171507.png

10. What brand and model of small ionier should I get? Welcome your thoughts amigo :)

11. I was browsing the goodwill the other day..LOL ended up purchasing three amazing fans and saw a couple ionizers in there.... Clean it up and make or purchase a new filter would work great under there!

12. #32 jerseymonkey, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
    quick update on the kids...

QUESTION #1: Plant #2 is growing way more faster and getting bigger than Plant #1. They both have the same amount of light. Is this normal?

QUESTION #2: Should I begin feeding my plants any nutrients at this point? For soil it's currently in 25% perlite, 25% coco-coir, and 50% Fox Farm

Thanks...otherwise enjoy the pics :)

[​IMG]

Plant #1
    [​IMG]

Plant #2
    [​IMG]

13. I wouldn't purchase any lights or equipment from hydroponic stores for one reason: they gouge the hell out of the prices. You're better off scouring Amazon, signing up for Prime ( which is free and can be cancelled before you get charged ) and getting lights sent to your house 2-Day air for free.

14. I agree. I've gotten most of my stuff from Amazon.

For for lighting I have them both under a CFL clamp lamp and they're doing fine ;)

But I do have 2 questions:

QUESTION #1: From the pic above, Plant #2 (one on the left) is growing way more faster and getting bigger than Plant #1 (one on the right). They both have the same amount of light and watering. Is this normal?

QUESTION #2: Should I begin feeding my plants any nutrients at this point? For soil it's currently in 25% perlite, 25% coco-coir, and 50% Fox Farm

15. To answer your first question - do all humans grow at the same rate when living in the same conditions?

To answer your second question - what's a vegan diet without supplements? The 3 part mix your sporting now will sustain your plants; however, they will not thrive unless given something else. I'd check out Jerrys sticky to making a kickass organic mix.

16. I'm too new at this to suggest what to do but I can tell you what I've done in hopes that will be of use to you. The Hydroponics store you bought your FF nutes from should have a general nute schedule they can make a copy of for you. I bought the same nutes as you. I bought FF Happy Frog soil and they suggested I wait 3 to 4 weeks once the seedling popped before feeding nutes. I was told to start with 1/4 of whatever was noted on the schedule and gradually work my way in strength. They also suggested if i water with nutes the next watering should be with plain H2O. I've had to adjust PH when using nutes as it appears the nutes impact the PH. My AK48 took it well but the Snow White didn't and I ended up tossing that one. My Wonder Woman and black Jack seeds just popped and I'll probably wait 4 maybe 5 weeks before adding the nutes. I've made a ton of mistakes since i started doing this in Feb. but thru trial and error its been a fun learning experience. I wish you good luck and will keep tabs on your thread.

17. Hey brennan - good point. People are different why should plants be any different.

Just read jerry's sticky about his organic mix and I think I'm gonna do it next time around. Gotta read it again to make sure I get the mixtures and percentages for each componet right.

Hey Zmutt - thanks for the advice amigo :) I have the foxfarm feeding schedule and I'll do it at like 1/10 strength of what they're asking and see how the plants react to that.

So in doing research I'm seeing the schedule should be like this (Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

So a typical week for adding nutrients for a plant in soil, should look like this (at least based on my research):

Day 1: feeding at 1/10 nutriet strength (making sure my water's ph is around 6 or so)

Day 2: nothing

Day 3: water plants with distilled water

Day 4: nothing

Day 5: feeding at 1/10 nutriet strength

Day 6: nothing

Day 7: water plants with distilled water

Thanks again for the input and suggestions :)

Best

-JM

18. Fox Farm's feeding schedule says to add 3 tsps of Big Bloom + 3 tsps of Grow Big.

I am going to use 1/10 of the strength of this to make sure I start off really light with nutrition.

So...

1 tsp = 70 drops from my miniature dropper

So 7 drops = 10%

So I mixed 21 drops of the Grow Big
    and
    21 drops of the Big Bloom into a gallon of distilled water.

Adjusted the ph to 6.5

Shook it all up and fed my plants for the first time.

tomorrow I won't do anything.

Then a watering.

Then a day of nothing.

Then another feeding.

etc.

Hopefully should start to see some big veg growth. will post pics tomorrow.

19. Get rid of the tin foil and give them more light.

20. Here are some quick pics of my plants. Plant #2 seems to be a little droopy. Welcome anyone's thoughts on what it could mean.

[​IMG]

Plant 1 close up - seems healthy so far
    [​IMG]

Plant 2 close up - leaves seem a little droopy
    [​IMG]

Plant 2 close up - not sure why leaves seem droppy
    [​IMG]

Thanks for checking out the pics.

-JM