Planning a trip to Jamaica

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by sodope28, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Hello, i come from canada, and am planning a trip to jamaica. I live in canada, and the trip is not that expensive. I would like to know what are great destinations around jamaica, any personaly recomendation for hotels, or expiditions? and finally, how easy/risky is it to obtain marijuana when a tourist over there?
    Thanks in advance

2. i was raised in ochos rios, go there lovely weed and lovely people

3. #3 stevizzy, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
    I agree Ochie is a great place to start after you arrive in Montego Bay or Kingston. OchoRios is at the base of the Blue Mountains, where all the good ganja and coffee is grown. Take a ride up the "Fern Gully" road, it's like a trip back in time as you climb the first step of the mountains. The road is narrow and twisty, almost dark during the day due to the intense thick tropical plants. Once you pop out at the top into the sunlight, you're in for a treat driving around. Rent a bike or car for this trip or hire a cab driver for the afternoon. Rates are always negotiable. Once you're up in the mountains, away from the hoards of street hustlers, getting some GOOD weed is as simple as stopping by one of the small huts that sell beer and cigs. Get a RedStripe beer, hang out and talk with the locals. They love Canadians, and Brits. Soon you'll be puffing on a splif of some prime Jamaican.

Also, in the other direction from Montego Bay is Negril. Probably won't need a car there one you arrive. It's a chill area on the West End of the Island, famous for it's sunsets, booze, and party atmosphere. Ganja is everywhere. You'll smell it just walking around in the evening when everyone chills with weed. You'll find the best weed from the Rasta Men, away from the Hotels and street thugs. Ask for Lamsbread or Thyme and they'll know you're not a niave tourist just off the cruise ships. It helps if you learn a few phrases in the Rastafarian dialect. There are plenty of websites to learn how to "Speak Jamaican". Don't call anyone or anything a bloodclot.....LOL!
    except for the Police!!!

You'll love Jamaica, I consider it my second home and have been there nearly 30 times. I love the Island, culture and the people. Don't be stupid and act like a fool, and don't believe the things you hear about getting shot or murdered. Sure, that can happen anywhere but you'll be able to spot the thieves and criminals quite easily. DON'T TRUST THEM Soon, you'll find the true Jamaicans are quite friendly, enjoy talking and sharing stories with tourists. Just don't be a jerk by walking around drunk or smoking weed, or flashing money openly. Be careful and have fun.

4. thanks for the reply its really helpful to the planning of the trip

5. did you plan your trip yet, im trying to decide between negril, montego bay or ocho rios.

6. Jerk chicken, mon!

7. id pick negril just because the name

8. I picked negril. Cant wait ill be posting mad bud pics when i go. For 7 days my hotel room is gonna cost $720 and my flight was $400 round trip if anyone is wonderin.

9. #9 stevizzy, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
    Negril is gonna be awesome. It's like walking around in a cool Jungle beach barefoot, just chilling. Ochie would be a cool day trip up into the mountains on the FernGully Road......it's an easy day trip on a scooter you could rent in Negril. (Sorry guys, they don't rent Harley's) Then you could checkout some of the mountains and coastal roads along the Caribbean Sea as you ride.

Be careful...bring a lot of sunblock if you're on a bike. In the morning from Negril, you'll be riding into the sun for a few hours, then the hot sun in the mountains is directly overhead, Later, you'll be toasted by then and on the way back to Negril, you'll be riding home looking at the sunset. I got burned REAL BAD my first time...sunblock is your friend.

WOW....have fun in Jamaica.....I love that place.

10. Sodope, I recommend driving around the island. It's like 20-30 bucks for a cross island trip. Negril and Ochos are the best weed spots. Negril is super cheap weed, but Ochos tends to have blue mountain weed, and Montego Bay and Ochos tend to be more tourist traps. So stay away from spotty deals etc.. Just be sensible. My father had gone to Jamaica since the early 70s, so until recently we had gone to Negril every year, it became that we couldn't afford it.

11. this friend of mine is from jamaica and wants to me to go with her in dec of this year. i m trying save up and do the whole holiday thing.

12. OP when you go you have to meet Captain Crazy, search him up on youtube and he might even smoke you out.

13. Ochio rios is beautiful try and do the bob marley tour its very awesome and very moving man have a good time smoke a spliff for me

14. Isn't Jamaica rather unsafe crime-wise?

15. exactly what i was gonna post

as far as i know , alot of people are packing heat down there, and snatching crimes are rampant

16. Went to Negril in 2011 and it was the best place I've ever been too.

Cheap weed, great weather, great people and great food.

I wish I could go back!!
    And someday I definitely will.

17. Go to Montego Bay and go to the holiday inn sunset resort haha. All the tourists are beautiful there with their cute little British accents. And if you're crazy like me and my cousins are, you can go out down the road and look for weed that's good quality at very cheap tourist prices

18. Thanks for the help, I didn't reserve the trip yet still just planning it. First time there so wanna make sure I plan it right

19. Sure, if you go to the ghetto. That goes for anywhere else in the world though.
    Tourist spots and the country should be quite safe. Remember if tourist get fucked up, the tourism sector takes a hit.

Just use common sense OP and you should be safe.

20. The City just as almost anywhere in the world you might go can be unsafe if you're stupid. Stay alert, trust your instincts and you'll be OK. The locals are usually nice people and quite friendly but everyplace has criminals. Just be cool until you meet a few nice locals and get to know them. They'll steer you away from any problems. As they say a lot down there...."No Problem":D