Obama to increase minimum wage to 9 dollars.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Josh Jones, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Even if all you said is true, he is still a skilled worker and his use of the term is in proper context.

You don't have to belittle people just for the sake of doing so.

2. Since when are undergrads without years of experience considered skilled workers? If that's true, then I'm technically a skilled worker...

3. At age 22 I had about 7 years of work experience, so surely it is feasible that a person aged 22 has acquired a usable skill since then, right?

4. Yes, it is feasible they have acquired a usable skill, but I've never seen the term 'skilled worker' to include every Joe who knows how to do something in their early twenties. I have about I'm 20 and have 5 solid years of work experience as a computer technician and plenty of non-professional training/practice before that. Does that mean I can call myself a skilled worker? lol

5. "An individual that is knowledgeable about a specific skill or trade. An auto mechanic is one example of a skilled worker because they posses extensive knowledge about repairing an automobile."

You probably are. It's not really an elitist or pretentious term. It seems like it just means specialization to me.

6. I've always seen the word used to signify a lot of experience or graduate training in certain fields, like in visa application requirements for skilled worker categories.

7. I would think so. Five solid years of a computer tech sounds pretty good to me.

I personally know people much older than that who have BA's and can't say that they have five years of anything.

edit: about visa applications, that's a special circumstance. they are competing with people who are already here and have to stand out and be extremely exceptional

8. I guess it can be used in different ways. It's very vague.

I get what you're saying though. I wouldn't personally declare myself a bamf because I have very limited bookkeeping/ledger and tax knowledge. That would be absurd.

9. It's relative. I have three years of experience (full-time, paid) within my field.

10. And the creepiest user in the politics section award goes to.......!!!!

11. I get bored from time to time...deleted the post because youre right its just unnecessary. :smoking: