Removing fan leaves.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by LetGo, Feb 10, 2013.

1. In week 1-2 of flower and my plants so dense it's hard to just tuck the fan leaves under bud sites. Is it ok to remove maybe say half the fan leaves to increase light to bud sites/ co2 flow?

2. you can deffinatly prune and trim and tidy them up, remove some fans that get in the way,, ive also seen people Bonsai them in a way where you leave only one blade per set of leaf throughout the entire plant all except the newest leaves closest to the growing tips, this somehow directs nutrients into the growing tips of the plant instead of all the leaf sets jockying for the nutrients,, check out "super crop them hoes" on youtube thats where i seen it

3. That's like destroying all the factories in a city. Fan leaves are very important to production. Do your best to only pull fan leaves that are more than 50% dead or if your training like scroging or lollipopping. Try and lightly bend the leaves downwards if they're shading budsites, or spread out the branches if you can

4. Had you seen this bonsai'n before I had just stumbled across it on youtube, the guy does it to a entire crop he must see increases in yield otherwise he wouldnt do it because he has "un" bonsaid ones but he opts for that method,, I dont know if its right or wrong let me please enthasise that first, but its like the set of leaf doesnt die because he leaves that one blade on it, and you can see where hes coming from in terms of nutrients getting to the grow tip I would imagine lesser amonts would be getting to them tips if there was a whole lot more leaves taking them up, and you could argue more leaves then more photosynthesis would takes place which would be the Gods honest true, but then all that photosynthesis would be going into all them leaves,, bringing it down to size and pulling all the factorys down in the City down might just leave room for the more important one to expand

5. 2 weeks in flower is the perfect time to supercrop. Thats the best way to get light into the interior of the plant.

6. If fan leaves are under direct light then you really shouldn't mess with them. If they are dying or under a lot of shade near the bottom then they aren't serving too much purpose, and you can pluck them. The idea behind removing fan leaves is to remove very few leaves to vastly improve overall light penetration for the whole plant. If you continuously pluck leaves you are slowing growth and in turn decreasing overall yield. If your not doing a certain training technique, then it's best to leave them alone

7. Agree with BYO, I never remove healthy leaves from plants unless I'm scrogging.

8. Look into supercropping

9. Yup, like BYO said, i wouldn't prune them. especially not half of them! If one or two look like shit and are just in the way anyway then yeah snip it off. but i wouldn't just go cutting all my fan leaves off. The big fans absorb so much energy from your light which in turn supplement your entire plant and help produce bigger fatter stickier nuggets. I'd bend/tie branches and tuck leaves every single day before i chopped them off.

10. I'm getting the feeling no one is understanding what supercrop is...lol...sorry lol.

11. No I totally agree, GarillaGrower did this with great success. Definitely a great technique to allow more light

12. I know what super cropping is. I personally don't like bending/pinching my branches to the point of snapping while they're in flower. Stress = recovery time = longer flowering time. I'm sure it works because plenty of people do it, i just wouldn't want to do it to my girls while they're already in flower. That seems like a training method you would use while they veg so they can recover and your not sacrificing your yield by snapping branches

13. Why would you not just tie down a branch to allow more light to hit the cola instead of snapping it? It's in flower already. This is a HIGH stress technique. Why not use a LOW stress technique and simply bend your branch and tie it down. If you are only looking to get more light to an area and are choosing between the two techniques this seems like a no brainer to me

14. I understand. I was reluctant also. I only do it to certain strains where it is necessary. Week two is the perfect time.
    Your right about the recovering. But it seems the plant sends most of its energy to repair the bend. Which makes for larger colas. I have never noticed an extension in flowering time.
    But there's more than one way to grow.