Total Noob Looking for Guidance on Getting Set Up

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by unplugged, Feb 15, 2013.

1. You need to be quiet and observe friend, Overhead and vertical growing are two different worlds..

Watch and learn, My only focus to take this grower to his maximum potential in a game Im all too familiar with..

2. That vertical light looks very cool how do you do that?

3. #23 baumeister, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
    [quote name='"ridge"racer']You need to be quiet and observe friend, Overhead and vertical growing are two different worlds.[/quote]

I believe you meant to say different angles? xD
    ya if you got the lights to the side, plants will grow a bit to the side and a bit upwards, but forming plants still isnt hard, so whats your point?
    Id probably try some wire fence to make like round semi-scrogs around the lights or just tie branches back individually as needed.

[quote name='"ridge"racer']Watch and learn, My only focus to take this grower to his maximum potential in a game Im all too familiar with..[/quote]

lol youre so full of shit :D

4. The shit you are going to be copying before long friend... Just be patient..

5. Don't forget the plant is the most important, I would go simple for your first grow. This way you won't be disappointed if something goes wrong.

6. This sounds like good advice. My only trouble is that I'm getting conflicting reports about what the simplest way to go about it is. In the absence of anyone telling me NOT to buy that 600W light I think I'm going to go for it. I'm still on the fence about hydro vs soil. That stealth hydroponics bubbleponics kit seems pretty nice and the website makes it sound easy but then they would because they're selling it.

7. The light is good & for a decent price. It'll cover a square meter( maybe up to a 4x4 area, depending on grow style) well enough.

Skip that DWC unit though IMO. You can build(or buy) better/sturdier units IMHO.

Are you set on hydro? Or can we talk you into a soil grow. It is easier for new growers IMO.

And here is why...

If you screw up in soil, like you over-fert. or knock the pH out of whack, it'll takes its time showing. Giving you more time to ID the problem and fix it before it kills your plants. Hydro can go south in a matter of hours, leaving you humped. NOW there is a flip side, you don't get quite as explosive growth( not really a noticeable factor your first grow or three) and just as quickly as hydro goes bad, it can be repariedto a certain extent. The foliage damage is fairly permanent, just you'll see new growth quicker from both the acceleration of vegative growth(no meduim or light cycle speeds up flower, just an fyi) and the fact the changes don't have to filter in, like they do in soil.

If you're absolutely set on growing in hydro, have a look at bubble buckets if you're a DIYer or into Waterfarms by General Hydroponics if you intend to purchase.

http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-%2Astep-step%2A.html

Used to know a grower who used styrofoam sheets for walls. He was in an unfinished basement too...just hung em from the rafters with map tacks. Only issues I see with the space is unlevel floors, and the dampness that comes from dirt floors. But since you intend to remedy those already.

Where you gonna pull you power from? R U gonna add to the breaker box? Or just pull an extension cord?

8. I have always done organic soil, and found it pretty easy, but I also work on an organic farm so I knew a lot of what I needed to know. Hydro makes my head hurt, seems like a lot of maintenance. Once you source all your ingredients for organic it's just set it and forget it pretty much, soil does all the work.

9. The only thing that makes hydro difficult is lack of comprehension. Wharfart doesnt know anything about hydro so he wants you to go soil cuz its all he can beef up...

Here is a hydro setup that requires a res swap once every two weeks.. Yes, I only tend the grow 4 times, a total of 6hrs worth of work for 2 months..... Hydro runs itself.

If you buffer you solution with ph adjusters, the ph wont drift and problems cant happen.

Soil, where the CEC is much higher can create a host of problems and is not possible to correct immediately within minutes as in hydro.....

Ive ran nearly every setup a grower can try, trust his advice or take it from someone who just knows whats up...

Plus, hydro yields, dirt is for the personal grower under the impression organics taste better.. The guys with the genetics know taste is based on the genetics and how healthy the plant was grown..
    [​IMG]

Only thing with hydro is I like a fresh base of pure 0ppm water before I add nutes, I know exactly whats in there this way, but this requires an RO unit..

Here is an RO that I built, auto tops my water res with an extra membrane so the water/waste ratio is 1:1
    [​IMG]

10. nice pics, but youre still full of shit.

11. Prove it... You two clowns have been saying it but people are pming me thanking me right now for putting you tools back in the bag...

I was gonna leave, but in light of the support, me thinks I will stay put...

