Do plants respond to vibration

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by bizie, Jan 25, 2013.

1. hmmmm Ive got a runt I can try this vibration on. Ill probably just make an offset motor with a DC inverter

2. Bizie you went buck wild on them tote lids :D

I do something similar but am just amazed at the plastic and the stress that it can take. Roots look great bro. I can't stand seeing nasty brown slime roots makes me cringe :eek:

3. Lol yea I sure did and it was all with a Dremel by hand. Wish I would of just bought the hole saw. Derrr... Yes, I like to learn the hard way :eek:

Thanks on the roots. I attribute that to a light dose of food grade h2o2 and no organic material in the reservoir.

4. It seems to be responding well to vibration. It is obvious the plant that is being stimulated but if you cant tell then its the one on the right if you're looking at the pics. More roots and a taller more vigorous plant. So far the only flaw or change in the experiment has been the pump was not directly touching the plant for some days (no direct vibration). Even the plants surrounding the stimulated plant seem to be liking the ambient vibes. This is pretty cool.

Attached Files:

5. Some posts on GC are so high, like they are in ORBIT, once there they never rest, and every now and then ...they continue to fly by.

peace
    "V"

6. Not to revive a dead one, but my girls get the best treatment. I talk to them, got some sublime and 311 for them, and if I feel like reading they can listen :) . Idc the reasons why it (might possibly) work but I put love into it and they repay me latter on with quality. A little love can go a lot further then all the tricks out there I think.

I only feel bad when I have to kill them, we bonded. :(

7. We have been working with Vibrating plants for over 5 years.  While our plant shakers were originally designed for pest control, we have experienced what seems to be stronger roots and greener plants reported by some growers of different kinds of plants.   We believe the effect is similar to the way the wind exercises plant roots causing them to grow stronger.  We have spent  a lot of time perfecting the application of vibrations in a controlled manner but in ways that wont damage the plants. We believe there is a very strong correlation to positive growth.   We can also control the vibrations to controlled profiles thus giving the plant time to rest. 

8. I love it! Thanks for your input! I would love to test these out. I have a reoccurring stink bug issue and often see russet mite damage. I'm a talented grower with around eight years experience of perpetual growing.

Studies show that they prefer classical music. I would think that sounds more like nature sounds (i.e bird songs, insects, thunder).

I also watched a nature show where they said a scientific study proved plants prefer the acknowledgement of certain animals and or incests due to the fact they feel they think they will be pollinated easier so they are less stressed and respond better, little do they know...no pollen will ever come :)

I'm not sure the link to the music study that I'm familiar with but I do remember it has to do with the plants lean angles towards the music. They like it when you talk to then from the vibrations your sound waves give off. Similar to music but also added co2.  I do like what your doing though. I've always said "this is grown with love and that's why its the best".

9. I actually think the vibrations might help stimulate stronger roots and might help with Stink Bugs at the same time.   If you read about stink bugs , they communicate via sending vibrations through the plant stalks so I would imagine the vibrations may interfere with that communication.  I am not  familiar with russet mites although I see on the internet that they are very small.  The vibrations are not continuous so my guess is it might not help with the mites but You really cant tell until you try it.     With AC power, you can vibrate almost continuously which is what we do for birds and fruit flies in cherries but that could also be harder on the plant.   It takes a little experimentation to get right for the right pest.  We have seen on bug that it didn't affect at all.  That is the box elder bug.  They were bothered but they didn't move much. 

10. I hire sombody to stand in my growroom screaming and shouting insults at my plants.

I figure it will piss off my plants, making them quickly grow towards the noise in hopes of puncturing his neck...

11. your air strip is giving out more bubbles the closer it is the to the air pump/source.

12. #52 bizie, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
    This guys a genius. :rolleyes:

I don't use strips, they are for walmart growers, I use disks or cylinders. In this case I used three stones to make sure every plant had adequate D.O. The most stimulated plant was the furthest from the pump. About 12 inches further. So this is not true but a good theory. Normally I use one high output pump spread through eight individual plants and the spread is visually very even. I dont have or know of any other way to test the individual out put of each stone.

The testing was and is conclusive. Especially after reading all of the information provided on the www.bugvibes.com website. It also did stimulate the plants tested through bugvibes. It seems my idea was a great one but was already deep into development. Too bad I couldn't find the bugvibes info during the testing, that would have been great. I was researching plant vibrations, vibrations stimulating plants, never thought to think of vibrations deterring insects. GENIUS. :hello:

Further more testing has proven a advantage to using subsonic sound waves or a patent device called the biowave. These devices are specifically targeted towards plant stimulation. They claim a average of 25% increase in yield through their testing. The devices aren't cheap but it seams the bugvibes aren't either. More info can be obtained through www.biowaveindustries.com Id love to have one....I'm all in at the moment. :smoking:

13. boiwave = phototron ...just with out the useful parts for growing plants.

and one grow hardly is conclusive.....anf ton link to a companty that sells shit to uneducated idiots is also a.... how to you say it ? not a legitimate source.

let me see some peer reviewed shit or GTFO

14. must be why cali has the best weed...all the earthquakes :laughing:

15. Hahahah! 

Hahaha jesus christ!

So what if we were to replace speakers with subwoofers? I'm going to esssperiment.

16. #56 pointswest, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014

"one grow is hardly conclusive"

Wharf, you hit the nail on the head on this one. Agricultural studies are never done on small numbers of plants. You keep seeing growers state they will do a side by side experiment to prove their point. Two plant studies are worthless and prove nothing. A real horticultural study compares thousands of plants before reaching conclusions and the same results must be replicated by other growers using the same controls to validate initial conclusions.

Growers using Mythbusters for answers to their problems forget that this show is for entertainment purposes and are not really busting myths. The music testing they did on this show is one of the most flawed horticultural conclusions I have ever seen. Try searching horticultural .edu sites for accurate information on growing.

PW

17. I used to write songs for my plants and sit out in the garden with an aucustic guitar and throw hellified concerts for them. Their favorite song was "grow baby grow!".

I would like to get more insight on this through science as I also beleive that plants respond to vibration.

One time my next door neighbor saw me singing to my plants and he went and got his shotgun and starting firing at me. I was all like WTF??

18. I hate when I hear people say this. Very ignorant statement. The same weed comes out of any state but since there is so much more good weed in cali it gets distributed further down the line and you get your hands on it. Other states have a shortage of good weed so it doesn't make it much further then the growers friends and or patients.

yea it was a joke...Ive been growing over a decade in michigan so i wouldnt know about californias distribution :smoking: