Organics Lounge

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by mosesnumb, Jan 25, 2013.

1. #10341 waktoo, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

If you bought some FFOF, put some in a pot, and kept it wet, I'm sure you would have a never ending supply of fungus gnats to feed them.  You know, instead of having to buy expensive crickets.  :poke:

Cool traps, man.  What have you decided to plant them in?  I'd really like to see how big those things will get.  To be honest, I'm not sure if they get much bigger than that.  More heads, but not bigger heads...

[​IMG]

2. #10342 Gandalf_the_Green, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014

Actually well made Biochar should be 95-100% fixed carbon.  Poorly made biochar will end up like lump charcoal- 50-60% fixed carbon, 30-40% tar, and about 10% labile carbon.  The tar is what makes charcoal good for burning.  

Fixed carbon is the goal.  That's what makes it last so long in the soil (why we can still see the Terra Preta from farming 1,000 years ago).  Fixed carbon is also what makes bio-char so porous, with such high CEC, and such a good adsorb-er (and sequester-er).  Biochar has more of it than lump charcoal.

Edit: Which isn't to say that poorly made bio-char is completely ineffective..... just somewhat less effective....

I'm sitting on a million dollars then. :yay:

4. #10344 420inMI, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
    The app works perfect for me. If you are using the browser (which I believe Jerry does) on your phone to upload, the pictures you use have to be taken in with the phone held sideways (landscape mode) in order for them to come out right. That's my experience anyhow.

5. I'm gunna throw it on my rows.. just wonderin if it's better for spring or fall.. i'm gunna guess fall that way everything is down and i could just let it go.. but i'm just curious. Gunna throw down some oat/peas though. Can't find local clover seeds but i've been finding wild clover and just potting it up lol

6. Is this Sour Diesel going to be OK? It's not opened out of the seed yet.

Attached Files:

7. ^ ive had plenty of seedlings do that and they usually come out ok. I've had a few drop on me though. Once you see those cotyledons start pushin out just try and remove the seed

8. I hope so as this is my favorite weed. :(

9. both of my moby dick seeds did this this morning. i just pulled the shell off tenderly and theyre fine. 

10. #10350 MotaMike, Apr 24, 2014
    It's risky pulling these "helmet heads" off as people call them on the pepper forum.
    Wondering if I should leave it or what? Not sure if misting it would do anything.

11. Just give it a little squeeze and it will eventually pop off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Thanks MrTea. I just did that and it came off. :yay:
    Cannabis seeds are much easier to remove apparently than pepper seeds in this situation.

13. #10353 jerry111165, Apr 24, 2014
    NO.

j

Edit - just how bad (compact) is it?

14. This is true of my helmet head.

15. #10355 sweet_island_matt, Apr 24, 2014
    I would think water would help soften it to crack open. Pulling off the plant top is NFG.

16. Man, I need to slow down in here (at GC) or something - I just came back from eating dinner to 54 assorted Notifications... In one hour... Lol

J

17. Your the man with the plan jer
     Me too:)

18. #10358 MotaMike, Apr 24, 2014
    Cool! This is my daytime go-to weed as it gives me energy to get things done at home.
    I never, ever use it before work.
    I guess it's the Sativa that causes that huh?

19. I don't know what the best method is Matt as I have seen so many opinions it's hard to say.
    I gave it a little squeeze a couple of times and it fell off and the cotyledon looked good underneath. :)

20. I'm sorry to waste your time jerry I should have been more clear in what I made. My goal was to make it equal parts humus (forest ewcs, com lobster, and homemade ewcs), peat, and aeration (buckwheat hulls perlite). Added my choices of amendments (pretty much itg mix). I used perlite bc it's half the price of buckwheat hulls for me not because I wanted too. So I have about a 40% humus, 40%peat, and 20% aeration. I tried researching outdoor organic soils but couldn't find anyone saying that you should construct them differently than indoor (aside for guerilla growers who do it out of necessity). All, Thanks for the continued advice!