12. I got him on ignore, so do me a favor huh? report it. this guy came looking for a fight.

I grow in hydro indoors when farming from clones.. seeds into soil as its easier to manage the different phenos in soils. just my experience. helped numerous folks here with their hydro.

Outdoors I go soil..but am gonna run a 35 gallon DWC next to a 30 gallon smartie for shit and giggles this year.

adn BTW "ridge" racer ..I've got 16 pages of photos on this site proving my worth.

now please quit trolling grasscity, with your ethereal bullshit and promises of super grower secrets from the ancient aliens or what the fuck ever your selling or trolling with.

13. dwc is old news bro, like your grow philosophy...

I can help..

Google RDWC and step your game up, Rumples bubble buckets is old news man... Sure on a smaller grow I guess..

14. [quote name='"ridge"racer']dwc is old news bro, like your grow philosophy...

I can help..

Google RDWC and step your game up, Rumples bubble buckets is old news man... Sure on a smaller grow I guess..[/quote]

wait did you just really say that ? and you call Me ignorant?

they are the same thing..just one has a water pump.......:wave: Hello McFly ???

I'm off your line, later.

15. one would expect him to at least suggest a truly different system like nutrient film or aeroponics... but that is indeed disappointing ^^

16. Listen, RDWC is controlled centrally, you guys recommend bubblebuckets.. I went one step further..

Personally every grower should be in coco, its a hydroponic medium that mimmicks soil in its day to day dealings with better yields than dirt...

Thats kinda where every big player is right now, coco, but you have to leave grasscity to know that..

17. This sounds like an argument that's spilling over from a thread on induction lighting that I read. I don't know shit about shit so I'm going to stay out of it.

@Wharfrat
    I'm not at all set on hydro. Eventually I'd like to grow hydro because I've always been under the impression you can get better bud that way but right now I just want to get my op off the ground. It makes sense to me that soil would be easier for a noob because soil is the way plants grow naturally whereas hydro has the added burden of needing to recreate the natural conditions artificially and soil has the dampening effects you describe as well so I stand a better chance of not ruining my plants if and when I make mistakes.

I've read that Fox Farms Ocean Forest is a good, or at least popular, mix.

As for power, I'm trying to decide if I should have an electrician run a new outlet down there for me or just run an extension cord. Or I could take the outlet that's already in the wall in my photo up there and just turn it around. lol Thoughts?

Oh! And I just found out yesterday that my regular guy can get me clones! I'm still gonna give my bag seeds a try and get some practice before I spend money on a plant but I'm super hype about this. :D

18. #38 "ridge"racer, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
    The premise that soil is easier is a deception my friend... I wouldnt go soil simply because its not as simple as others would have you believe..

I ran FFOF for first few years I was growing, great dirt, till the goodies run out..

Then comes the deficiencies you will have to correct for, that can only happen by feeding nutrients..

FFOF will last about 3 weeks of premium plant health, after that, depending on container size, the plant will start pulling nutrients from itself.. The soil depletes quickly friend..

I can walk you through hydro, but lets stick with coco for now if you want the ease of "soil" in terms of logistics, but the benefits of hydroponics with the nutrients you are using..

There a few nutrient profiles for coco currently, a modified lucas forumula, but if you tell me what nutrient brand you would like to use, I can tell you what proportions based on ppm to feed, this only requires measuring a ml amount of nutrients per gallon, in which I can guide you..

Follow the light, in time it will shine bright..

If you are dead set on "dirt".... And I hope not.. Lemme know, I can give you some recommendations as well, Ive grown both ways, but yields are too important to got back to dirt and slowed transpiration rates... Air in the rootzone is also critical with dirt, but to increase this we add perlite, at which point we may as well capitalize on the inherent benefits of coco, it is a superior medium in nearly every regard....

Hydroponic nutrients are for the lazy grower... Your primary focus in the beginning is plant health and learning..

19. Ridge racer is right IMO. I just started my first grow journal about 8 weeks ago and I have dwc hydro and buckets with dirt. The dwc was really a lot easier for me personally. Basically if anything shows the slightest sign of going sour you can just empty the bucket out and start over.

Hydro requires daily intervention though. If you are planning on taking a couple days off periodically maybe dirt would be best. FYI organics seem complicated as hell.

20. Great post, with coco, the benefits of both are realized... Win across the spectrum..

Hydroponics growth levels, but I can still leave town for a 3 day weekend if need be...