MM's perpetual 3x3 400w dwc

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by meowmicks, Feb 22, 2013.

1. #1 meowmicks, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
    Whats up guys, finally decided to post up my grow. Any comments or advice is welcome.

Flowering is done in a 3x3x6.5' tent with a 400w HPS on a wing reflector
    Bagseed is in an 18g tote, Blue og and Cum Laude are in 5 gal buckets.
    Using 4" round air stones, 1 in each 5 gal bucket and 2 in the 18g tote.
    Dual 6" fans for air circulation, 1 250cfm 6" fan for exhausting the tent to the attic, fresh air is pulled in thru passive vents.
    Also have a 60cfm fan circulating air below the canopy.

*edit*
    would be nice if i'd put what nutes i'm using... DOH!
    B.C. Grow
    B.C. Bloom
    B.C. Boost
    Sugar Daddy
    Awesome Blossoms
    Root 66
    Magical
    (Thrive Alive B-1 red and green but don't use em)

Bagseed sprouted 1st week of December, not sure on the exact date
    Blue OG sprouted 12/30/12
    Cum Laude sprouted 12/29/12

Bagseed was put into flowering under the 400w hps on 1/6/13
    Blue OG and Cum Laude started flowering 1/28/12

Had some PH issues when they were younger because i was testing with the liquid ph test crap and not a meter.

They seem to be pretty healthy as of now, but i'm deff still a NOOB so please treat me like one.

pics are as of 2/21/13
    bagseed 1st, then Cum Laude, then Blue OG

Attached Files:

2. Meow what are your temps ,ph n'ppm's ? and those plnts are pretty tall for a 400w can't tell without seeing yer cab though

3. Lets see if i can fill in the gap a little bit better.

Bagseed on 12/18/12
    [​IMG]

12/23/12
    [​IMG]

1/1/13
    [​IMG]

1/16/13
    [​IMG]

1/28/13
    [​IMG]

2/5/13
    [​IMG]

2/15/13
    [​IMG]

4. as of 8:40PM today 2/21/13
    Tent air temp 77*F 29% humidity
    bagseed 5.5ph, 457ppm, 65.1*F water temp
    brought ppm down from 950 over the last couple days because ph kept dropping to 5.1-5.0 overnight

Blue OG: 5.6PH, 253ppm, 66.5*F water temp
    Cum Laude: 5.8PH, 200ppm, 65.8*F water temp, this girl was showing burnt tips all over @ 300ppm.

5. Heres the whole setup.

Attached Files:

6. looks good meow ..but the other pics looks like a nute issue going on a little..are you flushing every couple of weeks? and ppm's &ph

7. ok i don't type too fast..ya you're high on the nutes imo..might want to bring it down to 700ppm@5.8 ph for awhile

8. the others have good numbers it's just the one a little high imo

9. I did have some nute issues early on, i'm almost 100% positive it was a PH issue causing nute lockout. Once i got my PH pen and was able to more closely monitor it really havent had any issues...

Except 2 days ago when i went to top off the res' and i ran out of PH up.... water was at 5.0 ph for 24 hours and caused some browning on the Blue OG. You can see it on the last pic in the 1st post.

I haven't done any flushes at all.
    Change nutes every other weekend. I mix fresh nutes with RO water and PH, an hour later i readjust PH and change the res water. When it gets low in the res i top off with RO water and re-PH. I also check the PH multiple times daily and adjust if needed. I usually aim for 5.6-5.9

Thanks Doc!

10. Throw them a flush..see how your leaf edges are raised? they're trying to dissapate some of the excess nutes imo..just a hair toxic..that stuff is cumalative so regular flushes are good all thru the cycle in my imo..all else looks way good to my eye..jj would be the one to ask about the color they are

11. I'll flush em with fresh water today.
    This is my 1st time flushing in a DWC system, just put fresh water PH'ed to 5.8 in the bucket? How long do i leave it?

12. No need to ph..i missed what type wtr you use..r/o or tap? what's the ppm's on yer tap? 200 and under is good over that you need to look into r/o..my tap is 550ppm my r/o systm gets it dwn to 80ppms..place wtr in dwc run 24 hrs ..dump & replace nutes..check ppms when you put the wtr in dwc and then check again before new nutes..the ppm should rise and that'll give you an idea if you want to go another 24 hrs on yer flush

13. I use RO water, have a 55 gallon drum filled at all times for my reef tank top off so i use that.
    My tap water is about 160ppm, RO water is 8ppm.
    Lights turn on at 4:00 so i've got a couple more hrs before i can go and do the flush.

14. So the the plants have been flushing for about 19hours.
    How do i know when to put nutes back in?

15. When i do it i do it for two reasons..i'm overnuted ..then i check ppms before i dump nutes as in OH NO! gotta flush...dump then fill r/o check ppm ..run cycle..next morn check ppms ..is it high compared to what went in ? does plnt look happier? no change at all ? if your plnt is over nuted it'll use up what on board as it does ppm will rise when levels off then add nutes and slowly bring ppm up..i'm doing that to mine right now..

For just regular maintinance flush i run cycle and just replace with nutes and don't trip on what came out on ppms ..i do wkly nute chngs and every third time i hit'm with a flush..it is a little more work and wasteful of wtr and nutes but i don't get root rot, slime and a host of problems that come with a hydro systm

16. So just to make sure i understand correctly, once the plant has used up the stored nutes the ppm in the res will start rising?

The bagseed one does look quite a bit better. Leaf tips are straightening and i think the leaves look not as super dark green.

17. almost..as it uses the stored nutes it '' craps'' and so the ppm rises kinda like peeing in the tub while you take a tub..when i was overnuted to get it down i flushed every 2-3 days for 3 wks..i had been up around 1350ppm and shoulda been around 700-800 max..stunted my bud...sounds like cal-mag lockout so the rich green from too much N..keep flushing till the numbers start coming dwn some..when you go back to nutes no more N..start using cal-mag if you have it or epsom salt @ 1tsp per gal..use your B base no more A..basically the Lucas formula

18. Just tested the bagseed ppm again, looks like its dropping back down.

The Blue OG looks way worse than it did yesterday, looks like a calcium def.
    Cum laude looks healthy so shes goin back on nutes today.

19. new nute numbers

bagseed 5.7ph 691ppm
    OG 5.6ph 538ppm
    CL 5.6ph 665ppm