400w magnetic hps ballast questions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by flyingsteve8363, Mar 1, 2013.

1. I'm running CMH bulbs and the only digital ballasts that work for them are pretty expensive and limited in wattage, etc. I'm thinking about doing the other side of my tent with a 400W retro-white using a mag ballast. This is in a bedroom that measures about 10x12 or so...

So my questions are...

How much heat does a GOOD 400w generate?
    How much noise will a 400w generate?

What is a good brand to look for?

I'm mostly concerned with noise. I don't want this unnatural buzzing sound emanating from the room.

Thanks for the advice!

2. Look at the Phillips CMH. Best CMH out there. The GE bulb performs well, too. Heat is slightly less than HPS, but the lumens will be low forty-thousands, instead of fifty-thousands with regular HPS bulbs.

In terms of noise, I'd say negligible. That, of course, is in comparison to my 400 CFM fan, which sounds like large oscillating fan or dryer running. The magnetic ballast by itself is more of a hum, but if you place it in a separate room or enclosure, it goes away. Of course, make sure that the ballast isn't covered so much as to create a fire hazard. I simply have mine in the adjacent room.

I now use my CMH for veg only (or flower if I'm in a pinch) and HPS for flower.

3. I'm already using a 250w retro-white on a digital ballast. I wanted to stay all digital but the closest I could come to a 400w would be a 375w philips cmh with digital ballast in a kit which is just shy of $600... Ya, I'll pass lol.

Priced out a mag ballast setup with a 400w retro white it's around $190 before shipping.