NorCal Growers Respect Thread

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Gold Hill Ganga, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #45201 Sgtstadanko707, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2015
    I figured out why all those led light are so much cheaper then the exsoensive ones.
    The true diamond series lights run on 10watt diodes.
    Snoop on here has them and his plants look killer. He did say he spent almost 2k for a 1600 watt light.

Check out his video. It's about half way down.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/marijuana-news-usa/1362403-when-comes-energy-indoor-marijuana-isn't-green.html

2. When choosing an LED system, there are a few there are a few things to look for:

1) a good warranty that lasts for 3-5 years at least
    2) ask for a PPFD chart with measurements taken in μmols/m2/sec. Only a PPFD chart will show you the intensity that a light has over a particular coverage area. Many companies will claim that their lights cover a wider area than they actually do or that their lights will replace 1000w HIDs when it just isn't true. If a company offers you lumens or lux or is hesitant about providing a PPFD rating, then they probably aren't a company you want to use. Lumens and lux are based on human eye sensitivity and have nothing to do with plant growth.

Most modern cannabis varieties require about 1500 μmols/m2/sec for optimal growth. For reference, a 1000w HPS emits about 1800 at 12".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23572895

3)make sure that they use 3w or greater chips
    4) make sure that there are more colors than just red and blue and avoid companies that target peak PAR claiming that plants only need red and blue based on a basic PAR graph
    5) look for a rating of IP65 or higher if possible
    6) make sure that they use quality LED components like Cree or Epistar
    7) don't get confused by all of the fancy LED terminology like COB, MCOB etc. Educate yourself.

View attachment Protocol Winter 2013 - Chip on Board-1.pdf

3. Its absolutely absurd how companies say their 800 watt light that only pulls 400w at the wall will out perform a 1000w. It's complete bullshit and preys on the unexperienced.

4. #45204 risingsun, Mar 29, 2015
    thank you for all the awesome information i was also looking at the Spyder LED grow lights they had a good coverage area and i like the way they are setup. I'm not to worried about how LED work and all i know all the mechanics and constrution it takes to build one but still will refresh my memory. I do electrical wiring im a Electrical Mechanical and Instrumentation Technology tech

5. my 1600 watt mars 2 led that draws 750 at the wall does indeed outperform a 1000 hps

6. I know this might be pretty expensive and out of others price ranges but this is what i was looking at as far as it went as going full LED i will try the Mars 22 first because they have the best reviews and overall perform well. Then i will be looking to upgrade to this light setup, opinions and input welcomed greatly: http://www.bmlhorticulture.com/spydr-1200-grow-max-spectrum/

7. That is a nice light but is definitely pricey for the intensity. 3G's when it puts out 1000-1250μmols at 12".

Another similar light is this one from Illumitex:

http://growershouse.com/blog/illumitex-neosol-ds-led-grow-light-review-test/

The lights I am using are from Amare Technologies which are the highest intensity for the price that I have seen:

www.amaretechnologies.com

The solareclipse350 that I have puts out 1861μmol/m2/sec at 12" distance and the MSRP is $895.

In the coming years, I expect efficiencies to increase and prices to decrease for sure, though.

8. thank you i will check these out also i just like how the LED can be adjusted fully to get coverage someone would like.

9. Wait zombie so would you say that the mars II is a reliable company/model. Currently using a 600 watt mh for veg and my biggest disadvantage is temp and I have to plan my on hours very wisely as temps are rising here slowly. How much heat would you say your 1200 watt adds to ambient temps? If I were to go LED I'd put two 700W's just so that I can take advantage of every inch in my box ahahah

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. I think the mars lights are a good bang for your buck.

11. Sure man. If you have an instagram acct, you can see their test grows on ganja @solarspec

12. #45212 SubliminalWeeney, Mar 29, 2015
    F'ing mobile app.

13. #45213 SubliminalWeeney, Mar 29, 2015

14. I'll definitely be considering them if all goes good with my first or second time around. Just looking to come out even first and then I'll have to do a little more studying into LED and such. Any that may be a little more pricey, but worth it?

15. Thanks for all the info you guys I will be doing some more research and pricing them out

I can't read Chinese!!!

16. #45216 donothinggardening, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
    Definitely do your research. A lot of gimmicks out there especially with LED grow lights. Take everything you read with a grain of salt. If a company is afraid of science or hesitant to answer the hard questions with evidence to back their claims, then they don't need your busniess. It's a big investment and lights are one of the most important parts of your indoor grow. Don't buy anything without knowing it's exactly what you want.

17. I do have a basic understanding of genetics and breeding. This isn't exactly what I was asking but thanks for the reply. I'm NOT talking about mixing f1's with f2's. I'm talking about having multiple clones of the same female, all getting hit with pollen from the same male. All the seeds are the same mother genes and the same father genes. So do you still think they need to be kept separate? Seeds from clone one vs seeds from clone two. Unless there was a mutation in one of the clones, I see no season the seeds would be different from one clone to her sister clone.

18. Do stressors have an effect on genetic mutations?

19. To clarify, I flowered out the two clones at the same time as their mother. That is why they all got hit with the same male.

20. Mjmama--you hit two clones of the same plant with the same pollen--they are the same. I would mix them. No worries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.