Total Noob Looking for Guidance on Getting Set Up

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by unplugged, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Yeah the local hydroponics store absolutely swears by coco. They are trying to convert the masses. All I know is my dwc plants look good and grow fast but my bucket and soil plants suck. Plus consider this, do you really want to learn how to grow in soil correctly when you are just going to later abandon it for some form of hydro later probably? I would get experience with some type of hydro.

2. Ah... you see brother.. Experience for you is proven in my words.. The light, it shines and cannot be eclipsed in speculation...

Youve found through hard work and practice what I advocate in the same sense, runs under belt is everything, and in time, all is revealed...

3. Organic guys will say that's easier, hydro guys will say that is easier, that's just how it goes. Gotta do both to figure out what you lik.e. And for the record I use a lot of coco in my soil mix, it is a lot better than peat imo. My friend grows in straight coco with air pots and he loves it, but he also spent a shit load on bottled nutes. This is my soil just to throw it out there.

40 percent coco
    30 Perlite
    30 Compost and worm castings- Both sourced in the back yard and at a farm.
    Kelp Meal
    Bone Meal
    Alfalfa Meal
    Azomite and Greensand, along with some other minerals if I have them at the time.

Feed with Neptunes Harvest liquid seaweed every other watering
    Foliar with some neem and aloe and that is pretty much it unless I feel like getting creative.

This soil feeds my plants the entire grow, and I can leave my plants all alone anywhere from 3 to even 5 days if it is a 15 gallon pot.

Pulled 12.5 ounces with 3 plants under a 600 watt with this basic mix. Just throwin my 2 cents.

4. Yeah, that makes sense. I pulled the trigger on soil and bought "Fox Farm Ocean Forest Potting Soil 1.50 Cu.Ft." along with that 600W light. Maybe I will find hydro to be easier in the long run, maybe I won't, but I had to make a decision and the pro-soil argument was what was making sense to me. There's just so much I don't know that I figure it's going to be trial and error to some extent. We'll see how this goes. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll be ready to start germinating some of those seeds! :)

Thanks for all the input guys! I'll have more questions, like how to mix the soil and whatnot, once I'm done with my room construction.

5. FFOF is probably the best place to start with dirt... Add water first few weeks and it will do the rest, afterwords, when its depleted, you will see some minor yellowing indicating time to feed.

Look into grows with General Organics nutes, I ran them in FFOF and they fuckin rock! easy peasy too..

6. [quote name='"ridge"racer']FFOF is probably the best place to start with dirt... Add water first few weeks and it will do the rest, afterwords, when its depleted, you will see some minor yellowing indicating time to feed.

Look into grows with General Organics nutes, I ran them in FFOF and they fuckin rock! easy peasy too..[/quote]

Good deal! I'll look into those nutes. Thanks!