Whats best? HPS,MH,HID,LED,T5, or CFLs?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by PuffDaddy420, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In your opinions

I know that HPS is the most popular lighting used.
    But I heard that HID is the best of the best.
    So what's your favorite and WHY?
    Include wattage too please
    Thanks for your input

2. HPS an MH are both HID light systems. HID stands for High Intensity Discharge. These are the best option IMO. HPS is sufficient for both veg and flowering stages. MH is more for veg and HPS are better for flowering due to their color spectrums. I only run HPS. Wattage will vary by the size of your space. I personally use a 600w for a 4ft x 4ft space.

3. depends on how much money you have to spend and the size of the grow really.

whats best is what you can do to meet those two needs. i use ceramic metal halide 400 watt unit's. if i could afford it i think i may look into plasma lighting but just like the high end LED's they cost much cheddar still.

4. Induction,led,hps,flouro's in that order...

Im basing this on par wattage,

1k hps only has 450w worth of light a plant can use, the rest is heat energy..

600w hps only has 220w worth of par wattage a plant can use..

Led is all par, but lacks in wavelength diversity, this is slowly changing..

Induction light owns all imo... Par wattage.. Spectrum, frequency stability...

On monday, every grower in the world is going to see what induction lights are capable.. Ill post the live growroom walkthough here when I do..

5. I use basic fluoro grow bulbs for clones, T5's and T8's for vegetative plants, and a 1000w HPS lamp for flowering. There are definitely better bulbs out there though, my friend swears by CFL ballasts (the good ones, not cheap single bulb shit)

6. This is the correct answer.

7. #7 "ridge"racer, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
    Partially, I can kill a 600w with an induction light, which trumps a 6 by 200 par watts and only consumes a total of 400w... In fact, a 1k hps only has 50w par in more usable light than a 400w induction light...

I agree with everything else in his statement..

Par owns, Plants dont see lumens...

8. [quote name='"ridge"racer']Partially, I can kill a 600w with an induction light, which trumps a 6 by 200 par watts and only consumes a total of 400w... In fact, a 1k hps only has 50w par in more usable light than a 400w induction light...

I agree with everything else in his statement..

Par owns, Plants dont see lumens...[/quote]

I agree that plants don't see lumens. This Induction lighting is new to me, but looks pretty awesome. A little costly at first but I have yet to file my taxes. It appears it will pay for itself in other costs. Thanks for putting that out there I will continue researching it.

9. When I said next monday when this video log is updated that growing will change forever, I promise, I wasnt lying...

yeah, 2400 watts.. This dude shut down the servers on the mag with the news.. Get ready....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzZSCkU3IKQ]20130204 025606 - YouTube[/ame]

10. #11 mikeschill56, Feb 14, 2013
    MH for vegging...HPS for flowering. HPS is the best all around though. both 250watt:D

11. I mean the best of intentions and mean no disrespect friend, but that is the lie we were all sold..

Street lamps.. As my homie Zodiac says, lumens are for humans!

Next week, all skepticism will be converted to respect for the intuitive work of one man...

12. [quote name='""ridge"racer"']

I mean the best of intentions and mean no disrespect friend, but that is the lie we were all sold..

Street lamps.. As my homie Zodiac says, lumens are for humans!

Next week, all skepticism will be converted to respect for the intuitive work of one man...[/quote]

Lets see your induction grow pics, new lighting is always good to see

13. Lets see your induction grow pics, new lighting is always good to see[/QUOTE]

He's not growing with induction lights, he knows of someone who is.

I think.

14. Please, the "pics or or didnt happen" is what shut down the server on the mag..

Friend, I implore you, I beg of you... If you can wait until monday 10pm I will show you exactly whats going on..

Pics prove nothing, this is going to be as in your face objective as a video can possibly be... Ive no control over this, I am not the grower in the video..

15. #16 "ridge"racer, Feb 14, 2013
    The lights Im using need to be manufactured still... Im still rockin my two 600w space heaters in vert...

I do have pics of that... Over head is a can 150 carbon filter spanning the length of my octogons..

This setup is getting binned, and I just pulled 1.5 gpw, youd think I was happy with that right? lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. [quote name='""ridge"racer"']

Please, the "pics or or didnt happen" is what shut down the server on the mag..

Friend, I implore you, I beg of you... If you can wait until monday 10pm I will show you exactly whats going on..

Pics prove nothing, this is going to be as in your face objective as a video can possibly be... Ive no control over this, I am not the grower in the video..[/quote]

Pics can prove good yields. What would a video prove that photos wont?

17. Yea, you guys have fun with that. Its all theory with no proof without a harvest. That is a cool setup, but really nothing more than a huge vertical sog.

18. [quote name='"ridge"racer']The lights Im using need to be manufactured still... Im still rockin my two 600w space heaters in vert...

I do have pics of that... Over head is a can 150 carbon filter spanning the length of my octogons..

This setup is getting binned, and I just pulled 1.5 gpw, youd think I was happy with that right? lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/quote]

That is a bad ass and very intuitive setup bro, nice fuckin work!

19. Not theory, its been going on for 3 years now, this is the first you are hearing about it.

You dont have all the information on the grow yet other than its consuming 2400w..

Whether you care or not, the results will be there for all to see.. Again, Im not the grower, just in the know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.