Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Scientific Data on optimal oil-cannabinoids ratio?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Citadel, Feb 15, 2013.

1. #1 Citadel, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
    I have been searching all over the internet for some reliable data in regards to the optimal oil-cannabinoids ratio, and I was wondering if anyone had some insight on this.

What I specifically mean is, how much oil should be used per gram of cannabis to reach the optimal saturation point. How much oil is too little such that the cannabinoids cannot fully saturate the lipids, and how much oil is too much such that oversaturation occurs, and excess oil is essentially wasted.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated

2. #2 BadKittySmiles, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
    You won't 'over/supersaturate' when making canna oil, so long as you can squeeze even just a few drops of the oil back out. Guaranteed :)

You're more likely to leave an amount of potency behind in the herb, but only held inside whatever oil you can't manage to squeeze out, than you are to saturate the oil itself with glandular material or potency, especially when working with flowers.

Consider this:

A good return when making a clean concentrate ('hash oil'/shatter/BHO etc) is only 4 - 8 grams, per oz of bud, depending on the quality and potency of the starting material. That's only roughly 4 - 8 ml of material.

So let's say you use an ounce of flowers, to one pound, or even just a half pound of butter or oil.

That's 453.59 grams or about 473 ml of butter (226.8 for a half pound), to a maximum of only 8 or so grams (at roughly 1ml each, about 8ml) of concentrate!

That's no where near what you'd need for a hash to oil ratio, in order to risk losing out on bioavailability, or extractive power. :)

A common 'rule of thumb' (but still keeping in mind that every solvent/solute scenario does vary) is to use no more solute, than you've used solvent. The solute when making canna oil is NOT the herb, but rather the concentrated potency it contains!

When working with concentrates, to make certain my oil is effective I keep to a 1 : 1 ratio or less of concentrate, to oil, erring on the side of using more oil or solvent, than I've used hash or solute.
    You can get away with using a hair more, but as it is, even a more diluted 1:2 or 1:3 'concentrate to oil' ratio is really over-kill for most patients, and an oil that concentrated generally requires additional dilution with even more unadulterated oil, just to prevent green-outs when filling and taking a single 00 (or smaller) capsule!

Unfortunately you won't find a whole lot in terms of 'scientific data' on the saturation of canna oil, where the federal government has prevented most beneficial cannabis research and often inhibits even the release of the data that is found (we ARE making progress now, though!), but at least you can put your mind at ease that when working with just flowers and oil, you'll never come close to having more glandular material than the oil can work with... particularly if you're using enough oil to actually get a decent return upon straining :p (you'll always have a tiny bit of oil that's impossible to strain from the spent herb, however, it CAN be extracted or washed out by using warm alcohol, then evaporating the alcohol to leave behind your oil.. fat/oil is slightly more soluble in alcohol, and cannabinoids are MUCH more soluble in alcohol, than water, this is why we choose to opt for warm alcohol to reclaim canna oil from the 'waste' herb. It also pulls in fewer bitter plant salts than water).

Hope this helps! :) :wave:

3. #3 ShantiSena, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2015
    Is it possible for a simple equation? 1gm fat = x%THC capacity ... that is what super saturation means i think ... or maybe it's the saturation point that defines capacity.?
    tnx gr8 thread and I have started a Cookoo for Coco science thread for this info today and will put all research data forthcomming.

BKS writes ...
    As far as super-saturated oil goes, you want to be certain you're using
    at least a bit more solvent, than solute; most frosty medical flowers
    are capable of producing between 3g - 5g relatively pure
    cannabinoid/terpene containing resin. With this in mind, we usually
    suggest using no less than 0.5Tbsp - 1Tbsp per ounce. A solution is
    formed more easily further away from the saturation point, and it
    provides a broader margin for error

Now I do have tons of respect for her BUT ...I don't care about anything but what is maximum ammount of THC one gram of coco fat holds, so i'll know that my dosage is exact or near.

WTF science girl, where's the "X" in the X;Y;Z equation?

...most frosty medical flowers(qty?wt?) are capable of producing 3g-5g relatively pure "goodies"
    (sorry BKS but you're data is incomplete)

if i do some crazy reverse math i can find the percentage of THC in the strain but all in all this math and these answers are about not wasting THC vs making most potent THC. almost think we need a contest to see who can make the best coco oil canna butter based on science.

when we get 'The Majic Number we wont need this math except to not waste material, putting a pound of buds to a pund of butter extracting only like 1/10th of usable material... and i get it but when dosage is mre important than waste, it's another game entirely, but the others will benefit from the research and hopefully helps educate and save time with redundant experiements.